Front Bumper Air Dam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also tried removing mine unbolted everything on my color matched bumpers and it didn't budge. If it weren't for my airdam my bumper wouldn't be cracked right now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the rain clears up today Im gonna attempt to dremel those 2 "molded" connections on the outside. Hopefully try to figure something out

OP
OP
M

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Approx 1000KM later 60 hwy / 40 city there is zero noticeable difference in mileage without the air dam. Too Craigslist it goes!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mambo Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The air dam helps to smooth the airflow under your truck and avoid all the under carriage "stuff" that would create turbulence and drag.

It also helps to pull air out of the engine compartment with the smoother flow under the truck keeping the engine cooler

Yeah, most people don't realize this helps a ton with lowering the pressure behind the radiator. This is why, despite not liking it, I've left mine on. I live and commute in south Florida, and it is way too hot down here most times of the year to go reducing the cooling ability of a modern engine.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am thinking about trimming mine while it is on the bumper (gotta love a dremel). I will be leveling it soon enough, so the next time I have a few minutes to spare, I will be giving it the buzz cut.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ramzan said, "It also helps to pull air out of the engine compartment with the smoother flow under the truck keeping the engine cooler."

Would like to know the source of that statement. I asked my service manager the function of the air dam and he said it was there to reduce air drag and enable mileage improvement.

I drive 90% local and 10% fast freeway in normal SoCal weather, some in 100%+ degree heat and very seldom in cold weather. My front end is leveled and the air dam removed. I see no difference in modified mileage vs when it was stock. I can report that with no air dam the GDE tune increased my local mileage by 3 mpg.

If the air dam does also keep the engine cooler there’s been no increase in any of my temps with it removed. But it would be nice to know if the statement is valid.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ramzan said, "It also helps to pull air out of the engine compartment with the smoother flow under the truck keeping the engine cooler."

Would like to know the source of that statement. I asked my service manager the function of the air dam and he said it was there to reduce air drag and enable mileage improvement.

I drive 90% local and 10% fast freeway in normal SoCal weather, some in 100%+ degree heat and very seldom in cold weather. My front end is leveled and the air dam removed. I see no difference in modified mileage vs when it was stock. I can report that with no air dam the GDE tune increased my local mileage by 3 mpg.

If the air dam does also keep the engine cooler there’s been no increase in any of my temps with it removed. But it would be nice to know if the statement is valid.

All air dams by design are to create low pressure zones thus drawing more air through the radiator. The abundance of high pressure air in front of the air dam (bumper side) and a lack of or low pressure on the back side will create a pressure differential and air will flow more from the high pressure to the low pressure. When the air dam is located at the bottom of the radiator it aids in cooling quite a bit but usually at speeds of 35-45mph and up. As speed is required to create the pressure differential. Some people might not notice a change due to over efficient circumstances (cooler climates, less traffic or just that they don't realize the electric fan kicking on more to help keep the temps down) but they do work very well and mechanically will never break or wear out. I have a 87 trans am with a 700hp supercharged engine and if you don't know the bumper has no openings, the only source of air is under the bumper and an air dam to force air through at highway speeds and I can't explain how cruicial they are to the cooling in those cars. Cowl hoods work on the same principle.

If you want to give it a test, unplug your secondary fan and go driving with and without the air dam and see how it affects engine temps. U might find that over 35-45mph that your engine temps aren't as low without the air dam.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of it's use of effect is to make the air less turbulent as it passes under the truck, the taller the truck the less effective it becomes since the axle crossmembers become exposed... If you are stock height and tire size leave it, if you are leveled or lifted modify away to your desire on looks. if you are lifted and still want to retain some form or wind control, put on a front skid plate from bumper to lower A-arm crossmember.... this would prob be a custom piece as I know no one who makes a off the shelf unit

CaseyJones88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Approx 1000KM later 60 hwy / 40 city there is zero noticeable difference in mileage without the air dam. Too Craigslist it goes!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I don’t understand how people can even attempt to say TWO MPG LOSS. that makes no sense. If under car aero was that efficient everyone would have air dams all over the place.