Front Camera, is there one aftermarket or OE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So here is what I did. Granted I don't have the factory 8.4 but an aftermarket pioneer unit, I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Video-Switcher-Output-Camera/dp/B00B155G5M and whatever cameras you want for front and rear. Luckily for me, the pioneer senses it's in reverse via a 12v signal, so I wired up a push button switch that when pressed, tricks the HU unto thinking it's in reverse and sends power to the front camera input on the switcher as well. This puts up the front image as long as I hold down the button and when released, goes back to normal. There is a backup sensing wire in the stock harness so I would assume sending an outside 12v to this would trigger the stock unit as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The lock pick seems really reasonably priced for what you get. I'd like to get one with a front camera and the ability to mirror my phone in the near future for sure. Anyone have feedback on what setting one of these up is like?
The hardest part is getting the camera wires routed to the LockPick. The LockPick itself is very easy to install but there are A LOT of wires if you use every input and accessory.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys this is a year old, with new technology and alfaobd.....whats everyone doing for a front camera/display method/wiring now?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok guys this is a year old, with new technology and alfaobd.....whats everyone doing for a front camera/display method/wiring now?
Lol, I'm still using my old cheap ones! The only thing "wrong" with the front one is it has gone from Black to silver as the paint wore off the metal...

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, I was looking at the customtronix, with that jailbreaker enigma it’s over $400. However I guess you need the jailbreaker no matter what camera right?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lol, I was looking at the customtronix, with that jailbreaker enigma it’s over $400. However I guess you need the jailbreaker no matter what camera right?
Honestly I haven't paid attention to them lately but they are the better choice (IMO) for factory integration.

The lockpick is not as polished or reliable.

If you go the Tesla Style route, all of the camera features are integrated into the unit but those radios have their cons as well (but it is what I'm currently using)...

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm still looking for a front camera option. Or perhaps the front park assist stuff.
How are people adapting these cameras into their 8.4 radios?
How and when do they turn on? Is there a button or something?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm still looking for a front camera option. Or perhaps the front park assist stuff.
How are people adapting these cameras into their 8.4 radios?
How and when do they turn on? Is there a button or something?
Basically once you enable the Cargo cam input on the radio, you get an on screen button to turn it on manually.

See post 10 in this thread (back a few pages) as well as the first 10 posts of @JB1 's thread...
- Post your Front Camera Link

... your other option is a camera add-on interface module from CustomTronix (Enigma or Enzo), PAC, Crux, Nav-tv etc to add extra cameras... Some like the CustomTronix will turn on the front camera automatically below 5 mph.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Basically once you enable the Cargo cam input on the radio, you get an on screen button to turn it on manually.

See post 10 in this thread (back a few pages) as well as the first 10 posts of @JB1 's thread...
- Post your Front Camera Link

... your other option is a camera add-on interface module from CustomTronix (Enigma or Enzo), PAC, Crux, Nav-tv etc to add extra cameras... Some like the CustomTronix will turn on the front camera automatically below 5 mph.
Regardless of what I buy, I need to jailbreak something? is that right?

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I still have questions on adding a front Cam...

1.) Regardless of what I buy, I need to jailbreak something? is that right?
2.) Can I borrow a "jailbreak" thing or is it something that has to be permanently installed in the truck?
3.) Will I be able to "force front camera" at any time?
4.) My truck has a rear camera, and it has a rear Camera option to turn it on at any time but it only remains active for about 30 seconds. Will the front camera have a similar option?
5.) will the camera be on a timer like the rear camera?
6.) Can I make it to where the Rear Camera does not automatically turn off after a period of time?
7.) Is there programming of any caliber that I have to do after I "jailbreak"?
8.) How computer savvy do I need to do any sort of Jailbreaking or programing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew