Front end squeak/chirp in rebuilt front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jstruthers92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster here.
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4

ISSUE
Over the last year or so I have heard a squeak/chirp coming from the front end when going over small bumps in the road around 25mph as well as slow rolling over speed bumps. Every time I think i fixed it, it comes back!

FIXES TRIED
1) I first replaced the Upper Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints and the Inner/Outer Tire Rods. Had it aligned and seemed to go away for a few days but came back.
2) A few months later I replaced the front Shock/Strut assemblies, Sway Bar Links, and all the bushings. Seemed to go away for a couple days but came back.
3) This weekend I replaced the lower control arms thinking the bushings were bad. Went away for a day, got it aligned, and came back.

ADDITIONAL INFO
Oddly enough, each time Ive gotten it aligned, the wheel/steering alignment has been slightly off. This weekend Firestone told me one of the wheels camber adjustments were maxed out but they got it as close as they could. Each alignment, my steering wheel has been a few more degrees to the right as well.
All front end parts were correct OEM parts ordered from A1 Auto and installed/torqued correctly.

SUMMARY
This truck is driving me crazy and slowly draining my bank account and patience. I dont want a truck payment and even more, I dont want to admit defeat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

Jake

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get a can of penetrating oil spray one front end component at a time, test for noise then continue until found. Find a good alignment shop ,if you ask for your wheel to be centered and they can not ,should be an alarm. Find an alignment shop that knows their job , not one who keeps giving you subpar results .

OP
OP
J

Jstruthers92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Daw14 the issue is it’s been with two separate shops for the alignment. Also at this point I’m not sure I’d know what to even spray. Good gouge though and I appreciate the reply.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try to find a shop with old guys running it , straightening the wheel is alignment 101 . the tie rods are what need adjusted.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rubber bushings on struts are notorious for creating squeak noises but you said that the struts were changed.

Try spraying the strut bushings with Silicone spray.

And just because 2 alignment shops can't set your steering wheel straight, that just shows them both as incompetent.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Another thing to look at, is that the UCA's and strut bushing should have been finish tightened and torqued with vehicle on the ground. Torquing in the hanging position could also be a squeak point.

Agree that both alignment shops suck. If the alignment shop didnt straightem the wheel id ask fo my money back and take it elsewhere. Whether the wheels are straight or not, if the steering wheel isn't centered they didn't do the job right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat