front seat headrest DANGER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a difference between comfort and safety in this matter. Some might find the angle uncomfortable but there is a reason behind it. On a lot of Fords it is adjustable, but for the Ram it is fixed except for the height of the headrest. These headrests, as everyone has mentioned, are designed, put on, and intended for safety. The way you have them flipped looks like it would cause more damage. Just my .02

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You really think Ram just threw these in with out going through Testing to make sure they were at the safest angle/placement to avoid kneck injury ?
My seat belt is not comfortable so they must have just slapped them in there as well and said "looks good".

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Not being a ass here, But its funny I dont even notice mine and never even gave them a thought.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not the only one finding this a problem (see links below) but am surprised at the troll tone. Maybe this was the intentional design. Maybe not. Maybe I am completely wrong. But what is with all this attitude? I have been a member of several other forums for YEARS and never ran into this type of BS.

Front Seat Head rest? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Adjustable head rest?

Why some 2016 Ram 1500 owners find the headrests uncomfortable - Torque News

In none of those links are anyone stating they are gonna get killed from them!!! As for trolling, you'll have that when someone's first posts are crazy talk about dying from a headrest. Did you not test drive the truck before you bought it??? Trade it in for a vehicle with a safer design.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You realize those test dummies have sensors all over them and test the force of impact all over the test dummies body, they know how to protect you from the force of a impact from this they are not just blow up dolls settimg in the seat.

and you throwing yourself back in the seat in no way is the same as getting hit from the back..lol

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OP, you might try reclining the seat just a few degrees (not very much more than you have it in your pics). That might help with the comfort aspect. I'd seriously urge you to not reverse the head rests as you will certainly be endangering yourself and wife if you are rear ended. They truly are designed to protect adults with normal human anatomy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
OP, why don't you measure the post spacing and see if (say) 3G truck head rests will fit? They look substantially more in line with the seat back.

Now, look at it like this..suppose you are in a wreck with your head rests reversed. And let's say you get a hellacious case of whiplash. Someone is going to see those headrests and start thinking of how to shift your pain/limited mobility/immobility costs back on you.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Some cars have active headrests that push your head forward even further when rear ended. Thanks Obama.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You just didn't buy the Lonestar edition.

h-water-film-clip-blaze-of-glory-28988_zpsr4p28npa.jpg

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you are suppose to sit firmly back in the seat not leaning forward that is the only way you are going to have an issue with the headrest , I suggest a class on how to proper fit your self to you vehicle study hard and you will learn proper driving position

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Assuming the pictures are in the order in which I uploaded them ...

1. the headrest as factory installed
2. me breaking my neck when the weight of my upper body is thrust backward into the seat (I can't do this without injury)
3. the headrest turned around backwards
4. me not being injured because my full body weight is resting upon supports during my pretend impact

PS: and oh, I didn't know there were so many Trolls on here.

Current thinking is that your body should be in contact with the seat and headrest at all times, and that you should have the seat as far back as you can while still being able to fully depress the brake pedal. Based on your pictures it seems you need to adjust the seat and seat back angle.

You appear to have your head at the center of the headrest. Moving the headrest up or down will allow your head to tilt back more relative to your body which you should find much more comfortable.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Many of us drove without contact with the seat back or headrest for decades, some of us without seat belts. Awareness of whiplash and changes in how vehicles are built lead me to believe it is in our best interest to adapt.

Should you choose to drive without your head in contact with the headrest and/or without your shoulders in contact with the seat you should expect injury in a collision where your vehicle is rear-ended. With your headrest reversed were you not driving with your head pressed back against it as shown in picture 4 your head would be expected to move rapidly back putting you at risk of whiplash and then strike the head rest putting you at risk of concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat