Front Suspension Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hey All! I've recently upgraded from a 2006 SCSB SLT with a V-6 to my dream truck 2022 Laramie 4x4.

My question pertains to the 2006. It's only got 150,000 miles on it and runs great (honestly, I LOVE this truck) and I'm giving it to my son as a H.S. graduation present. It needs a few cosmetic repairs... faded paint, worn seat covers, etc. but otherwise runs and drives great. With one exception... the front suspension squeaks like crazy at the slightest bump. I'm guessing worn bushings and shocks at a minimum. The local dealership took a look and quoted $5k worth of front end work. Upper and lower control arms, etc. It seems a tad excessive as the steering is tight. Tracks in a straight line, no play in the steering, etc. Jack it up and there's no play or wobble when trying to wiggle the tires.
Any thoughts on how/where to proceed with repairs and/or upgrades? I've got a garage full of tools and am mechanically proficient (replaced water pumps, starters, etc. on my 05 1500). Just never done any suspension work before. Not opposed to tackling it myself with the boys help (learning & responsibility experience for him). Just need ideas on how and where to begin.
Any ideas?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my old 2004, I replaced upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links and bushings. Cost me about $400 in parts and about 5 hours to do both sides. One of the easiest front ends I've ever worked on. If you do it, find steel upper control arms. I don't trust aluminum for something that critical.

On a side note, my niece got quoted over $2k to do the lower control arms in her Camry at the Toyota Dealer. Looks even easier than my truck was. Way overpriced

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your saying that everything is tight then I'd try spraying some lube onto the control arm bushing, sway bar link bushings. A lot of people have 'squeaky' suspensions and do this (even the stealerships do.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If your saying that everything is tight then I'd try spraying some lube onto the control arm bushing, sway bar link bushings. A lot of people have 'squeaky' suspensions and do this (even the stealerships do.

Agree. Save the time and money for when something is actually wrong, don't waste it replacing good parts. Go nuts with a couple cans of wd40 or something similar and see what that does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517