Fuel filter replacement and now tons of regens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
I recently did an oil change and fuel filter replacement on my 2019 2500. I completed it Wednesday and have already gone into regen twice. I was towing my camper today went into regen no big deal. About 10 min later I noticed it starting to build up again already.

Any reason it would be building up again so quickly?

Never had this happen before at about 39k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnny NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Yes, sorry should have included that as well

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, sorry should have included that as well
These trucks seem to be very air filter sensitive in regards to excessive regens, the only two filters that are recommended are mopar 53034051AB or Fleetguard AF27684
There is a big thread about this issue at hdrams.com

OP
OP
J

Johnny NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
These trucks seem to be very air filter sensitive in regards to excessive regens, the only two filters that are recommended are mopar 53034051AB or Fleetguard AF27684
There is a big thread about this issue at hdrams.com
Thanks for the reply. I switched to a K and N rechargeable air filter. I’ll get one of the two you mentioned asap.

CJ99X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I recently did an oil change and fuel filter replacement on my 2019 2500. I completed it Wednesday and have already gone into regen twice. I was towing my camper today went into regen no big deal. About 10 min later I noticed it starting to build up again already.

Any reason it would be building up again so quickly?

Never had this happen before at about 39k.
Did you used an approved oil as well? DPF equipped trucks can go into regen a lot if the oil is ashey. Also ashey oils will typically clogged a DPF till a replacement is needed. You gotta be careful with the EPAs little fuel burner or it can be a head ache

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I switched to a K and N rechargeable air filter. I’ll get one of the two you mentioned asap.

^ That is most likely your issue, Go back to a OEM factory filter. There really is no need to go aftermarket anyway, the factory filter and intake filters better and flows more then enough air.

OP
OP
J

Johnny NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Did you used an approved oil as well? DPF equipped trucks can go into regen a lot if the oil is ashey. Also ashey oils will typically clogged a DPF till a replacement is needed. You gotta be careful with the EPAs little fuel burner or it can be a head ache
For the oil I used the same that the dealership uses. So I’m hoping that shouldn’t been an issue. Fuel filters are also OEM. I only went off script with the air filter. Just found a dealer near where we’re staying and picked up an air filter. Fingers crossed that’s it!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Actually those K&N filters are total crap and are a big no no on any engine, especially if you use them in a high dust location. Problem is, you just don't see the negative effects nearly as fast as you do on the Cummins.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Right. You can get away with it in some applications but turbocharged diesels is definitely not one of them.

OP
OP
J

Johnny NJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Thanks everyone. Went and picked up an air filter from the dealer. Fingers crossed that was it!