FYI for those who purchase from Amazon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I just want to share my experience with purchasing a pair of Bilstein 5100 shocks for my 1500 Classic from Amazon marketplace.

I ordered 2 shocks and they were delivered via USPS and I went with a local garage for the install. I opened 1 of the boxes so I had a copy of the install instructions and when I picked up the truck I did ask the tech where he installed the washer as this seems to be an issue that some do not get right. Well he said that one package did NOT have the washer so he omitted the 1 washer that he did have in the other hardware package and installed both with NO washer. WHAT?

After contacting technical support for Bilstein I was told and I quote:

"So per our conversation for your Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4x4 does indeed absolutely REQUIRE that washer we were discussing. There is only one single washer we provide along with a nut for the top of the stem as well as the spring seat adapter. Best course of action would be to purchase the hardware pack because not only will you require the washer in that kit, but you’ll require a new nylon locking nut (they are essentially one time use only, once removed it should be replaced). The hardware pack number which can be purchased on Summit Racing’s website for example is - B4-KT1-Z255A00"

I asked if I could get the hardware from them and the reply was NO... because Amazon is NOT an authorized dealer or seller of their product... and again WHAT?

So I go ahead and place an order from Summit and chose expedited shipping and of course due to this "virus" crap, my item will be delayed shipping.

So no help from Bilstein and getting me the hardware that was shorted in my order, and my truck sits in the garage as I was advised not to drive it.

I just needed to rant as I think Bilstein could have done a better job at customer service. The local garage whom I have done business with has agreed to make this right as soon as I get the parts needed.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you use the Bilstein vendor option? Shipped & sold by Amazon? I just looked up at least one that was that option which would tell me Bilstein indeed was the responsible vendor for the item. If you bought from a 3rd party, buyer beware is all I can say because unless its a known name vendor, who knows what you will get & when. Could be a returned item missing a part.

I agree with you Bilstein could have made it right, in any case & just sent you a kit but...it seems to be getting harder & harder to find companies who will put their rep before a buck. You'd think in these days of easily being able post a bad review tons of pple could read, companies would be trying harder. Some do, many don't.

I reached out to Solo about their Mach 44. Asked if they have anyone in Western Canada who can sell to me. Canadian company after all. Got a pretty quick response, from the President himself. He said no, but we can sell you one directly. He didn't try to make a sale beyond that. (I knew from looking at their website they will free UPS ship to most locations in Canada). Thats a big deal these days! But no mention of that, Mr. Solo.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had similar experience with Bilstien's so called customer service. My truck has the factory "Raised Ride Height" option and I tried to get thier Customer service and Tech departments to tell me which setting on the 4600s to use for factory ride height equivalent. They could/would not tell me. Bilstien makes great products, but their Customer Service sucks big time. As far as Amazon goes, I got mine through them as well but luckily had no issues with missing parts.

-K

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, customer service ==== Computer response module on phone from computer. I can get dat chit from my insurance agent. I get enuf spam calls every day from dat chit, yes, the scammers are back, Virus or not. Just not what it is. All IMHO....

Good Luck on getting yer issue resolved.

CAVEAT: Yer mechanic should not have installed w/o all the correct parts. Just an observation.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon doesn't package the strut parts. if anything they package the Bistein package. That doesn't mean things can't happen or perhaps it was a mechanic mistake?. That's exactly why i hate this you have to put together parts. Bilstein could sell this chit fully built and charge you extra for it and make it plug and play. But instead to lower the cost you must cut, you must transfer parts from your factory strut, and you must assemble everything together including a damn washer that 7 out of 10 times will be installed wrong or not installed at all. Of course an exaggeration on the last but damn it seems to be the most common occurrence for the RAM 5100 application.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon doesn't package the strut parts. if anything they package the Bistein package. That doesn't mean things can't happen or perhaps it was a mechanic mistake?. That's exactly why i hate this you have to put together parts. Bilstein could sell this chit fully built and charge you extra for it and make it plug and play. But instead to lower the cost you must cut, you must transfer parts from your factory strut, and you must assemble everything together including a damn washer that 7 out of 10 times will be installed wrong or not installed at all.

SOunds like U played with dat before. Yeah, seems like ne thing U order U dang near gotta assemble, even, lil stupid parts, guess just cheaper to package and produce and market. all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Did you use the Bilstein vendor option? Shipped & sold by Amazon? I just looked up at least one that was that option which would tell me Bilstein indeed was the responsible vendor for the item. If you bought from a 3rd party, buyer beware is all I can say because unless its a known name vendor, who knows what you will get & when. Could be a returned item missing a part.

I agree with you Bilstein could have made it right, in any case & just sent you a kit but...it seems to be getting harder & harder to find companies who will put their rep before a buck. You'd think in these days of easily being able post a bad review tons of pple could read, companies would be trying harder. Some do, many don't.

I reached out to Solo about their Mach 44. Asked if they have anyone in Western Canada who can sell to me. Canadian company after all. Got a pretty quick response, from the President himself. He said no, but we can sell you one directly. He didn't try to make a sale beyond that. (I knew from looking at their website they will free UPS ship to most locations in Canada). Thats a big deal these days! But no mention of that, Mr. Solo.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it was shipped FROM Amazon because they were here in 3 days. Just can't believe that I could not get the hardware kit from Bilstein.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excuse my ignorance. But if its just a washer and nut, why the hell dont you just go to the hardware store?

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Excuse my ignorance. But if its just a washer and nut, why the hell dont you just go to the hardware store?

I did and couldn't match what I had in my hand. Its thick and not at all like a normal washer. As for the nuts I can't seem to find the right thread so I ordered a third shock off the Amazon site and hope that shock has the complete hardware package. I will then try and find a matching nut at the hardware and turn them over to the shop for the correct install.

HYwHPfO.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6112's are more idiot proof, the shaft is a larger dia than stock so it doesn't require a washer and the billet lower mount and coil spring can only mount one way

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If the previous post is correct, in that it makes up the difference created by use of a smaller piston shaft, it's not a washer at all, it's a bushing.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
If the previous post is correct, in that it makes up the difference created by use of a smaller piston shaft, it's not a washer at all, it's a bushing.

I have to agree. It may look like a washer but realistically its a bushing.