gas gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
gas gauge issue

I've got a 2015 1500 and the gas gauge keeps jumping from full to empty to 3/4 tank to 1/4 tank and its been to the dealer twice and its doing it again (all in one week) and they say its not showing any codes so they don't know what's wrong anybody have anything like this happen and what could be causing this . cluster, bcm or maybe a fuel sending unit ? this dealer has the worst service department around here I've heard from a lot of people.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^ Exactly. Hopefully you have some other dealers in your immediate area.

Adam

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Make sure you document each time you go to the dealer to get this fixed. Lemon laws are different for each state but usually require three documented attempts. Not saying you should try to lemon this but just in case.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do rams have floats in the tanks or a different way of reading the fuel level? I don't see how else it would be done so I'm not sure why they didn't check to see if the float is sticking

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2015 1500 and the gas gauge keeps jumping from full to empty to 3/4 tank to 1/4 tank and its been to the dealer twice and its doing it again (all in one week) and they say its not showing any codes so they don't know what's wrong anybody have anything like this happen and what could be causing this . cluster, bcm or maybe a fuel sending unit ? this dealer has the worst service department around here I've heard from a lot of people.

thats because they are not mechanics anymore that can diagnose an issue they are parts changers that rely on what their computer tells them to change. If they cant change it or their computer doesnt tell them anything they say oh well!

document it and try another dealer. just because you didnt buy from a dealer doesnt mean they dont have to warranty it.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think its the sending unit but it has no codes so they have to call Chrysler. mechanics my ass

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That is pathetic if they could not troubleshoot unless a code was pulled. They are either stupid and/or lazy. If it was non-warranty and customer paying for the labor, I bet they could figure it out.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is pathetic if they could not troubleshoot unless a code was pulled. They are either stupid and/or lazy.

it's both. the guys working service around here are generally all kids with maybe 1 actual mechanic that knows anything. the problem is they mostly rely on codes now and people that can actually fix something without a computer telling them what's wrong are becoming quite rare

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
funny thing is the second time I took it up there I asked the mechanic if it had a fuel sending unit and he said he didn't know and the other one said they might could change the cluster my mom even works there and they told her on the side that they have no idea what it is . maybe Chrysler can tell them what I've already told them about the sending unit that its communicating but its not the correct info cause the computer relies on it for the info and its not showing codes cause its getting the info but its wrong and they looked at me like I was speaking Spanish or something.problem is that its the only one within 50 miles of me

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
funny thing is the second time I took it up there I asked the mechanic if it had a fuel sending unit and he said he didn't know and the other one said they might could change the cluster my mom even works there and they told her on the side that they have no idea what it is . maybe Chrysler can tell them what I've already told them about the sending unit that its communicating but its not the correct info cause the computer relies on it for the info and its not showing codes cause its getting the info but its wrong and they looked at me like I was speaking Spanish or something.problem is that its the only one within 50 miles of me

thats absolutely pathetic

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Sometimes these are the worst problems. Not bad enough to keep the truck from functioning but just annoying enough that you cant live with it. Hard to justify spending hours upon hours trying to fix, yet it should be easy to fix.