Gasoline - Top Tier for 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right - so we use the tank mix stuff to prevent carbon buildup instead of wait until there's a problem and resort to extreme measure to remove extreme buildup, is where I'm going. And hence, PEA in gas.
Exactly...and that's why I change all the fluids in my vehicles regularly, (as opposed to waiting 30k miles, 50k, etc. etc). Sure, more expensive to maintain, but cheaper than replacing parts...(not to mention less pain in the rear if something fails on ya, especially when yer on the road!)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
...and in those days you could pop the hood and actually see the engine!
See the ground through the engine bay and the engine!! Some of those vehicles you could put your leg through the engine bay and touch the ground. Man why did we ever go away from that!

carry on.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
no disagreement here, lol

sea foam are for guys who werent paying attention in ram forum classes here at RFU.

Maybe for GDI engine intake valves? Intake valves still get hit with the carryover oil mist from PCV valves regardless of GDI or PFI fuel injection. Isn't this the main cause of intake valve deposits?

Or has a miracle occurred and all vehicle engine makers installed breather coalescers on their PCV's (condenses oil vapors and drips back to sump)? This would cost more money so probably not unless EPA forced them to? Not sure EPA is cool with burning engine oil vapors - coating catalyst honeycomb with goo.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, well, attempt #1 at getting an answer from Shell failed, as expected.

I got the published marketing blather instead of answering my question. Sometimes they provide a real answer, so I'm giving it one more shot.

I remember when I asked Kwik Trip (regional retailer) about Top Tier, when they said they "couldn't" get enough detergent additive anymore during the pandemic, and how they're never going back, they would still "guarantee the quality" of their gasoline.
wtf is that supposed to mean? Just more marketing gobbledygook. They quit adding double or triple additive then called it quality, is all I can see. Probably new MBA management and owners don't know why their fuel systems clog.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That $hit was so toxic they told you to open up the windows and leave the house. Some kind of caustic lye soda, or some such. Surprising it didn't dissolve the the enamel paint. Maybe it did if you left it too long?
It was a good engine degreaser ,but it would remove or discolor engine paint if you left it on to long,lol. We used it to clean up piston tops and combustion chambers when the heads were off,as it softened up carbon to the point you could wipe it off with a rag.As long as you didn't leave it sit for very long,it didn't hurt anything though,so using it in a cylinder where it only sat for 15/20 minutes wouldn't hurt a piston,but would soften up the carbon,to where it probably blew out the exhaust,not a hell'va lot differant then what seafoam does. It's tough to find the old caustic oven cleaner anymore,lol

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See the ground through the engine bay and the engine!! Some of those vehicles you could put your leg through the engine bay and touch the ground. Man why did we ever go away from that!

carry on.
Had a '69 F150 straight 6 where I could climb into the engine bay and stand on the ground comfortably with both feet, with plenty of elbow room to work...which worked out great, cuz I had to do that quite often, being a Ferd and all! Lol!!

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Guess I'm just lucky. I've been filling up at the same cluster of stations for decades and never had a fuel related issue. The cluster has a Fly'n J, Pilot, Sunoco, BP, and now there's a Super Wawa and Conoco around the corner.. for the most part, they all price match each other, so it comes down to which is the least crowded / convenient.

Mostly use the Fly'n J because they had the RV pump off to the side that no one uses. Works great for the motorcycles since you rarely have to worry about cagers running you over.

So according to the list I should now only use Sunoco, BP, or Conoco?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Guess I'm just lucky. I've been filling up at the same cluster of stations for decades and never had a fuel related issue. The cluster has a Fly'n J, Pilot, Sunoco, BP, and now there's a Super Wawa and Conoco around the corner.. for the most part, they all price match each other, so it comes down to which is the least crowded / convenient.

Mostly use the Fly'n J because they had the RV pump off to the side that no one uses. Works great for the motorcycles since you rarely have to worry about cagers running you over.

If you want Top Tier additive levels, yes. Which you should want, of course.

Wasn't Pilot on the list? i thought they were. Flying J, no.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Chris fix is a good resource, he isnt like motor city mechanic who works on hemi's all day long, but he is a true internet hands on guy. He was the guy who boroscoped a bunch of fuel treatments, in his tests only sea foam through vac lines did much cleaning. I respect the guy more then project farm but he is of similar ilk. Not saying I dont respect project farm, just that much of his stuff is totally irrelevant. His channels is one of my favorite, maybe top 5, but that's where it would be 5. Search chris fixes youtube channel, it is loaded.
Agree.
There is a whole science around how to test products. Project Farm is an average Joe doing testing that might not lead to valid conclutions.

One major thing is testing to failure/breakage. Dumb. You test for practical application. Most products should be pass/fail, not broke at X force.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

No, you can use any gas and add a PEA additive if you want.
I alternate the use of MMO and Lucas.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gang,

Top Tier gasoline certification continues to shrink in my region (upper midwest) - by a lot.

We've lost Top Tier Certified Gasoline stations Mobil (pulled out of state to save distribution costs), SuperAmerica (sold to Marathon, which elected to sell only their cheapo non-Top Tier Speedway gas), Kwik Trip (dropped Top Tier during pandemic and doesn't intend to return), and now Holiday (Erickson family sold to Circle K of Canada, which dropped Top Tier).

Guys, that's the great majority of gas stations we have up here at the end of the pipeline in Minneapolis metro region. We have a few Shell, Arco, Costco (always crowed with lines of vehicles due to their cheapness), Marathon, and that's about all that's left anymore.

Unreal, at the exact time it's needed more than ever for small, high stressed engines for EPA mileage regs. BP claims on their website:
"All grades of bp/Amoco gasoline with Invigorate® exceed TOP TIER™ detergent requirements and provide enhanced benefits to our consumers, such as cleaning your engine,3 that TOP TIER™ fuels do not. "

We have a few BP's left too, but not many. Most stations are Speedway, Kwik Trip, and Holiday here. None are Top Tier.

What's a guy to do? Make special trips to out-of-the-way Top Tier stations? Carry bottles of PEA around with you all the time. This is ridiculous in the year 2024.

Don’t know if this still applies, but I read somewhere about a year ago that the additives are for top tier gas are in short supply due to supply chain issues so I’m not sure if top tier still exists the way it used to. It is possible you haven’t been using top tier for awhile. I just use the redline cleaner through the system right before I change the oil and hope for the best.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don’t know if this still applies, but I read somewhere about a year ago that the additives are for top tier gas are in short supply due to supply chain issues so I’m not sure if top tier still exists the way it used to. It is possible you haven’t been using top tier for awhile. I just use the redline cleaner through the system right before I change the oil and hope for the best.
I know they test gas stations all the time for weights and measures, as I had an uncle and that was his job. It is actually impressive how much the gov't actually tests gas stations on this issue, and they make an extra effort for those who cheat customers. But I have no idea on anyone who tests for additives. One reason to trust the big names a little more, my guess they don't ever want to be caught with low additives, that would be disastrous to profits if the media got that. What is telling was that study posted earlier, shell, bp, and exon led when te-s-ted (cant say tested?) all gas both regular and supreme, and not in the same order, just those three big names made sure they had plenty of detergents across all offerings they sell. Of note of course the glaring weakness was they didnt test chevron, I certainly would make the easy assumption chevron is in the same ilk.

And of note, all the people that race to the bottom also stayed on the bottom not only when testing one gas, but across regular and supreme. I'll post it again for those who didnt catch it, when randomly tested top stations tested high in detergency and bottom feeders raced to the bottom and even justified it with ceo statements such as "we meet epa requirements but we dont put in extra". Someone needs to grab that idiot and tell him to learn a bedside manner. Even if it is a lie tell them "yeah we will do better and it is good to see the competitions numbers and we will even have better gas next year, thanks for bringing this to our attention", lol?? I think is it safe to say those cheapy gas stations are minimum effort establishments and the big names are maximum effort establishments. Those big name stations are simply not going to get caught with their pants down.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

That was during the pandemic when corporations froze up their supply chains. That has supposedly relaxed after years of fixing. Who knows? Kwik Trip never went back to Top Tier after dropping during the pandemic. Maybe they figured the public is too stupid to care and wanted the 2-3 cents per gallon reduction to get more sales.

Yep - I bought some bottles of Red Line Pl-1 PEA and carry with me. The only stations I have any confidence in truthful Top Tier additives are Shell and Arco/Sinclair around here. And they are few and far between.*
As I've stated, I won't go to our local clogged COSTCO jam packed with bugmobiles.

I prefer to treat gas at every fill. I am not a proponent of failing systems and then repairing. I posted earlier about the ratio being app. 1 ounce Pl-1 to every 15 gallons gasoline.

*I have since re-added BP to my approved stations, as they swear on a stack of bibles they are better than top tier but didn't bother buying the Top Tier certification again. Perhaps API raised the fee for certification?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know they test gas stations all the time for weights and measures, as I had an uncle and that was his job. It is actually impressive how much the gov't actually tests gas stations on this issue, and they make an extra effort for those who cheat customers. But I have no idea on anyone who tests for additives. One reason to trust the big names a little more, my guess they don't ever want to be caught with low additives, that would be disastrous to profits if the media got that. What is telling was that study posted earlier, shell, bp, and exon led when te-s-ted (cant say tested?) all gas both regular and supreme, and not in the same order, just those three big names made sure they had plenty of detergents across all offerings they sell. Of note of course the glaring weakness was they didnt test chevron, I certainly would make the easy assumption chevron is in the same ilk.

And of note, all the people that race to the bottom also stayed on the bottom not only when testing one gas, but across regular and supreme. I'll post it again for those who didnt catch it, when randomly tested top stations tested high in detergency and bottom feeders raced to the bottom and even justified it with ceo statements such as "we meet epa requirements but we dont put in extra". Someone needs to grab that idiot and tell him to learn a bedside manner. Even if it is a lie tell them "yeah we will do better and it is good to see the competitions numbers and we will even have better gas next year, thanks for bringing this to our attention", lol?? I think is it safe to say those cheapy gas stations are minimum effort establishments and the big names are maximum effort establishments. Those big name stations are simply not going to get caught with their pants down.

While I agree with you, companies do what they need to to survive. For me it’s not a stretch to believe supply chain issues have affected additives. No idea if this has been resolved. An example is Toyota said they were accepting parts for manufacturing cars they wouldn’t normally accept. Hence the term “COVID” cars.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That was during the pandemic when corporations froze up their supply chains. That has supposedly relaxed after years of fixing. Who knows? Kwik Trip never went back to Top Tier after dropping during the pandemic. Maybe they figured the public is too stupid to care and wanted the 2-3 cents per gallon reduction to get more sales.

Yep - I bought some bottles of Red Line Pl-1 PEA and carry with me. The only stations I have any confidence in truthful Top Tier additives are Shell and Arco/Sinclair around here. And they are few and far between.*
As I've stated, I won't go to our local clogged COSTCO jam packed with bugmobiles.

I prefer to treat gas at every fill. I am not a proponent of failing systems and then repairing. I posted earlier about the ratio being app. 1 ounce Pl-1 to every 15 gallons gasoline.

*I have since re-added BP to my approved stations, as they swear on a stack of bibles they are better than top tier but didn't bother buying the Top Tier certification again. Perhaps API raised the fee for certification?
I think it was U&A in the oil thread that stated he could smell the redline cleaner in the oil when he changed it. Not sur how the chemicals play with the oil chemicals. That’s why I only use cleaners in the tank right before the oil change, but that’s your expertise, not mine. So is that an issue ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
While I agree with you, companies do what they need to to survive. For me it’s not a stretch to believe supply chain issues have affected additives. No idea if this has been resolved. An example is Toyota said they were accepting parts for manufacturing cars they wouldn’t normally accept. Hence the term “COVID” cars.
So there is a triangle where I get my gas, costco where I go, chevron who is always 40-80 cents per gallon more and sometimes even more, and an independent right next store to chevron and is religiously the same price as costco. Furthermore, the dude that owns that independent is a sweetheart, I mean salt of the earth dude. The costco is crowded from the time they open to the time they close, in second place is the chevron who on average is fifty cents a gallon more then either of the stations, and despite having a car wash the independent can buy a customer. The only reason he survives is because he has owned this station for something close to 50 years, and I'm sure he has no mortgage and since he runs it himself he has low overhead as well.

So having a cheap gas is a strategy to survive, but costco and chevron are thriving because they opt to not race to the bottom. In the end, customers pick winners and losers, and if it were up to me I'd pick the independent as the winner, but I aint putting that stuff in my truck even with si-1, and neither is most people. My guess is that car wash is what saves him and it is hard to get your car washed in cali as you cant do it in the driveway, and in that town there are very few car washes. And location, this guy is in a way better location then the costco. So with everything in this guys favor, his business doesnt hold a candle to the top tier stations. Survive versus thrive!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think it was U&A in the oil thread that stated he could smell the redline cleaner in the oil when he changed it. Not sur how the chemicals play with the oil chemicals. That’s why I only use cleaners in the tank right before the oil change, but that’s your expertise, not mine. So is that an issue ?
Could be yes, something about thickening and yes boy you can smell chems when you change the oil. w/o doubt I only use si-1 when oil change is coming soon, but also when the oil is going to be changed soon I go out of my way to use it. Mind you I opt to use the entire bottle when I treat, maybe if you use a maintenance dose instead of a heavy treatment it would be different, and I cant say which would be better, but yes heavy PEA use and oil thickening is at least a theory. Maybe bitog has a thread on it I forget. I have not experienced thickening that I recall, but I smell the chems everytime I change the oil. I use it heavy at least 2-3 tank fulls before an oil chnage, I try and maximise it because I have a long interval on the oil.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi

@Burla, unless I'm reading something wrong, the youtube video referenced above was uploaded 12 years ago. Correct me if I'm reading it wrong.

I'm starting to think I should stop making my longer trips just for Exxon and stick with Sunoco or Rutters, both on the Top Tier website, then add my own PEA with each tankful. At least if it has PEA on the label I think I can trust that there is PEA in that bottle. I can't say the same for gas and oil.

All gas stations within at least 5 miles are the same price to the penny, for all grades, whether listed as Top Tier or not. When I was working, at least 90% of my driving was highway, 55mph to 75mph. I retired 2 years ago. Now I'm just bopping around my neighborhood and maybe doing 6,000 per year, and 40mph at best.

I think my choices for oil, filter, and gas might be even more important now.