Gen 3 to 4 Seat Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I bought a set of black leather Laramie seats out of a wrecked 23 3500 for my 02 1500, from what I have read they are technically still Gen 4 seat and allegedly fit with a little work... My question is can I simply connect the red/black from the original floor harness that currently powers my Gen 3 seats to the red/black of the yellow connector in this pic to safely power my new seats ? Obviously I'm only seeking adjustability I realize I will never have heating, cooling and airbags, airbags have been removed anyway I'm assuming for liability reasons... Thanks !
Laramie seat wiring 1.jpgLaramie seat wiring 2.jpg

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I'm pretty savvy with a Multimeter that's not the issue, under these seats is a bunch of electronics I'm just concerned powering the main powers everything, was posting thinking someone here wired theirs just isolating the adjustment controls...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just providing hot and ground to the hot and ground in the seat connector will enable movement but not anything else. You will also need to swap your seat belt buckles on to the new seats as the newer trucks have a different style; it won't fit. Make sure the buckle harness is connected as well or you're going to have a neverending seatbelt light on the dash. I recommend de-pinning your original 02 seat connectors, de-pinning the newer seat connectors, then once you figure out what wire goes where, pinning your old connectors with the new seat. Only 4 wires you need to worry about (this is my 2003 with 2012 seats). Makes for plug and play plus easy removal if necessary, like so:

IMAG5454(1).jpg

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent info just what I was looking for thank you Lonestar !

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and any idea where I can buy a pair black buckles ? Buckles on the 02 seats are brown 23 seats are black leather…

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Excellent info just what I was looking for thank you Lonestar !
No problem. Fat orange/red st is hot, black/white st is ground. The two greens are for the seat belt. My passenger side is manual and as luck would have it so was the newer one, so just the greens for the seat belt on that one. If your passenger seat is power then you'll need to run wiring if there isn't the harness there.

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope it’s manual and the new is power so that will have to be powered also, so will the jump seat if I want to utilize the USB port….

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope it’s manual and the new is power so that will have to be powered also, so will the jump seat if I want to utilize the USB port…

OP
OP
FXR99

FXR99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar any idea where I could purchase the original connectors you're holding in your hand ? I'd rather not hack up the original seat it's to nice and serve someone well plus I have to build a power harness for the passenger seat....