Get my truck back to stock for emission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpeters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
In Ontario Canada, I now need the yellow sticker when towing over certain limits which I'm

I need to get my truck back to stock for emission. I bought it deleted. I have a 2012 3500 RAM the none dually. This was the last year without the DEF system on the non dually.

I'm finding stuff on the FB marketplace place, some from newer years. Does anyone know DPF will work on mine if it came from a 2015 even if mine did not have the DEF system?

Also for the EGR will it fit from newer models? I will be installing it myself.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Def will do you no good if yours did not come with it it new

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2010-2012 had the DPF. It did not have DEF until 2013. Dually vs non-dually and 2500 vs 3500 doesn't matter unless they replaced the exhaust pipes also.

The EGR valve, cooler, and crossover tube is the same from 2007.5-2018.

The DPF is NOT the same. You have to find one from a 2007.5-2012.

You also need to make sure that the NOX sensor is still there as well or you'll throw a code. If they deleted the throttle valve you'll also need that.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You’ll need the NOX filter too.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no muffler on the 2012 6.7, so that diagram looks off.... the DPF IS the muffler.

There's a Cat, a NOX, and a DPF.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yikes. Prepare thy wallet.

I'd find a same year model wrecked truck at a pull-a-part place, get it back operational, than ditch it for an in tact truck. That thing will never be all the way right again.

Do you have the tuner / chip / original program for the truck?

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Itt try the big filter befor the DPF.

Scotty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Worked at a shop in Colorado that took deleted trucks and made the emission legal , Your best bet is to find one someone took off and saved, you need it all from the turbo back including the tail pipe if you can find it,
Hopefully all the wiring and other sensor are there and intact, Trying to do this with new parts if you can find them is very cost prohibitive, 10/12 K , may not be work doing at all , if any of the finicky sensor give a problem the check engine light will come on, don’t forget you must have the ecm reprogrammed with the factory tune, that’s also big $ if you can find a dealer to help , been there done that many times

OP
OP
G

gpeters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
There is no muffler on the 2012 6.7, so that diagram looks off.... the DPF IS the muffler.

There's a Cat, a NOX, and a DPF.
Every diagram I find shows only the Cat, DPF, and Muffler. Perhaps the DPF is both the NOX and DPF. Newer trucks have the NOX and DPF together from what I can tell when I watched a few videos of someone taking it apart

Here is the diagram from Mopar site which is the same as the link I already provided https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/v...ghorn--6-7l-l6-diesel/exhaust--exhaust-system

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Perhaps the DPF is both the NOX and DPF. Newer trucks have the NOX and DPF together from what I can tell when I watched a few videos of someone taking it apart
This is correct, the NOX filter is part of the DPF assembly.
It's interesting looking at the parts listing that one can buy just the DPF assembly but if the SCR is needed it comes with the DPF assembly also and a much elevated price tag.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Every diagram I find shows only the Cat, DPF, and Muffler. Perhaps the DPF is both the NOX and DPF. Newer trucks have the NOX and DPF together from what I can tell when I watched a few videos of someone taking it apart

Here is the diagram from Mopar site which is the same as the link I already provided https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/v...ghorn--6-7l-l6-diesel/exhaust--exhaust-system
I've deleted both a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 and a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 and neither had a muffler. From the turbo there is a catalytic converter, then a short run of pipe, then the DPF (NOX sensor plugs into the DPF, it is not a separate filter so I should have clarified that) and then a straight pipe to the exhaust tip.

From the diagram #14 says muffler, but if you read the description this is actually the DPF. #15 that looks like a muffler is listed as an Exhaust tailpipe. Not sure why the diagram is drawn that way but I've yet to come across one with a muffler. My 2018 2500 doesn't have a muffler either. Possibly there's an option to add one, but not sure.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In Ontario Canada, I now need the yellow sticker when towing over certain limits which I'm

I need to get my truck back to stock for emission. I bought it deleted. I have a 2012 3500 RAM the none dually. This was the last year without the DEF system on the non dually.

I'm finding stuff on the FB marketplace place, some from newer years. Does anyone know DPF will work on mine if it came from a 2015 even if mine did not have the DEF system?

Also for the EGR will it fit from newer models? I will be installing it myself.
If your truck didn't come with it they can't make you install it. The cost for doing that would be in the thousands of Dollars. Now you said your truck was deleted. What was it deleted from? According to what I just read 2010 was the last year before they went to the DEF system. Unless it was a ghost delete your talking 10,000 or more to replace your Def system. From the EGR all the way back to the mufflers. Then your going to have to get a dealership to program it all into the truck again. Good luck.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've deleted both a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 and a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 and neither had a muffler. From the turbo there is a catalytic converter, then a short run of pipe, then the DPF (NOX sensor plugs into the DPF, it is not a separate filter so I should have clarified that) and then a straight pipe to the exhaust tip.

From the diagram #14 says muffler, but if you read the description this is actually the DPF. #15 that looks like a muffler is listed as an Exhaust tailpipe. Not sure why the diagram is drawn that way but I've yet to come across one with a muffler. My 2018 2500 doesn't have a muffler either. Possibly there's an option to add one, but not sure.
No your DPF unit acts as your muffler after it filters out all the carbon. In front of that is the Cat. I just had to replace both of mine. 6500.00 for the two of them that's just parts.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On a 12’, it’s CAT, NOX, DPF and yes, that little tiny muffler.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat