GM doubles down on V8 power for trucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Not only gas ICE, but Duramax Diesel ICE, too. They bought out Isuzu last year and are expanding the engine plant. Like Gale Banks, they know batteries ain't makin' it for a truck. Meanwhile, Euro-Stellantis is sending Beemer-mobiles. Fail. We may all be going back to GM.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The gas v8's have been confirmed for a few weeks now, but I never new about the diesel's so that's great news.

Even if you're not a GM guy, competition may just force Ram to keep developing v8's in trucks as well. A guy can hope.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The gas v8's have been confirmed for a few weeks now, but I never new about the diesel's so that's great news.

Even if you're not a GM guy, competition may just force Ram to keep developing v8's in trucks as well. A guy can hope.

You haven't worked for Europeans, have ya?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nope, why's that?

I have. They will not be told what to do, nor will they listen to those that do.

Firsthand look when Cummins brought in the French to force a euro-design down our throats with inappropriate and overpriced market features. The result was cutting our sales in half and firing a bunch of us for what they did to us.

Any other questions?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I won't be driving a GM ever. I'll hang on to my V8 Mopars forever. And if GM can still meet CAFE standards and continue V8 engines more power to them.
I don't have devotion to any brand, nor do I drive my vehicles forever. Although that might be a different story if I had a TRX like you do LOL. I used to drive GM trucks because I liked what they had to offer at the time. In 2016 I switched to Ram because I no longer liked what GM was producing. After looking at their latest trucks I'd have no problem switching back if I was buying right now, and if Ram doesn't offer a truck with a v8 when I'm ready to buy I'll switch to GM if they're making them.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have devotion to any brand, nor do I drive my vehicles forever. Although that might be a different story if I had a TRX like you do LOL. I used to drive GM trucks because I liked what they had to offer at the time. In 2016 I switched to Ram because I no longer liked what GM was producing. After looking at their latest trucks I'd have no problem switching back if I was buying right now, and if Ram doesn't offer a truck with a v8 when I'm ready to buy I'll switch to GM if they're making them.
I feel the same way I want to keep my ram for at least 10 years but we will see by then it will have 200k miles with the amount I drive.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have. They will not be told what to do, nor will they listen to those that do.

Firsthand look when Cummins brought in the French to force a euro-design down our throats with inappropriate and overpriced market features. The result was cutting our sales in half and firing a bunch of us for what they did to us.

Any other questions?

I feel like you just shot my dog ... :(

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well if we hadnt bought a 5th wheel camper I would still have my '19 laramie 1500 ccsb 4x4. the best truck I have ever owned but if I live long enough to need another truck I would be open to the gm 2500's with their revised gas motor and their 10 speed tranny. It would have to beat out whatever version of ram truck is available at that time tho.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think I would buy a new GM vehicle for a variety of reasons, but I do think this is good news. If we still want to drive V8 powered ICE vehicles someone has to keep pushing design and development forward. Let's hope Chrysler and Ford will do the same.

As it sits now (new 2500 Ram vs GM) I personally believe the GM to be a far better truck (unfortunately). Heavy duty 10 speed, very strong 6.6, larger cab, better camera system, higher GCWR's available, it's just a more modern truck in every way, independent front suspension (solid axle is only an advantage for offroading, for towing/hauling IFS is better).

The Ram is still a 4th gen (ie: really old) and its obvious now at this point that it needs some serious attention.

If my 1500 ups and leaves me then I wouldn't even think twice about heading down to the GM dealer.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have much less confidence in Fiat & Peugout to get a distinctly American product segment right, much less lead it. If the Daimler-Benz disaster isn't sufficient proof, I don't know what to tell you.

The Germans dictated to Americans what they were going to like. How'd that work out? Bought Chrysler for $35B or some such, sold for $7B to Chrysler team, who couldn't rebuild fast enough to evade bankruptcy during the Great Recession. Enter....Fiat. Geez. It's about as bad as the Cummins - Nissan venture.

I don't know how long I can milk my 2017, sooner or later age starts to enter in, not just miles. i.e. - age hardening elastomers, corrosion, etc.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I have much less confidence in Fiat & Peugout to get a distinctly American product segment right, much less lead it. If the Daimler-Benz disaster isn't sufficient proof, I don't know what to tell you.

The Germans dictated to Americans what they were going to like. How'd that work out? Bought Chrysler for $35B or some such, sold for $7B to Chrysler team, who couldn't rebuild fast enough to evade bankruptcy during the Great Recession. Enter....Fiat. Geez. It's about as bad as the Cummins - Nissan venture.

I don't know how long I can milk my 2017, sooner or later age starts to enter in, not just miles. i.e. - age hardening elastomers, corrosion, etc.
My 2017 is going strong with 73k miles. I don't drive that much anymore, so 10 years won't be a problem. The body, weatherstripping, etc aren't showing any issues.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My 2017 is going strong with 73k miles. I don't drive that much anymore, so 10 years won't be a problem. The body, weatherstripping, etc aren't showing any issues.

Cause you're in Texas! Winter, snow, road salt eat bodies up here.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all are entitled to your opinions and granted I’m not a Ram owner any longer but I wouldn’t give you a plug nickel For any thing that GMs made since they went bankrupt but you know what they say about opinions…….

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Y’all are entitled to your opinions and granted I’m not a Ram owner any longer but I wouldn’t give you a plug nickel For any thing that GMs made since they went bankrupt but you know what they say about opinions…….

Chrysler went bankrupt also.
That's when Fiat came in, Peugeot since. All downhill from then.