GM doubles down on V8 power for trucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Y’all are entitled to your opinions and granted I’m not a Ram owner any longer but I wouldn’t give you a plug nickel For any thing that GMs made since they went bankrupt but you know what they say about opinions…….

For me it's the otherway around. I'd never buy anything GM anymore between 1990 and 2009. They were just churning out junk for the most part (like the big 3 in general were). Post bankruptcy they've been doing much better. Same with FCA. I don't know about Ford as their is absolute nothing in their past or current product line that attracts me other than the new 7.3.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best GM vehicles were the 1999-2007 trucks with the pre AFM LS engines. Easy to work on and virtually no problems. My two NNBS Silverados (2014-2018) were junk. Not because they had more problems but the fact that there was no fix. My 2015 Ram has had more issues than most but at least they were things that could be fixed. I believe that there’s a thread on GMTRUCKS.COM, 856 pages worth on the famous Chevy shake.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My best GM vehicles were the 1999-2007 trucks with the pre AFM LS engines. Easy to work on and virtually no problems. My two NNBS Silverados (2014-2018) were junk. Not because they had more problems but the fact that there was no fix. My 2015 Ram has had more issues than most but at least they were things that could be fixed. I believe that there’s a thread on GMTRUCKS.COM, 856 pages worth on the famous Chevy shake.

Yeah those GM LS engines are excluded, you're right they are definitely not junk. I'm more referring to interior etc, family members have had trucks (2004?) where the thing just disintegrated around them. Pontiac quality was atrocious, plastic skirting on the side and rattling interiors etc.

My current ram has had the least reliability of any vehicle I've owned. I could list the issues but that won't solve anything. Even my 2000's era grand prix was better quality and I bought my truck new.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would absolutely consider a duramax AT4 as my next truck. By the time I am ready, we will all have answers about the future of the v8.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I'm the dog - they shot me, along with many others.
Hate to say it, typical European buyout, nothing new, saw it when I was in Europe, they R just as cutthroat as the Japanese, but efficient till they R not. All IMHO...

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cause you're in Texas! Winter, snow, road salt eat bodies up here.
TY TY for observing that fact, DA BOIRD...

FWIW, I was looking at a 22 1500 Sierra real hard. Had a lot of gizmo;s, and the most Important thing. The AFM/DFM system was deactivated, not installed. I would not touch an ECO Tec 5.3 with that system active. Just my personal opinion. The Chevy dealer was stuck at 63K MSRP and would not budge, why my now 5 yoa RAM still in the driveway.

And dis BOIRD drives less than 200 miles a month, so makes no sense to trade up and have a 30K note on a vehicle that stays parked. Trying to actually utilize a lil common sense.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hate to say it, typical European buyout, nothing new, saw it when I was in Europe, they R just as cutthroat as the Japanese, but efficient till they R not. All IMHO...

I lived it, BOIRD. Cummins let Europeans take over our generator biz, forced Euro-centric designs down our throats despite our protests they wouldn't sell. They added $400 COST to our most profitable mid-size generator in a competitive market with Kohler, they cut our sales in HALF.

For that, 2,000 of us were fired to prop up the Executive bonuses. Bitter? You bet.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lived it, BOIRD. Cummins let Europeans take over our generator biz, forced Euro-centric designs down our throats despite our protests they wouldn't sell. They added $400 COST to our most profitable mid-size generator in a competitive market with Kohler, they cut our sales in HALF.

For that, 2,000 of us were fired to prop up the Executive bonuses. Bitter? You bet.
Do you remember in the 80's, when Military had us taking the Toyota 6 Business model. It was a requirement for all NCO's to complete. OMG, wat a bunch of BS.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Do you remember in the 80's, when Military had us taking the Toyota 6 Business model. It was a requirement for all NCO's to complete. OMG, wat a bunch of BS.

Somewhat - I think it eventually turned into the Six Sigma cottage industry, picked up by Jack Welch of General Electric. Slavish devotion to dogmatic mantra. Ridiculous.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somewhat - I think it eventually turned into the Six Sigma cottage industry, picked up by Jack Welch of General Electric. Slavish devotion to dogmatic mantra. Ridiculous.
YUP, dats it, based on Japanese Management principals. They tried to integrate that BS into Army Managerial stuff, boy did they figure it out would not work and eventually dropped it.