Goodyear Wrangler All Season Tires and Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
This is very strange.

I just turned in my 2015 Big Horn with Goodyear All Season tires, Wrangler BSW (black sidewalls), P275/60R20.

My new truck is a 2018 Big Horn with Goodyear All Season tires, Wrangler OWL (outlined white lettering), P275/60R20.

On both trucks I run the tires with the inflation set to 39 psi, as per the recommendation on the door pillar. I am trusting the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) numbers here.

So why does the 2018 seem to have a harsher ride?

Basically the same tires, right? Or aren't they?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't use you're tpms to set you're tire pressure, they are very inaccurate in that regard. Use a guage to set you're tire pressure, the tpms is just a monitoring system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Don't use you're tpms to set you're tire pressure, they are very inaccurate in that regard. Use a guage to set you're tire pressure, the tpms is just a monitoring system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have an old mechanical tire gauge with the sliding stick that pops out when placed over the tire nozzle. It says the tires are all set at 35 to 36 psi. I don't trust this gauge though.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've wondered this and asked about it before but got no answer. Look at Goodyear's website and Tire Rack etc. They have 3 Wranglers with the same exact specs all with different prices and no explanation as to why. 1 is marked OEM, the rest are not. Add to that... some people say their set of Wranglers lasted 50+ thousand miles and others like me are DOA under 30 thousand miles. Now you post a difference ride experience with trucks riding on the same spec tire? That's odd to me.

I will agree with the TPMS being off and gauges being different. I have 3 gauges but I use just 1 of them that seems to be the most accurate. Oddly, when that gauge says 40psi the truck says 37psi. As the tires heat up on the highway, the TPMS says 40psi and the gauge says 43 which is 1 psi under the tires max pressure. At some point I need to find some sidewalk chalk and see what the chalk says and figure out from there what's best.

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps it's due to the fact you're comparing brand new springs to 3 year old springs. Chances are the 3 year old springs had a little more give to them than brand new springs that haven't settled or broke in yet.

Similar affect when you put new shocks on, you don't realize how bad the old ones were until you put new on and it firms up the ride significantly....

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
On my 1500, I run 36 psi in the front 38 in the back. As stated, your suspension will go thru a break in period. Every 1500 I have had rode well for a truck.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've wondered this and asked about it before but got no answer. Look at Goodyear's website and Tire Rack etc. They have 3 Wranglers with the same exact specs all with different prices and no explanation as to why. 1 is marked OEM, the rest are not. Add to that... some people say their set of Wranglers lasted 50+ thousand miles and others like me are DOA under 30 thousand miles. Now you post a difference ride experience with trucks riding on the same spec tire? That's odd to me.

I will agree with the TPMS being off and gauges being different. I have 3 gauges but I use just 1 of them that seems to be the most accurate. Oddly, when that gauge says 40psi the truck says 37psi. As the tires heat up on the highway, the TPMS says 40psi and the gauge says 43 which is 1 psi under the tires max pressure. At some point I need to find some sidewalk chalk and see what the chalk says and figure out from there what's best.
The price difference may be the treadwear grade. Which also explains why some people get 30k miles and others get 50k.

I bought good wear graded tires on my last truck and got 70k miles out of them.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I may be able to offer a little info regarding the OEM designation. My experience invloved tires for my 2012 Challenger but since it was Goodyear tires on an FCA vehicle it may apply to this situation. I was unable to determine the difference between the two so I called Goodyear in Akron OH. They explained that both tires were identical construction and rubber compound. There was a very slight difference in the width of the tires, I mean on the order of a tenth of an inch or so. So slight that the same green tire could be cured in either mold.

I asked why that slight difference would justify a completely different sales code for essentially the same tire. I was told that if a buyer bought enough tires they could have them built to their exact specifications. There should be no difference in tire life or ride quality.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I figured it was something like that. Maybe that 1/10th of an inch = 1/2 lb lighter per tire and that 2 lbs and thinner width = a gain of 1/4 mpg. I really figured the compound was different as well. Seems like the 1st set of tires on a new car wear out the fastest.