Grinding/Rubbing noise coming from front left wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whatishappening10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2012 Dodge RAM 1500 55k miles.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed a grinding/rubbing sound coming from the front drivers side. I inspected the breaks and they were worn and needed replaced. I had my mechanic replace all pads and rotors as they were needed. When I drove my truck home the sound still persists. There is a low grinding noise when driving straight at about 20mph any faster and you can't hear it. (Not sure if it goes away or if the wind noise becomes too much) After driving for 15 minutes the sound goes away. I believe the sounds is correlated to wheel speed not the engine speed or rpm.
I don't believe it's my wheel bearing because there was no play in the wheel when jacked up. Also I cannot replicate the sound when the truck is on the jack. Also turning the wheel doesn't effect the sound.
I have only driven the truck home and haven't moved it in fear of causing more damage. When I got home (about 30 miles) I could smell slight burning around the front drivers side, could this be from the fresh breaks?
Could it possibly be a u-joint or CV-joint that is going bad? There is no ticking or clunking, just some rubbing/grinding. Also do I need to look at my differential?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did they change the calipers? it might be sticking, causing you to hear a noise. The brake dragging or the new parts could be causing the smell. I have seen stuck calipers cause a truck to pull left or right and or buck front to back. Also, I have had the rubber brake line fail internally not allowing the fluid to flow back through and release the caliper. Now I replace the calipers with the pads and rotors because it's already apart and I've had to go back and do it later too many times.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't always tell a bearing by feel, if the race or any rollers are pitted you will get noise with no play - if it is a bearing it will get worse with time.
Also if unloaded you may not hear it either.

CV joints usually give a noise in a turn and not a grinding sound.

I have seen a rock stuck between the rotor and plate/caliper/etc. cause what you describe also.

Last edited:

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same issue at 42K miles, but it's been apparent for the last 10K roughly. All bearings, brakes, and rotors seem to be fine. Drives me crazy, and it is more prevalent when I'm making left turns. It was happening before my lift, and the lift didn't make it better or worse.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2012 Dodge RAM 1500 55k miles.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed a grinding/rubbing sound coming from the front drivers side. I inspected the breaks and they were worn and needed replaced. I had my mechanic replace all pads and rotors as they were needed. When I drove my truck home the sound still persists. There is a low grinding noise when driving straight at about 20mph any faster and you can't hear it. (Not sure if it goes away or if the wind noise becomes too much) After driving for 15 minutes the sound goes away. I believe the sounds is correlated to wheel speed not the engine speed or rpm.
I don't believe it's my wheel bearing because there was no play in the wheel when jacked up. Also I cannot replicate the sound when the truck is on the jack. Also turning the wheel doesn't effect the sound.
I have only driven the truck home and haven't moved it in fear of causing more damage. When I got home (about 30 miles) I could smell slight burning around the front drivers side, could this be from the fresh breaks?
Could it possibly be a u-joint or CV-joint that is going bad? There is no ticking or clunking, just some rubbing/grinding. Also do I need to look at my differential?

I have the same issue at 42K miles, but it's been apparent for the last 10K roughly. All bearings, brakes, and rotors seem to be fine. Drives me crazy, and it is more prevalent when I'm making left turns. It was happening before my lift, and the lift didn't make it better or worse.
I apologize that you both are experiencing this, @Whatishappening10 & @eljefe. If at any point you decide to address this with your local Ram dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. Our team is always a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
W

Whatishappening10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ended up having a sticking caliper pin causing brake drag. It was just rusted enough to stick for 10-15 minutes and once it got some heat it would release properly. Getting new front calipers just because it's already torn down. Amazing what a little rust and pin can do.

OP
OP
W

Whatishappening10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Have them check your caliper and caliper pins, one pin on the front left was a little rusty and didnt want to release all of the way causing some drag and the noise. Also explains why smelt burning breaks.

Also like stated before, did you pull the wheel bearing out and inspect it and the race? You cant always tell a bad bearing from pushing on the wheel. And when you say it gets worse with turning it makes me think its 2 things, wheel bearing or u-joint.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Those pins should have been cleaned and lubed when they did the pads. I would dispute paying the labor to take it apart again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew