Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Claytoris

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I’m clear but I just want to verify. I’ll be installing the Maxtrac leveling coils and shocks on Monday and having 35x11.5 ridge grapplers installed on original Laramie wheels. I shouldn’t rub much if any right?

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 w/6.4ft bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I’m clear but I just want to verify. I’ll be installing the Maxtrac leveling coils and shocks on Monday and having 35x11.5 ridge grapplers installed on original Laramie wheels. I shouldn’t rub much if any right?

I believe you are safe, especially with the 11.5's. That's what size my next set will be.

00Rocket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You were right. Thank you for help! I’ve got about ½”-¾” of room between the tire and control arm. 086cd884ef084dd405a31b7a01665562.jpg

Nice! I been looking for pics of 35s on these specific stock wheels. Debating level or 4in lift.... Any pics of other angles? Any spacers?

THanks and Nice truck!

KubGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far i've got Bill's 5100 @ 2.8 with TuffTruck TTC-1223 (50%) & Timbren DR1500DQ running OEM 17x7 285/70r17 , Quad 2017 Outdoorsman Slt 5.7.

I at times tow Heavy and drive dirt roads, no mud or offroad play.

looking at wheels options like the

FUEL - Enduro D608 - Matt Black Machine - 18", 5 x 139.7 0 offset

Cooper Tires - Discoverer A/T3 XLT - LT35/12.5R18 E BSW

I've read a very good part of this full tread and love it, very good info and suggestions.

but now debating if I choose to go higher by 2 to 4" to keep the 35's, can i still use mt TTC's with a Lift Kit or be best to bump the body up a few "'s ( I know that the bill's can be lowered and fit )

The money is not the problem, it's getting the wife to gradually learn to jump higher getting in.
and I also use the truck for work.

Tks

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hoping someone can verify this, I just had my Eibach's installed (very similar unit to a Bilstein 5100). I raised the front 1.5" only, added some 1" Daystar spacers at the rear over TufTruck 1211 springs.

Shouldn't be an issue using 285/65r20 Falken's on my stock 20" wheels should it?

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 w/6.4ft bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hoping someone can verify this, I just had my Eibach's installed (very similar unit to a Bilstein 5100). I raised the front 1.5" only, added some 1" Daystar spacers at the rear over TufTruck 1211 springs.

Shouldn't be an issue using 285/65r20 Falken's on my stock 20" wheels should it?

I sure hope so, cuz that is the exact size I intend to put on next (except now I have 18" wheels)
That said, I have my shocks set higher than 1.5, but I am pretty sure the narrow tire (compared to 12.5's and higher) is what makes it possible.

CodyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, I recently bought my 17 about a month ago, it came with 35x12.5s on it, from previous research I was under the impression you couldn’t fit 35s on them with out a level, well I can’t see spacers and it’s still stock front shocks and I’m rubbing plastics on turns.. so my solution after a lot of reading and research is bilstien 5100. Now I measured my truck on “roughly” level ground and I have maybe 3/4 -1” difference between front and rear on both sides. Which brings me to my question.. will the new shocks over level me where it looks like I’m pulling a invisible trailer XD should invest in blocks or new rear shocks as well ? Or will it hardly be noticible. I’m just looking to get rid of the rub. Thanks for your help in advance. Here’s how my truck sits currently

F16564A8-4F55-4C3E-8A28-4017811825DA.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, I recently bought my 17 about a month ago, it came with 35x12.5s on it, from previous research I was under the impression you couldn’t fit 35s on them with out a level, well I can’t see spacers and it’s still stock front shocks and I’m rubbing plastics on turns.. so my solution after a lot of reading and research is bilstien 5100. Now I measured my truck on “roughly” level ground and I have maybe 3/4 -1” difference between front and rear on both sides. Which brings me to my question.. will the new shocks over level me where it looks like I’m pulling a invisible trailer XD should invest in blocks or new rear shocks as well ? Or will it hardly be noticible. I’m just looking to get rid of the rub. Thanks for your help in advance. Here’s how my truck sits currently

View attachment 197083
Post pictures of your front struts. Most trucks are 2-3” different front to rear. Sounds like someone may have installed something in there that you might not be catching right off the bat

CodyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EB2D8955-8ED6-4DF1-9C9A-F9129848A09D.jpeg 28BAA497-F305-4788-AB9A-04C84E3E227B.jpeg
Post pictures of your front struts. Most trucks are 2-3” different front to rear. Sounds like someone may have installed something in there that you might not be catching right off the bat

Very possible im not seeing the spacers, it is tight up there. Here the best one I got when I was using my phone for a flash light.

Brandon Kroeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Introduction

Hi all! This is a thread that I wrote a couple years ago for another form. I see questions popping up more often than anything relate to leveling and wheel and tire sizing. Although there is a TON of information throughout the forum that would fully answer all the questions that come up, none of it is pulled together in one thread that is easily accessible for everyone to find. I decided to put this thread together to help answer the majority of the questions people will have about leveling their trucks or putting larger wheels and tires on them. This thread is by no means something to outline the only way of doing things. Just because I don’t mention it in this first post doesn’t mean it won’t necessarily work. I will try to include as much information as I can that will be applicable to most people but there are always going to be exceptions.​

Leveling

Determining Your Level Height

A lot of guys will start out their post asking whether or not they need a 2” level or a 2.5” level, or in the base of Bilsteins to set them at 2.1” or 2.8”. While we can give you a pretty good idea on what you need to set them at we cannot be 100% exact. Every truck is built slightly different from the factory; what works on one truck might not necessarily work on another. The best way to determine how much of a level you need is to go out and measure your own truck.

Start with putting your truck on a flat surface (having it on a slope will change the weight distribution and give you inaccurate measurements). Then, running the tape measure from the bottom of your tire straight up through the center of the hub, measure each fender height on the 4 corners of your truck. Write them down labelling each one (LF, RF, LR, RR). From there you will be able to determine what your factory rake is (subtract your front height from your rear height). I would expect most people will see anything between 2.25” and 3.25”. Yes they can be that different, it all depends on the truck.

From there you can determine how much front end lift you will need in order to level your truck. Keep in mind you want to retain AT LEAST 0.5” of rake to avoid looking nose high (bulldogging). But you can have more if you like. This can be achieved by either less lift on the front end or by adding rear coil spacers or blocks to the back end which I will go in to later.​
Leveling Options

There are two different ways you can level the front of an 06+ Ram; Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts or spacers.

hqdefault_zps94177377.jpg

Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Front Struts

The Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts allow you to raise the front end of your truck by raising the lower spring seat on the strut assembly. There are 5 different height settings, 0 (stock), 0.7”, 1.4”, 2.1”, and 2.8”. By setting the lower spring seat at any of those heights you will gain that much front end lift on your truck.

24-187367-2_zpsc87dd4e7.jpg

Bilstein 5100 Product Brochure

There are a number of advantages of running Bilsteins over strut spacers:

• You will improve ride quality by installing the Bilstein shocks on your truck. I find they make the front end slightly stiffer but more controlled in doing so. There’s less bouncing which provides a smoother ride.
• The install is “cleaner” and provides fewer areas for things to come loose or break. Because it is still one strut assembly there are only 3 bolts on the top and one on the bottom unlike spacers where you have 6 bolts on top with weak point where the spacer meets the strut.
• The Bilsteins limit the amount of downward suspension travel which will not allow the control arms to overextend which is hard on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.
• The Bilsteins DO NOT limit the amount of upward travel giving you more articulation and flex and less chance of bottoming out.​
BIL-ADJSSS_zps83da2c35.jpg

I would recommend Bilsteins to 95% of people who want to level their trucks. In my opinion (and many others) they are the best way to level 06+ Rams. They will provide you with the leveling you need in order to clear larger tires and improve the look of your ride plus they can be used with a lift down the road if you plan on going that route.

Bilstein Install

The install of Bilsteins is not much more complex than strut spacers. The disassembly of parts on your truck is exactly the same. The difference is what you do with the strut once you have it removed from the truck. The only difference with the Bilsteins is that you need a spring compressor in order to disassemble the stock strut and then assemble the Bilstein. You should be able to rent spring compressors from most local auto part stores.

Spacers

Leveling spacers are installed on top of your factory strut to raise the front end of your truck. Typically there are two heights that guys will use; 2” and 2.5”. The amount of lift you will get from them is fairly straight forward; it’s whatever the spacer size is listed as. Now keep in mind the spacer itself will not actually measure the same as the lift height it provides. Spacers are used in conjunction with rotating the strut 180 degrees and giving it a steeper angle to achieve the front end lift.

420-000-001_img102_zpsae830153.jpg

There is only one advantage to using spacers over Bilsteins in my opinion….. cost. Spacers are obviously cheaper than Bilsteins but you have to remember what you are getting in comparison. Yes you will achieve your front end lift but you are also missing out on things and putting your front end at slightly more risk at the same time.

Here are the cons of using spacers rather than Bilsteins:

• You are not replacing the front shocks (struts). Therefore your ride quality will be the same if not worse than stock. The reason it could be worse is because now the strut is being used at a different angle (therefore a different rate) than what it was tuned for. Are most people going to notice that difference? No, I’m just giving you the heads up that it is a possibility.
• Because the spacer is simply installed on top of the factory strut the entire strut assembly is now too long when fully extended. This will put your control arms and CV shafts at steeper angles which can be harder on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends. Again, not everyone will notice this problem. If you’re only driving your truck on the street and never going somewhere that your suspension will be fully extended you having nothing to worry about.
• Spacers limit the amount of upward suspension travel which can lead to bottoming out​
All that being said, tons of guys will be able to run standard spacers with no issues at all. I ran them on my 1500 for 8 months with no issues whatsoever. However I do regret not buying the Bilsteins from the get-go because I did end up buying them when I lifted it (and was very impressed with them).

As far as I’m concerned, if you’re buying spacers you better be buying them from Hell Bent Steel. They have the best price on them. If you’re looking at getting them from someone else (where you’ll be spending more money) you might as well pony up the little bit of extra cash, do yourself a favor and buy the Bilsteins.

Spacer Install

The install of strut spacers is fairly straight forward. The strut just needs to be removed, the spacer installed on top of it, and then put back in place.​
Links

To be continued on post #2....
Do you have a link for the billstien struts.. i do not know why i cant find them lol

Claytoris

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice! I been looking for pics of 35s on these specific stock wheels. Debating level or 4in lift.... Any pics of other angles? Any spacers?

THanks and Nice truck!

Thanks man! No spacers what so ever.711d2583291ad60a2a137918df60589d.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilsteins set at 2.8, 1/4” rough country spacers. 35x12.50r20. Zero rubbing!

b576a49ee937deb1c22dee4b05016eed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1/4” spacers, are those wheels spacers or rear coil spacers? I am wondering if this size tire fits with stock wheels and no wheel spacer.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This might be a stupid question but if I was going to run 325/50/20 tires with -24 or -44 offset would a 4” lift keep the tires from rubbing on a 2019 classic 1500 and should I go 20x10 or 20x12 wheels.

I want the tires to stick out some maybe 1-2 “ 3” tops but not to look like some trucks where 1/2 the tire sticks out.

Nicoboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all! I have a 2011 1500 4x4 with the stage 2 icon suspension. My truck currently sits at 39.5 in the front and 40 in the rear.

I bought some 17x9 raceline wheels -12mm offset and am having trouble finding tires that will fit this setup. What’s the biggest I can fit without having to do too much trimming? Can I go 305/70/17 or should stick to 295/70/17?
Thanks for any help!