Hard shackles grade 6 vs grade 8 ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Been looking at hard shackles to have if/when needed. Is a grade 6 shackle adequate or is a grade 8 best? Obviously the grade 8 has a higher capacity but would there be any consideration for not wanting a grade 8? Thanks.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
With coils front and back on your classic, curious what the shackles would be for and where you would expect to install them??

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm looking at shackles (clevis/d-ring) for recovery purposes (attaching ropes or straps); not spring shackles.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Ah, thanks for clarification.

For those kind of shackles, I've only ever used hardened (grade 8) and never had a problem. Not sure what if any problems could come from grade 6.

Personally, If using with a winch to crawl up a rock face, I'd want the 8s for peace of mind.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
neither. use soft shackles. They work well, and wont kill you when they fail.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I have some soft shackles but sometimes attachment points can have sharp edges.
I have both in my recovery kit.

I use the soft when dealing with a tug/kinetic rope, and the Ds when dealing with Cable or Chain...

Also, never heard of a good quality D-Ring breaking. Chain, yes. cable, yes. tug rope, certainly. Soft shackle, yes. I'm sure it has probably happened, but would love to hear the story behind it and what led up to it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have both in my recovery kit.

I use the soft when dealing with a tug/kinetic rope, and the Ds when dealing with Cable or Chain...

Also, never heard of a good quality D-Ring breaking. Chain, yes. cable, yes. tug rope, certainly. Soft shackle, yes. I'm sure it has probably happened, but would love to hear the story behind it and what led up to it.
Any bad situation ive seen….it isnt the d-ring breaking…its what its mounted to giving out, sending it catapulting to someones death.