Has anyone performed an engine relocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
2006 3.7 Regular Cab 6' bed, RWD

The RWD is the issue in bad weather since I don't keep anything heavy back there.
BUT
Is it possible (anything's possible but within a reasonable amount of work) to relocate the engine to the back right above the rear wheels, like on a 911?
I know Smyth used to have a relocation kit (albeit for a Jetta)

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lol..

You could buy a 911 for cheaper than the time/effort/custom fab it would take to make your ram a rear engine.

Relocate the engine, tranny, cooling system, fuel tank, totally reconfigure the drive line and wiring, tons of fab work to make all new mounting brackets and cutting a hole in the bed to make room, etc etc etc...

Tldr --> NO

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2006 3.7 Regular Cab 6' bed, RWD

The RWD is the issue in bad weather since I don't keep anything heavy back there.
BUT
Is it possible (anything's possible but within a reasonable amount of work) to relocate the engine to the back right above the rear wheels, like on a 911?
I know Smyth used to have a relocation kit (albeit for a Jetta)
You'll save yourself a ton of money over attempting an engine relocation if you just haul around a dozen 75lb bags of sand for the added weight if you want rear traction. The extra that you'd spend on gas would be a tiny fraction of the cost to move the engine and all associated parts to the bed.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Back in the 70's I had a friend that put a V8 in the bed of a Chev Luv PU so I know it can be done. But why? He had access to his dad's weld shop where they built stock cars and did body work. I would go with the sand idea.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Putting up and removing sand bags everytime the weather gets bad isn't a good option since I have a bulging disc. The rear engine is probably more work than I want to do

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Putting up and removing sand bags everytime the weather gets bad isn't a good option since I have a bulging disc. The rear engine is probably more work than I want to do
Why bother removing the sand bags at all? It's not like you'd be moving the engine from the back to the front when the weather is nice. My sand bag suggestion was just an example. It can be just about anything with some weight to it. Although I used to actually carry sand bags when I drove 2WD trucks back in my younger days. The sand served two purposes...added weight to help with traction, and if I got stuck I had a supply of sand to help with getting un-stuck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Generally vehicles are mid-engine for balance. Rear engine like the Corvair had to balance with air pressure variation from front to back. If you accidentally inflated all 4 tires the same the car was all over the place in turns. We had one. Won't ever have another rear engine vehicle. It my Porsche was a blast, like it was in rails.

Engine in the back, sounds like a Hot Wheels adventure!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got about 150lbs of sand in buckets right against my tailgate, and it makes a huge difference. Most big box stores will help you load, and having them in buckets makes it easy to slide them forward when I need to actually use the bed, and keeps them dry and from freezing if I need traction. But if all you want is something unique, go for it.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Years ago I had this problem with another truck. My solution was very simple,I just bolted two steel bars over the rear axle. They were 1x6 plus it leveved the truck.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I understand that this is a "what if" question... But

Weight over the rear axle works for snow and slush. It sucks for ice, braking, cornering, etc.

Try a set of dedicated winter tires (front and rear) and you'll never look back. More expensive than sand bags, but it will help prevent your South end from passing the North.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just go to a gravel pit and load up .
I use to toss a few bags of sand in the back before 4wd was common.
Why would even think this? Go 440 big block, you would get more traction then a baby motor.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything is possible, but it’s definitely not practical. One could get a Casale v-drive and install it after the trans.