Hazard/signal lights stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spacedace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s an interesting one. Before we get too deep yes I installed two new flashing units.

The hazards operate correctly when the column button is depressed.

The turn signals work fine as well.

However, when I pull the lights switch to half and full position, both green arrows illuminate on the dash. If I put a blinker on it still works.

I don’t drive this truck much as I have been repairing it little by little. It was given to me and needed tlc.

I’ve also notice that the high beam light comes on when I pull the lights switch to halfway. When full I am able to toggle the high beams as normal.

What they heck is goin on here?

OP
OP
S

spacedace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just added info...as far as the exterior of the truck, everything works. pull the switch halfway, running lights come on, however on the dash the green arrows are on, pull the switch to full and the headlights come on, but the dash denotes high beams....pull the column lever to switch to high beams, and the high beams come on but the dash shows the high beam icon off

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It sounds like a ground connection is not strong and it is causing it to back feed . It is searching to make that ground and taking the first path it finds . Clean and reattach any grounds ,and recheck your Manuel for any that might be missing.

OP
OP
S

spacedace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks...I am trying to find which is the ground for it. I checked the switch and the dimmer portion is sending voltage to the fuse, then from the fuse from an orange wire to the back of the dash. Probing it, and adjusting the dimmer, you get the voltage fluctuation depending on where the dial is at....however, this is only after I ground the voltmeter to metal. Also noticed that the radio does not dim as well. I believe that's another orange wire that is off the same fuse.
On the switch itself there is the two pin connector. yellow for courtesy lamp switch output, and black/orange is ground. Would this be where the issue is? I did order another switch, but may not be the issue. Trying to find where this two pin connectors wiring goes. Everything else works on the truck, so maybe it has it's own ground or somehow broke loose from a joint ground connector.

Also having trouble just locating the full wiring diagram. No clue where this ground ends up

I also just probed terminal I and the black/orange ground wire with switch fully connected. Voltage is good and varies with knob position...so that ground must be fine. Then kept probe in ground terminal and probed harness orange wire on back of cluster and radio. Voltage adjusted based on position but no dimming effect...Dash lights are out, radio lights at full...very interesting. It's like all the voltage diverts to the green signal arrows and the high beam indicator..which reacts with a dimming effect with the knob. Ya got me. Looking for the circuitry from the switch to the indicators...crossed somewhere. bad switch?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spacedace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks...I am trying to find which is the ground for it. I checked the switch and the dimmer portion is sending voltage to the fuse, then from the fuse from an orange wire to the back of the dash. Probing it, and adjusting the dimmer, you get the voltage fluctuation depending on where the dial is at....however, this is only after I ground the voltmeter to metal. Also noticed that the radio does not dim as well. I believe that's another orange wire that is off the same fuse.
On the switch itself there is the two pin connector. yellow for courtesy lamp switch output, and black/orange is ground. Would this be where the issue is? I did order another switch, but may not be the issue. Trying to find where this two pin connectors wiring goes. Everything else works on the truck, so maybe it has it's own ground or somehow broke loose from a joint ground connector.

Also having trouble just locating the full wiring diagram. No clue where this ground ends up

I also just probed terminal I and the black/orange ground wire with switch fully connected. Voltage is good and varies with knob position...so that ground must be fine. Then kept probe in ground terminal and probed harness orange wire on back of cluster and radio. Voltage adjusted based on position but no dimming effect...Dash lights are out, radio lights at full...very interesting. It's like all the voltage diverts to the green signal arrows and the high beam indicator..which reacts with a dimming effect with the knob. Ya got me. Looking for the circuitry from the switch to the indicators...crossed somewhere. bad switch?
SOLVED!!!!
So I took the cluster out and did a continuity test on each bulb and the power/ground on the film. All was good. Then I bench test off a battery 12v in the illumination wire and grounded. All lights worked. Same for turn signal and high beam. Tested the pin connectors on truck and all was correct, no loose grounds or shorts...so took a step back as I was baffled. I knew it had to be a ground issue and power was feeding all the lights, however since there was a fault somewhere, it ground to the path of the 3 different signal lights.
Closer inspection at the right side pin connector and I saw the ground prong was flattened a bit too much and probably wasn't making a connection to the film. Pryed up, installed....voila...Just goes to show..even though you have a complete circuit with a probe, maybe a small pin isn't making full contact when plugged in