HD coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pepper1208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am new to this forum and had a question that I hope can be answered here. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Bighorn that I recently installed a RC 3 inch lift on and also put 35 inch tires on. As everyone knows that rear coil springs on the Ram are pretty much garbage. I have been looking to upgrade to the HD coil springs and was looking at the Tuftruck 1211's. For whatever reason, and it may just be me, I feel that the rear is a tad lower than the front. My question is will the 1211's raise the rear of my truck slightly or will it remian the same once they are installed. Like I said before I am new to this forum so please be nice.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
sorry you think the coils are garbage. I loved my 2015 1500. Carried loads no issue, even a 6k TT. I did put air bags to level it out. W/O a trailer, that thing drove like a cushy car. We drove it everwhere... Ive got nothing for your request.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I am new to this forum and had a question that I hope can be answered here. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Bighorn that I recently installed a RC 3 inch lift on and also put 35 inch tires on. As everyone knows that rear coil springs on the Ram are pretty much garbage. I have been looking to upgrade to the HD coil springs and was looking at the Tuftruck 1211's. For whatever reason, and it may just be me, I feel that the rear is a tad lower than the front. My question is will the 1211's raise the rear of my truck slightly or will it remian the same once they are installed. Like I said before I am new to this forum so please be nice.
Why are coils bad? My 2500 Cummins has coils and it tows our 14k lb 5th wheel just fine. Load capacity is load capacity whether it's from leaf springs or coils.
I had an F-250 with leaf springs and there is no difference in the towing mannerisms.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why are coils bad? My 2500 Cummins has coils and it tows our 14k lb 5th wheel just fine. Load capacity is load capacity whether it's from leaf springs or coils.
Having pulled with both coils and leafs, with and without rear sway bars, I'll say that it's the sway bar that adds to the stability, not the type of springs. With the design of the rear suspension on a 2500, it's about as solid as leafs are, and a good sway bar will take care of the rest, really.

If you really want stability for towing, buy a dually.

All that said, you have to remember that the springs on Rams, at least the 1500s, are progressive rate. That means they'll squat a bunch at first (that's how they get the comfortable ride), but as they compress they get significantly stiffer. You can go to higher rate springs that won't sag as much off the bat, but you're going to sacrifice ride comfort. For some people that doesn't matter, for others it's everything.

For comparison, I've pulled our 25' tritoon Manitou with the wife's eTorque 1500 (yes, the V6) and had no issues with it. It squatted a bit at first, but not enough that I was worried about anything.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His 2017 doesn't have progressive rear springs.

The 1211's usually will not give much of an increase in height when unloaded, might even be a slight decrease unloaded - depending on cab (RC, QC, CC). So close to what you have now but with increased load capacity.

The 1223VT will give you a progressive rate spring AND about a 1.5" lift unloaded.

The differences between them are when loaded and empty. 1211 will sag less than the 1223VT when loaded BUT the 1223VT will ride smoother when empty (and lift a bit).

So it depends on your truck cab style and what you want - pick your poison. Is the bed empty normally?

You could also go 1223V for a nice ride and add an isolator for any additional height (same with the 1211 except for the ride).

1211 ride isn't harsh but is more of a truck ride vs. car ride when empty.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The question I would ask is what do you mean by the "coils being garbage"? Are they broke, sagging, or not performing under the conditions you use the truck for (hauling, towing..)? If you are referring to the rear of the truck now sitting lower and wanting some more rear lift that has nothing to do with the coils being garbage. It's the simple fact the front is listed around 3" but the rear only has like a 1" rear spacer. If you just want a little more rear lift you could installer a larger/thicker rear spacer. If you want a stiffer rear spring than you could replace the springs.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The reason the coils are not as good as leafs, is due to where they're mounted. The coils sit more inboard, closer to the center line of the truck, the leafs sit closer to the outside/wheels. This means that when carrying a load, it leans in easier even though it's not necessarily sagging anymore vertically, it's just more "tippy".

Price we pay for a cushy ride. As mentioned we can improve this if needed by using heavier sway bars and also better shocks.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went from a leaf sprung Chevy to a Coil spring 2009 Ram. Same trailer on each with 485 pounds tongue weight on a cat scale.

Chevy settled to level from a little rake, Ram dropped to dang near the bump stops. Nose up attitude affected handling and it bottomed out on bumps. No problems like that on the Chevy. Had to install airbags to fix the issue.

The factory springs (at least in the early 4th gen) are crap for towing.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went from a leaf sprung Chevy to a Coil spring 2009 Ram. Same trailer on each with 485 pounds tongue weight on a cat scale.

Chevy settled to level from a little rake, Ram dropped to dang near the bump stops. Nose up attitude affected handling and it bottomed out on bumps. No problems like that on the Chevy. Had to install airbags to fix the issue.

If that is what happens at under 500 lb. tongue weight they definitely aren't very good for towing or hauling any type of load! That's not much tongue load at all.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If that is what happens at under 500 lb. tongue weight they definitely aren't very good for towing or hauling any type of load! That's not much tongue load at all.
It's not what happens to a well-maintained truck. Sounds like his truck has issues.

My wife's eTorque pulls our 25 ft tritoon with no problem, sure it squats more than my 2500 does but nowhere near the bump stops. I'm not sure exactly what the tongue weight is on this thing but it's close to 500 lbs.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the rear coils on my 2500. One of several reasons I choose Ram. I do use Timbren bump stops as I tow a gooseneck living quarters horse trailer that maxes the truck out on payload (with trailer, gear, and passengers). But it rides so much better when unloaded its night and day.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I joined this board in 2014 the posts of guys with 1500s complaining of excess squat when towing were literally daily. 1500 Rams had by far the lowest payload numbers of the big 3. There's always going to be somewhat of a balance between comfort and ability but Ram really leaned comfort for a few years.

Dewbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CargoMaxx Springs in the rear.....added about 1.5” to the lift...before and after pic.

Attachments

• 18F5CE7A-799B-4CD9-8592-D22274060C6C.jpeg
    18F5CE7A-799B-4CD9-8592-D22274060C6C.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 14

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another one and done poster. Maybe it would help to not come in and say "everyone knows..." and then trash something.

Also, no information about why they think the coils are bad such as how they use the truck; a valid guess is that the truck is being used beyond it's capacity and then the geometry is now further exacerbating the problem.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another one and done poster. Maybe it would help to not come in and say "everyone knows..." and then trash something.

Also, no information about why they think the coils are bad such as how they use the truck; a valid guess is that the truck is being used beyond it's capacity and then the geometry is now further exacerbating the problem.

Starting to get a lot of those lately. Personally I feel its better to at least come back and say 'well that isn't the answer I was hoping for' than to just be silent.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not what happens to a well-maintained truck. Sounds like his truck has issues.

My wife's eTorque pulls our 25 ft tritoon with no problem, sure it squats more than my 2500 does but nowhere near the bump stops. I'm not sure exactly what the tongue weight is on this thing but it's close to 500 lbs.
Saying the problem was with my truck would be valid, except for the fact that everyone had the same problem with the early 4th gen trucks.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl

that's a pretty old 1500 so maybe springs shot. my '19 1500 laramie only saged about an inch and a half towing our 6000# 28' travel trailer with 600# tongue wt.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that's a pretty old 1500 so maybe springs shot. my '19 1500 laramie only saged about an inch and a half towing our 6000# 28' travel trailer with 600# tongue wt.
If your 19 wasn’t a classic then is a 5th gen with progressive coils. The 4th gen didn’t have progressive coils. Dodge used a very soft spring in the 09 - 12 trucks, and then replaced it starting in 2013 with one that was marginally better.

the fact that people had the same problem with the early 4th gen right off the lot says that there is nothing broken with mine, dodge just built the 4th gen 1500 for ride comfort and not towing. Airlift made it much better.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
yas my '19 was a 4x4 ccsb laramie with the orp so it had the bilstiens and a slight lift. it came with factory trailer brake controller and anti-sway so maybe had a few things to make it a little stiffer