Header test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you drive to their weakness's the RFE's will live. That's no rolling wide open throttle downshifts,get in the habit of manually down shifting it,before you go to wide open throttle,that means manually downshift it first before you go to pass another vehicle on the highway,and no wide open runs in high gear,if you drive to those conditions,the RFE's will handle a fair bit of abuse.
Thanks for the tips my friend. The good thing is my tranny had a transferable reman in it with just 30k miles on it. Going to call the shop that installed it to find out the specific tranny installed. Just curious now. I do have the paperwork but just says that specific number.

And sorry not trying to hijack this thread. My point is if I feel more comfortable with the 6 speed tranny I may be looking at some LT’s and a tune lol.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be fair my 6 speed has been tuned since day 1 pretty much. and last year I gave it a TQ...lol

But it had Redline Trans fluid since day 1 and when I installed the TQ I put in Amsoil Trans fluid.

The only thing I dont do is WOT downshifts. I do however floor that ***** at every light from a dead stop... lol...

Im currently building a 6.4 BGE and will also do the 8 speed swap as I know that POS wont handle that... lol...

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
To be fair my 6 speed has been tuned since day 1 pretty much. and last year I gave it a TQ...lol

But it had Redline Trans fluid since day 1 and when I installed the TQ I put in Amsoil Trans fluid.

The only thing I dont do is WOT downshifts. I do however floor that ***** at every light from a dead stop... lol...

Im currently building a 6.4 BGE and will also do the 8 speed swap as I know that POS wont handle that... lol...
It would probably handle a normal persons driving,but we all know you're a wee to the left of normal Ian :Big Laugh: Hey it's a hot Sunday evening,just gotta razz ya a bit,:Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
make sure to keep us updated on that. I’ve been digging into more research on the truck 6.4 bge engine and how I want to build one for my truck. It’s nice the bge comes with a forged crank already so a set of drop in pistons with valve reliefs and deck the block to bring up compression some and a nice cam would be great but I may need a build on my 8hp70 to handle the monster torque from that. My original idea was a low compression stroker bge but now I’m not sure. I have lots more research before I decide. It will be a play truck but I still need reliability for towing

Jimmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Kooks shortie headers and had them jet hot coated. The throttle body is ported and polished and a AFE cold air intake. Huge difference. Engine breaths so much better. I did not have to get a tune and never popped a code. This was done on a 2019 ram classic Tradesman model. Now I am thinking about some Edelbrock heads. I installed one thing at a time so I can feel the difference.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
crazykid did you have to tune the truck for the 6.4 intake or would adaptives cover if still using the stock injectors?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I went with Kooks shortie headers and had them jet hot coated. The throttle body is ported and polished and a AFE cold air intake. Huge difference. Engine breaths so much better. I did not have to get a tune and never popped a code. This was done on a 2019 ram classic Tradesman model. Now I am thinking about some Edelbrock heads. I installed one thing at a time so I can feel the difference.
Check out MMX's new heads,there's also Thiteks heads,which are a proven good head. I know in the hi-po world,the Edelbrocks don't have a super great rep,but on a mild build,they're probably adequate.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
crazykid did you have to tune the truck for the 6.4 intake or would adaptives cover if still using the stock injectors?
On a stock engine I was fine. Didn’t run lean so the adaptive seem to cover enough. Without changing the exhaust manifolds and y pipe it really doesn’t open up in the upper rpm range a lot because of how restrictive the stock exhaust is.. I wouldn’t try it with short headers though without tuning just because that may push it a bit. I definitely noticed a gain in low end before tuning on my truck. After tuning was even better low end. Also after tuning the top end pulled a lot better but that was probably more the tune than the 6.4 manifold since the stock tuning chokes the top end in our trucks. I added my long tubes after original tuning which was definitely a noticeable gain as well across the whole power band

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out MMX's new heads,there's also Thiteks heads,which are a proven good head. I know in the hi-po world,the Edelbrocks don't have a super great rep,but on a mild build,they're probably adequate.
What do you think about a bge 6.4 with drop in high compression domed pistons with valve reliefs and rods with a port and polished cylinder head to open up the combustion chamber a bit and thicker cometic head gaskets. Should put compression around 11:1 or 11.5:1. Running 93 gas. And a big torque cam. No boost. Just straight engine.

Attachments

• 221F5D3C-BB45-4942-9C18-F2B187663C66.png
    221F5D3C-BB45-4942-9C18-F2B187663C66.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 013D25F1-85B1-4673-AE6C-3ABF77E807AF.png
    013D25F1-85B1-4673-AE6C-3ABF77E807AF.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 946D2BBF-CCBB-4E25-BB90-0384CD7F9450.png
    946D2BBF-CCBB-4E25-BB90-0384CD7F9450.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What do you think about a bge 6.4 with drop in high compression domed pistons with valve reliefs and rods with a port and polished cylinder head to open up the combustion chamber a bit and thicker cometic head gaskets. Should put compression around 11:1 or 11.5:1. Running 93 gas. And a big torque cam. No boost. Just straight engine.
You probably don't want to run a torque cam with high compression Khris. You'll build to much cylinder pressure and you might run into a detonation issue if you're slogging it up a hill on a hot day. I'd keep the compression down around 10.5 at the very most with a torque cam. The truck 6.4's are 9.5:1 and the cars are 10.9:1,i'd shoot for roughly the middle area for a truck that'll get used for everything from a daily driver to a rock crawler/swamp buggy. If you want to run over 11:1 you'll want a cam that bleeds off cylinder pressure at low rpm to keep it from detonating and pulling timing on you. If you're going to do drop-ins and rods,and keeping it naturally aspirated,i'd seriously consider taking it out to a 422 or 426 cube combo,and run a compression ratio just over 10:1 with a torque cam,it'll give you gobs of bottem end torque and still pull hard to 6,000 rpm,especially with a mild port and clean-up on the heads

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You probably don't want to run a torque cam with high compression Khris. You'll build to much cylinder pressure and you might run into a detonation issue if you're slogging it up a hill on a hot day. I'd keep the compression down around 10.5 at the very most with a torque cam. The truck 6.4's are 9.5:1 and the cars are 10.9:1,i'd shoot for roughly the middle area for a truck that'll get used for everything from a daily driver to a rock crawler/swamp buggy. If you want to run over 11:1 you'll want a cam that bleeds off cylinder pressure at low rpm to keep it from detonating and pulling timing on you. If you're going to do drop-ins and rods,and keeping it naturally aspirated,i'd seriously consider taking it out a 422 or 426 cube combo,and run a compression ratio just over 10:1 with a torque cam,it'll give you gobs of bottem end torque and still pull hard to 6,000 rpm,especially with a mild port and clean-up on the heads

Maybe @crazykid1994 has access to avgas @ 100 octane?

Nitromethanol?

etg.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe @crazykid1994 has access to avgas @ 100 octane?

Nitromethanol?

etg.
That brings back memories of going to my local small town airport on Friday nights with my old 68 and 4 Jerry cans in the trunk,then going back on Sunday afternoon and restocking,lol. That was back in the late 70's/early 80's when restrictions weren't like they are today,and you could actually fill a car up from the small town airport pumps. Sure miss those more relaxed days, ;) :Big Laugh:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You probably don't want to run a torque cam with high compression Khris. You'll build to much cylinder pressure and you might run into a detonation issue if you're slogging it up a hill on a hot day. I'd keep the compression down around 10.5 at the very most with a torque cam. The truck 6.4's are 9.5:1 and the cars are 10.9:1,i'd shoot for roughly the middle area for a truck that'll get used for everything from a daily driver to a rock crawler/swamp buggy. If you want to run over 11:1 you'll want a cam that bleeds off cylinder pressure at low rpm to keep it from detonating and pulling timing on you. If you're going to do drop-ins and rods,and keeping it naturally aspirated,i'd seriously consider taking it out to a 422 or 426 cube combo,and run a compression ratio just over 10:1 with a torque cam,it'll give you gobs of bottem end torque and still pull hard to 6,000 rpm,especially with a mild port and clean-up on the heads
That’s why I was looking at the scud plus from frp. Has more overlap for bleed off. I could do with stock pistons and rods since I’m not boosting. They’re good to 700hp supposedly. I could just run 5.7 heads on it. That’s 10:1 compression. Would also save me a to. Since I could send my 5.7 heads out and just do a bge short block.

From frp.
219/226 112+4 "Scud Plus VVT" Designed for 5.7/6.4 truck applications, this is for those who need torque above all, but need more overlap to bleed off cylinder pressure. Mild idle, no converter required.

Attachments

• 695D61C8-0D76-47E5-BFBE-55337A4FDEBB.png
    695D61C8-0D76-47E5-BFBE-55337A4FDEBB.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 4