Headers or Gears ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Only have funds for one mod at the moment and want the biggest bang for my buck. Should I go with the JBA shorties or swap my 4wd 3.55s to the 4.10s :confused:

justin443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 RAM 1500 Sport 2wd
Engine
Hemi 5.7
normally would it be more cost efficient to buy the gears off of a site or vendor here, then pay for install, or just have a shop buy them and install it?

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if i remember right, buying some motive gears, master install kit, and auburn lsd would run about $1000, then add in labor..... that would be considerably more than the shorties. i'm planning on doing the gears mod sometime next year 2013

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The problem is that you have a 4wd. You are going to need a factory LSD out back along with factory gears. Then you will need aftermarket gears up front along with both front and rear install kits. This is going to run you about $1200 in parts plus about $600 for labor. Shorties are considerably cheaper, but wont give near the performance gains.

OP
OP
torq

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks guys for the input...

im not real worried bout the labor since my step dad works for Dodge and doesnt charge me for workin on it. i had him put a posi carrier in it about a year ago (wasnt on rf then so didnt have the mod itch) and i just bought the part for $270 and he did it at work since him, the manager and I go snowmobiling together.

my real concern is this beast weighed in just shy of 3 tons at 5850lbs and my 0-30 sucks ass. when i put my 22' enclosed v-nose trailer behind with 3 sleds and gas and gear i have smart cars passing me lol

thats why i was wondering which is more noticable since i can only get one now

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I vote torque converter.....hands down the best mod you can do as far as bolt on's go.

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha just speaking from experience from all the bolt ons that I've done to my Crew Cab.....that one really puts a smile on your face and you don't necessarily have to do a 3000 stall, more like a 2600-2800 if you plan on towing often but the other two choices are pretty solid performance upgrade choices as well.

OP
OP
torq

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
haha just speaking from experience from all the bolt ons that I've done to my Crew Cab.....that one really puts a smile on your face and you don't necessarily have to do a 3000 stall, more like a 2600-2800 if you plan on towing often but the other two choices are pretty solid performance upgrade choices as well.

so you noticed that more than your shorties or hemifever tune?

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah more than the shorties but what the hemifever tune did for my truck was take all my bolt ons and amplify them because the way the stock/diablo tunes were written it's a one size fits all tune and the computer isn't gonna fully adjust the air to fuel ratio's fully (was running low 11s on the stock tune) and other perimeters to net the best performance.....I'm 100% sure without a torque converter I wouldn't be running in the 13's in the quarter either in a Crew Cab.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I vote gears. I went from 3.55s to 4.56s in my '00 Ram, and it made a night and day difference in towing performance. I was able to use the power I had WAY WAY better.

OP
OP
torq

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
you guys are killing me :killer:

I was hopin for a unanomous vote. im gonna have to hit the corner harder and throw everything at it

not that i really care but how bad does the mpg drop with gears?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
not that i really care but how bad does the mpg drop with gears?

My MPGs actually went up. My truck was boggin hard, had to shift all the time. With the gears, it could hold OD and cruise over most anything.

I say they went up, I went from ~12 average to ~14. :emotions33:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I say headers.

First, headers help in the higher RPM range as most have stated,and gears and converter let you GET to those higher RPM's faster. So get the exhaust flowing, then converter, then gears. Ironically its in lowest to most expensive cost as well. :)

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I have had my racing days and done alot of modding to prior vehicles Ive owned. A matching tune to air flow mods- long-tubes with a great finishing exhaust will get you off the line quicker, but even better with the intake allowing more air in with larger or ported TB's, better flowing intake manifolds, and heads. Yourself as most of know all these mods work together in the end for the best performance. I've committed to time consuming port and polish on intakes, heads, throttle-bodies, plenum's etc...it will add a great pep to step and improve mpg's nicely, still coming back to a great tune to match. IMO tune is key ingredient when the air flow is altered. Gears require just knowledge, the parts, and labor unless your interested in changing shift points and shift pressure.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gears then converter then maybe headers.

Shorties are not gonna show that much of a gain.