Headlight Adjustment Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker who finally registered to ask this. I have a question regarding the adjustment screws on the headlight assembly for 4th Gen rams that don't use quad bulbs (as in one bulb per headlight, not 2). I know the little t20 screw on the top of the headlight assembly is to adjust the beam up or down, but what is the little philips screw directly below it on the bottom of the assembly for? I was under the impression my year truck (2010 1500) had no horizontal adjustment, but that philips screw sure looks like an adjustment screw. Can someone tell me what adjusting the philips screw on the bottom rear of the headlight assembly directly below the vertical adjustment screw does? I don't want to spend the time taking my headlight out and messing with the screw until I know what it does. See the attached picture for reference. Thanks!

20201130_222007.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks CAG CheechDogg. It's unfortunate there's no way to adjust the light horizontally. My 3rd Gen 2500 had horizontal adjustment screws in addition to the vertical ones and it made it very easy to get the beam pattern I wanted.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just the stock lights. Well, the left one is stock style but new aftermarket. The reason I'm asking this is because with the new left assembly, the majority of the light is just to the left of my line of vision and it triggers my sense of perfection haha. There's a "hot spot" on the left side that I'd like to move closer to the center of my line of sight
Check out this picture and see what I'm talking about. These same bulbs were perfect in my stock assembly but unfortunately the lower mounting tab for the screw broke off and I had to replace the entire light assembly.

20201130_205950.jpg

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just the stock lights. Well, the left one is stock style but new aftermarket. The reason I'm asking this is because with the new left assembly, the majority of the light is just to the left of my line of vision and it triggers my sense of perfection haha. There's a "hot spot" on the left side that I'd like to move closer to the center of my line of sight
Check out this picture and see what I'm talking about. These same bulbs were perfect in my stock assembly but unfortunately the lower mounting tab for the screw broke off and I had to replace the entire light assembly.

View attachment 229023
That looks like the result of a non-oem housing.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks like the result of a non-oem housing.
You are exactly right, wanted to try a less expensive option to see how it worked but it's pretty terrible. Where's the best place to get a decent price on an OEM headlight assembly?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are exactly right, wanted to try a less expensive option to see how it worked but it's pretty terrible. Where's the best place to get a decent price on an OEM headlight assembly?
What headlights do you have? If you have the quads (non-projector with 2 bulbs per housing) you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap, can probably find a full set in good shape for $100

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the non projector with 1 bulb per headlight (combination high/low beam bulb).

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the non projector with 1 bulb per headlight (combination high/low beam bulb).
Check the classifieds on here, Facebook or even the letgo style apps for your area. Im pretty sure you can swap the dual beam like you have to the quad beam and have it be plug and play if you wanted to.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Are the bulbs clocked correctly ... I had that on my driver side headlight and I made sure the bulb was clocked correctly .... it fixed the problem right away

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure what you mean by clocked. I assume you mean positioned. To be honest I failed to note what position the bulb was in before I removed it. It is entirely possible the bulb is not clocked correctly as you call it. How would one go about determining the proper positioning without a lot of trial and error or pulling the passenger side bulb to compare?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure what you mean by clocked. I assume you mean positioned. To be honest I failed to note what position the bulb was in before I removed it. It is entirely possible the bulb is not clocked correctly as you call it. How would one go about determining the proper positioning without a lot of trial and error or pulling the passenger side bulb to compare?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CAG CheechDogg,

Just looked up clocking and confirmed it is positioning of the bulb. Watched a couple of videos and it turns out that the bulb chips need to be at the 9 and 3 position, mine are currently at 6 and 12. Gonna go head outside real quick and change the bulb position and take it for a test drive. I'll report back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
CAG CheechDogg,

Just looked up clocking and confirmed it is positioning of the bulb. Watched a couple of videos and it turns out that the bulb chips need to be at the 9 and 3 position, mine are currently at 6 and 12. Gonna go head outside real quick and change the bulb position and take it for a test drive. I'll report back.

Good stuff my friend .... hopefully that fixes the issue which I am almost positive it will since you had it at the 6/12 ....

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your help! Lights are pretty much back to normal now. I must have known about clocking when I put these bulbs in a few years ago as the beam pattern was perfect. Had to take the bulb out to wire in a new bulb socket since it was loose and the headlight would intermittently shut off. Anyway, fixed now and on to another project.

20201201_001440.jpg