Headlight condensation after adding halos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 ram 1500 Laramie. I bought a used set of 2015 quad headlights. Opened them up and installed the diode dynamics halos as well as some 3157 switchback bulbs for the corner lights. I also bought led headlight bulbs for my low beams. I sealed the headlights with morimoto butyl after removing the permaseal. Took my time and thought I sealed everything up properly. Well after using them for two days, it was raining a lot, and I started noticing the lights fogging up towards the bottom. I got a sinking feeling in my stomach so I pulled them out, brought them inside and put a hair dryer to them. I then decided to go ahead and seal the lights with silicon around the outside for extra security as well as I had some extra silica gel packs that I added. Put them back in the truck and the last couple days we’ve had nice weather but I’ve noticed that I will run the halos and the bulbs and after I get out and let the vehicle sit, it will fog up again towards the bottom on both headlights. If I let it sit over night though, it will be cleared by the next morning. It’s driving me nuts as I’ve spent a lot of time and money on this project. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m in the process of doing a set of quad headlights, painting them black that perma seal is a *****, they say it can be reused, but I’m not sure. My plan is to reheat the headlights base and try to remove all the factory seal, and reseal with butyl. You have to put the headlights back in the oven at 275 degrees for 7 minuets after sealing it, not sure if you already did that.

OP
OP
B

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not positive but I don’t think the permaseal can be reused as it is like rtv, it doesn’t get sticky again after heating. I did reheat my headlights once the butyl was installed exactly as the directions said.

OP
OP
B

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thinking mine are sealed good, cause I’ve got two layers of sealant between the butyl and silicone. I’m betting mine has to do with venting. Hoping someone may chime in that has gone through this also

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you make sure the breathers on the back of the headlights aren’t plugged up and are still on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I had the same thing happen with my projectors when I installed my HID's. I didn't realize I accidentally pushed in all my vent tabs. I pulled the lights out, dried with a hair drier, opened the vents, and resolved the problem. I'm not familiar with quads but I'm guessing they have vents too. Mine were in the form of three orange tabs. You can pull them all the way off and reattach without closing them off.

OP
OP
B

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah they have two vents. I didn’t check to see if they are pushed in. I’m gonna check those tonight and report back.

OP
OP
B

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I pulled both headlights back out tonight. I decided to try something else while checking the vent caps. I got my wife’s hair dryer and I mixed a bottle of soapy water. I left all the caps on except the side marker. Turned the hairdryer on and sprayed soapy water around the lenses where it joined the housings and also sprayed the dust cap which I cut a hole in to run the wire. On the dust cap, I used some butyl on the outside of the hole I cut out. Come to find out both of the holes I cut out were leaking around the wires and I also found 1 really small spot on each headlight where the housings joined the lenses. Got my silicone back out and put a generous helping along the spots I found. As far as the hole for the wire, I decided to put butyl on the inside and outside of the wire and smushed the butyl in the hole and around the wires. I also added some silicone to the outside of the dust cap as well on top of the butyl. I know it sounds Jerry rigged but no one should ever see it. All 4 vent caps were also pushed all the way in. I adjusted them to where they are barely on. I had contemplated just taking the caps off completely since they had the gortex film over the hole anyway. I am letting my lights cure a little bit tonight before putting them back on early in the morning. I’ve included a few pictures of what my lenses looked like from the condensation. It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to bother my ocd!
IMG_3202.jpgIMG_3203.jpg

OP
OP
B

blabarre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I’m reporting back and after all the resealing. I’m still getting so fogging towards the bottom! It seems to happen after I run the halos. I’m at a loss now!