Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hey all, so I just bought a 2022 RAM 1500 3.0 EcoDiesel last weekend and my first order of business was swapping out halogen lights for some LED's because I'm blind and it helps hugely with driving at night. The issue I'm having is the driver side low beam will randomly flick off and back on, sometimes flicking off and never coming back on. All the other lights have had 0 issues with and stay on with no problems.

Solutions I've tried already was swapping the passenger side low beam with the driver side low beam to see if it was the LED light, if the driver side stayed on and the passenger flicked off and on it'd tell me it was the bulb. However the passenger side always remains on with 0 issue and the driver side alone is turning off and on randomly. I went ahead and ordered another set of LED low beams from lastfit ( the h11 pro series) and they will arrive monday. In the meantime I went to autozone and picked up a pair of regular h11's and will be testing them out tonight if it still flickers off and on. If it does even with regular halogen's, thats indicate something in the driver side headlight assembly is wrong right?
Also wanna add that when the light has turned off I have tried hitting the housing to see if maybe something had been loose but doesn't come back on. I have also completely unhooked the lights and replugged them back in. I left the truck running outside our shop for about 20 minutes and the lights never flicked off and on, seems to only happen when I'm actually driving.

Details on the vehicle are as follows. 2022 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel with the sport appearance package. Only has 6,670 miles on it. Dealership I bought it from told me right before purchase they had replaced the battery in the truck.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you get a headlight out notification on the dash when the bulb goes out?

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you get a headlight out notification on the dash when the bulb goes out?
No error messages at all, even turning the light switch to the off position and back on doesn't turn it back on either.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with your assessment that it appears something is amiss with the wiring. If you aren’t getting a bulb out notification on the dash I doubt it’s the LED bulb. Some LED that are CANBUS ready just don’t provide the correct current draw and will flicker or turn off but it’s accompanied by a bulb out notification. I’ve seen LED work on one side but not the other but again the computer sees a bulb outage and trips the notification. A good test will be when you install the new halogen bulbs. Please post back with the results.

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll post an update once it gets dark and I'm able to see if it goes out with regular stock halogens. I was beginning to thing its something with the wiring in the assembly. If it happens I'll be calling a dealership to get an estimate to have it looked at.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your probably not going have a problem with the halogen bulb in there, it's not a rare occurrence that a truck will sometimes have a problem with LEDs.
Some people have corrected the problem with AlfaOBD where as others have to resort to using resistors.

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your probably not going have a problem with the halogen bulb in there, it's not a rare occurrence that a truck will sometimes have a problem with LEDs.
Some people have corrected the problem with AlfaOBD where as others have to resort to using resistors.
I was reading up on the AlfaOBD, from what I understand I need to buy a license and get a security bypass right? Then when inside I turn on the LED option?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was reading up on the AlfaOBD, from what I understand I need to buy a license and get a security bypass right? Then when inside I turn on the LED option?
That about sums it up, be sure to make a back up before making any changes. How to make a back up is outlined in the AlfaOBD thread

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll also need a Bluetooth OBD dongle and an android device.

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So went for a little drive and didn't have any issues with the halogen's but will do another small drive just to make sure cause there were time the LED's worked fine. If they work fine and don't cut out, I will test the new lasfit LED's when they arrive on monday. Might have just had some compatibility issues with the hikari's that I did have in it. Lasfit customer service was pretty reassuring that their lights wouldn't need any anti-flicker modules, resistors, or any additional work. If they fail the test as well I'll buckle down and spend the money to grab the OBDLink MX+, security bypass harness, and the AlfaOBD software, then give that a whirl.

Thanks for the help gents!

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So went for a little drive and didn't have any issues with the halogen's but will do another small drive just to make sure cause there were time the LED's worked fine. If they work fine and don't cut out, I will test the new lasfit LED's when they arrive on monday. Might have just had some compatibility issues with the hikari's that I did have in it. Lasfit customer service was pretty reassuring that their lights wouldn't need any anti-flicker modules, resistors, or any additional work. If they fail the test as well I'll buckle down and spend the money to grab the OBDLink MX+, security bypass harness, and the AlfaOBD software, then give that a whirl.

Thanks for the help gents!
Sounds like a good plan. I’ve personally never seen a CANBUS ready LED that flickered or shut off not throw a warning on the dash but it wouldn’t surprise me. I have had LED sets where one worked just fine and the other threw a warning. The computers on our trucks are quite sensitive to voltages. I have LED bulbs in all the various exterior and interior lighting cuz like you I can’t see so great at night. Properly clocked and aimed LED bulbs offer imho a huge upgrade in forward illumination. If you plan on using LED in other lighting applications on your truck AlfaOBD is definitely the way to go. I have it, use it and have had zero issues with LED lighting going on four years now. Just a heads up if you do go the AlfaOBD route purchase the security bypass cable with two connectors. You can find the single connector type on Amazon for twenty bucks but they don’t allow access to all the various systems. The two connector types that go for about 50 dollars are the best. Several vendors on this site sell the better ones and I can vouch for the Kaod bypass cable from deerguy on this site. Hope the new bulbs work out.

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like a good plan. I’ve personally never seen a CANBUS ready LED that flickered or shut off not throw a warning on the dash but it wouldn’t surprise me. I have had LED sets where one worked just fine and the other threw a warning. The computers on our trucks are quite sensitive to voltages. I have LED bulbs in all the various exterior and interior lighting cuz like you I can’t see so great at night. Properly clocked and aimed LED bulbs offer imho a huge upgrade in forward illumination. If you plan on using LED in other lighting applications on your truck AlfaOBD is definitely the way to go. I have it, use it and have had zero issues with LED lighting going on four years now. Just a heads up if you do go the AlfaOBD route purchase the security bypass cable with two connectors. You can find the single connector type on Amazon for twenty bucks but they don’t allow access to all the various systems. The two connector types that go for about 50 dollars are the best. Several vendors on this site sell the better ones and I can vouch for the Kaod bypass cable from deerguy on this site. Hope the new bulbs work out.
The kaod bypass cable was the one I was looking at just because it's the recommended one from Alfa. I had LED lights in my Tacoma that I traded off for this truck and I can't go back to regular halogens since I had that truck. Makes the world of difference in what you can see. I just found it so odd that only the driver side low beam was having issues. I upgraded the fog lights and high beams and have had 0 issues with them. Hoping these new lasfit bulbs will do the trick and save me some money after already spending $200 in bulbs over the last week. But if the AlfaOBD fixes it, will be worth the money in the long haul. I appreciate all the help!

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of people on here have the lasfit low beam bulbs and don’t have any problems with them.

OP
OP
Saintxc

Saintxc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just a little update, I got my lasfit h11 low beams in today and got them installed, coming home from work they never once had the flicking on and off issue, so I think it's safe to say the other LED bulbs I had were somehow just not compatible with the computer system. Thanks for all the helps gents! Last thing I'm gonna do is slightly lower the headlight assembly so I'm not absolutely blinding oncoming traffic, they did see kind of high so I'm going to lower them about 3/4" to 1"

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last thing I'm gonna do is slightly lower the headlight assembly so I'm not absolutely blinding oncoming traffic, they did see kind of high so I'm going to lower them about 3/4" to 1"
Happy to hear you solved the bulb issue. Do you have the OEM instructions on adjusting the headlights for proper alignment?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat