Heated steering wheel failure - 38 months 52,000km - no warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northern NB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 2017 Ram Sport sold August 2, 2017 with 52,000 km has the dreaded clock spring failure.

What the hell is a clock spring and why does it fail?

I bought this as a trade in at a dealer in New Minas NS in July 2020 with 45,000 km on it.

I noticed that the heated steering wheel light would shut itself off after a few seconds, never warming up.

I read here that the heated steering wheel doesn't work above 40 degrees F, so I waited for the outside temperature to cool down, still no luck.

Brought it to the dealer today, they diagnosed the clock spring failure ($149.50), quoted me $1,180.00 for the repair. I was shocked and told them not to repair it due to cost. Dealer offered 10% off.

Called the Ram warranty people (Katie), they said pay the bill, submit it to us and they "may" consider a goodwill partial payment with no promises.

Very disappointed in this repair cost as well as the inflexibility all around.

This is my first RAM, being a lifelong GM guy, no chance of me ever buying another RAM or any other Chrysler product, nor will the dealer see me again unless I have a power train failure.

Anyone here no of a more cost effective way to repair this issue?

Villalobos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
That stinks! I don’t know anything about clock springs lol. I have seen how to retrofit a heated steering wheel in the diy section here. If you’re handy, I’m sure it could replace it. $1180 seems outrageous. Just hang on, I’m sure some one with actual knowledge of this will chime in and hook you up with all the info you need. Sucks that you were treated like this!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Below is a picture of insides of a clock spring. It makes all the electrical connections from rotating steering wheel controls, air bags, etc, to the fixed steering column. Just curious how long outside of the warranty period do you think something should be covered under warranty?

74d8d0f62799af63ded7ff658617da4b301be278.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So my 2017 Ram Sport sold August 2, 2017 with 52,000 km has the dreaded clock spring failure.

What the hell is a clock spring and why does it fail?

I bought this as a trade in at a dealer in New Minas NS in July 2020 with 45,000 km on it.

I noticed that the heated steering wheel light would shut itself off after a few seconds, never warming up.

I read here that the heated steering wheel doesn't work above 40 degrees F, so I waited for the outside temperature to cool down, still no luck.

Brought it to the dealer today, they diagnosed the clock spring failure ($149.50), quoted me $1,180.00 for the repair. I was shocked and told them not to repair it due to cost. Dealer offered 10% off.

Called the Ram warranty people (Katie), they said pay the bill, submit it to us and they "may" consider a goodwill partial payment with no promises.

Very disappointed in this repair cost as well as the inflexibility all around.

This is my first RAM, being a lifelong GM guy, no chance of me ever buying another RAM or any other Chrysler product, nor will the dealer see me again unless I have a power train failure.

Anyone here no of a more cost effective way to repair this issue?
You may have luck pulling one from a salvage yard, but I don't know what they charge and you'll need to find one from a truck with the same options you have.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Northern NB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Below is a picture of insides of a clock spring. It makes all the electrical connections from rotating steering wheel controls, air bags, etc, to the fixed steering column. Just curious how long outside of the warranty period do you think something should be covered under warranty?

74d8d0f62799af63ded7ff658617da4b301be278.jpg
It didn't work in July when it was still under warranty.

My belief was that was due to high outside temperature at that time or I would have had it repaired then and it would have been warrantied.

I had no idea what a clock spring was until I researched it here, the dealer made no attempt to explain the failure other than the cost.

Just ****** luck and timing. Thought there should be a concession of some type all things considered.

I'd really like to have this working but the cost attached and a vague statement that there may be may be a concession simply doesn't justify me forking out that kind of money.

My last three vehicles came with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, sucks to be in this position.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yeah it does suck. Kind of weird the wheel only works when the outside temp is below 40. Makes a bit of a surprise when it turns cold and then one discovers it is not working.

Last edited:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a front caliper Seize... a few days after the warranty expired (expired on Friday, seized early Monday morning).

I got no love either. Dealer eventually agreed to “goodwill” the caliper, but not the tow, the trashed rotor nor trashed pads.

Sucks you noticed the problem before the end of the period. Just bad luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Kind of weird the wheel only works when the outside temp is below 40. Makes a bit of a surprise when it turns cold and then one discovers it is not working.
40°F is the temperature where the heated steering wheel and seats will turn on automatically when the vehicle is started(Auto-On Comfort). Both will turn on manually at warmer outside temperatures.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated by crash68 the heated wheel turns on automatically if the outside temp is 40° or less but you can turn it on manually whenever you want and it should still work. It's is normal for them to turn off after a certain amount time after they reach a certain temperature which happens much quicker when it's hotter outside. A new clockspring runs right around $300 dollars and can easily be changed in an hour or so. There are several videos on YouTube that can walk you through the procedure. I don't recommend buying a used one as they are often damaged. There is no special programming required to change the clockspring. Just make sure you keep the locking tab installed until its installed so it doesn't rotate 360° before you make sure the pickup wheels are strait and install the steering wheel using the marks on the spline to align it strait and slide the small plastic nub into the slot in the steering wheel base.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk