Hello... New guy from Indiana, remote start question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrproc1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas hungry
Hey ya'll...
I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2004 1500 with the 5.7 motor and an automatic trans. I'm tossing the idea on putting a remote start on her.
I'd like to do it myself, as you only learn by doing (and to safe money)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a D.I.Y kits.
Thank you in advance, and nice to be here.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:waytogo: :welcome: I am sure someone here will help you with this question.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
:welcome: Not sure about do it yourself kits, there have been a few posts on this matter and most people have had problems with them. Mopar makes a plug and play kit which is guaranteed to work, but the price is fairly steep. Maybe someone with a bit more experience can stick their nose in here and assist you better. Be glad your truck is an 05. It only ahs a few parts of the Can-Bus system and is not so picky about mods.

moops

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't speak to the DIY part of it, but I went to Best Buy to have the Viper system installed. Decided to go with them because:

1. I didn't want to take the time to learn how to do it myself, and possibly screw it up anyway.

2. Their price was about the same as anywhere else I found, for any system (~$500), and all the reviews for Viper I read online were really good.

3. The Viper system comes with a lifetime parts and installation warranty (if installed by a Viper-certified installer, which BB is).

That third one has paid off. In the few weeks that I've had it installed, I've had to bring it back twice, with a third coming today. It kept tripping the remote-start fuse. Talking to the installer, the second time I brought it back, he had to install another relay. Something to do with the four separate wires that Dodges have coming off of the starter. I'm not proficient with electronics, so I can't get technical.

After he installed the relay(s), it worked for several days, but yesterday the A/C stopped coming on when I used the remote start. Radio still works, so I guess there is a different fuse for that one. That must have been what he did last time; splitting the accessores circuit, because before both the radio and A/C stopped working just prior to the remote start going out. I'll bring it back in today, and have him take a look.

Don't know if that's any help, but the first place I went to see about getting one installed said that Dodges are a PITA because of the four wires and the need to install extra relays.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a viper remote start on my 2003 manual. I have to put it in remote start mode where it runs as you get out and arm the alarm to shut it off. Works great. I have manual door locks and windows, so I had door lock actuators installed with the alarm.

Maxjerome28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put a dball xpress kit on my 2008 was less than 100 bucks programmed and shipped with the harness and took me less than 30 minutes. Not sure if they work for the 04s but it'd be worth looking into.
Oh and it uses your factory key fob

OP
OP
M

Mrproc1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas hungry
I just put a dball xpress kit on my 2008 was less than 100 bucks programmed and shipped with the harness and took me less than 30 minutes. Not sure if they work for the 04s but it'd be worth looking into.
Oh and it uses your factory key fob

Do you have website... I can't seem to find any info

moops

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I took it back in to BB, and he couldn't replicate the problem once he put in a new 20A fuse on the A/C wire. It would burn out when the A/C was on high if he put in a 10A fuse. He put in a 25A, which was the highest the Viper system allows apparently, and told me to keep the A/C fan down on 1 or 2. Haven't had any problems with it since then, and it's been a week.