Help: Headliner dropping/sagging around sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
In general, I don't usually look up while in the M. Falcon (2012 Ram). I usually only look at up when I'm driving through the touch-less car wash, when I'm really going to town with my interior detailing or those rare times during the summer when I actually open the sunroof (extremely rare occurrence - never getting another vehicle with a sunroof again).

The other day, I took her through the wash and looked up while the guy was wiping her down and noticed the headliner was sagging a little. When I got home, once unbuckled and not driving, I *really* inspected the headliner as a whole and saw that the entire thing is sagging! Bad!

I have a sunroof, as mentioned. My headliner seems to be a single firm, solid, hard piece of material. As far as I can see, there are multiple small (approximately 1" x 2") rectangles, on the top side of the headliner, on all sides (accept the edge facing the Home Link controls) that appear to have been mounting locations for Velcro or something similar. There are matching rectangles on the underside of the roof that seem to line up with the rectangles on the headliner. If these truly were used as anchor points to keep the headliner up and firmly attached to the roof, they have obviously failed at their job!

Now that I have noted the sag, the fact that I have been feeling a phantom touch on top of my head (I'm only 5'7").. mostly when I'm shifting in the seat makes complete sense. It's the headliner bouncing/moving/shifting while the truck is in motion. Nice to have an answer to that odd sensation.

I am curious how to fix this. Are these rectangles indeed locations for tabs of Velcro? Could this Velcro have worn out and just needs to be replaced? Or do I need to unleash my husband, A.K.A. The Glue God?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Usually, the material is spray glued to a thin sheet of pvc material in newer vehicles. In the past they also used a thin sheet of stiff fiberboard. that glue eventually breaks down but it seems way to early for your year truck. However, it apparently has and it might have been caused by some leakage through the sunroof.

I have not seen velcro used to attach a headliner. It wouldn't work very well as vibration would quickly dislodge it.

The rectangles are there for fitment of lights and other options (courtesy lights, seatbelt hangers, grab handles, etc..) that may or may not be on your truck. If you were to remove your ceiling light you'd find another rectangle or square hole underneath it that penetrates the headliner material and pvc sheet. For the holes that are used you usually take a razor knife and cut an "X" from corner to corner in the material then fold back the material onto the back of the backer board or pvc sheet.

You can get replacement headliner kits, which include the pvc panel, or you can get a local auto upholsterer to remove the headliner, clean the old material off the panel and apply new material. While that sheet is out of the truck I'd inspect the area around sunroof and on the back of the sheet for any sign of water intrusion.

I used to live in Rock Springs. Seems to me there was one or two shops in town back then.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
I don't think I explained this very well with my words (they fail me sometimes LOL).
So here's pictures to demonstrate the issue...

Headliner overall:
20190116_081525_zpsznxrxnns.jpg

Passenger side close up:
20190116_081609_zpsreenoqck.jpg

Rear view close up:
20190116_081623_zpsddbozctx.jpg

Driver's side close up:
20190116_081649_zpsct8sipp9.jpg

Passenger side while pulling down:
20190116_081730_zps8tvkxwru.jpg

Rear view while pulling down:
20190116_081826_zpso12x75vy.jpg

Driver's side while pulling down:
20190116_081851_zps9dfkesf6.jpg

And now for what it should look like....

Passenger side while pushing up:
20190116_081919_zpsakljg9za.jpg

Rear view while pushing up:
20190116_081946_zps9zmyjo55.jpg

Driver's side while pushing up:
20190116_082010_zpsyhfjdkom.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh...so it's not just the material that's sagging, it's the whole headliner assembly.

Got it...sorry for the confusion. :(

yeah, that don't look right. It's like the pvc sheet is trying to shrink and pull away from the roof. When you pull it down do you see any plastic pins jutting up towards the truck roof from the headliner?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That last "what it looks like now" pic is pretty telling...looks like the mating portion of the "velcro" was supposed to be fastened to the headliner itself but has peeled off the headliner.

You can buy velcro that looks like it might work at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Its sold as heavy duty and is probably the most expensive roll there but its really tough stuff (more of a hard plastic backing rather than a cloth type thing we're used to)

I dont think the velcro "hooks and loops" have failed, more like the glue holding each side of the velcro on has failed.

Can you tell if all of the pieces that should be stuck to the headliner side are in fact still stuck to the headliner?

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
Oh...so it's not just the material that's sagging, it's the whole headliner assembly.

Got it...sorry for the confusion. :(

yeah, that don't look right. It's like the pvc sheet is trying to shrink and pull away from the roof. When you pull it down do you see any plastic pins jutting up towards the truck roof from the headliner?

Nope, no problem at all! That's why I took the time to take and post the pictures. No fault on you, I can be very very bad with conveying a thought or problem sometimes.

As far as your pins question, no. I cannot see anything that remotely resembles a pin or pins.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
That last "what it looks like now" pic is pretty telling...looks like the mating portion of the "velcro" was supposed to be fastened to the headliner itself but has peeled off the headliner.

You can buy velcro that looks like it might work at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Its sold as heavy duty and is probably the most expensive roll there but its really tough stuff (more of a hard plastic backing rather than a cloth type thing we're used to)

I dont think the velcro "hooks and loops" have failed, more like the glue holding each side of the velcro on has failed.

Can you tell if all of the pieces that should be stuck to the headliner side are in fact still stuck to the headliner?

I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question.

Referring to the images, all of the upper velcro looking tabs that are attached to the roof have a matching mate below them on the topside of the headliner. If you refer picture #6 (rear view while pulling down), you can see that the lower mate on the topside of the headliner is mounted to a white box of sorts. I cannot take a picture of the rest, but have felt around and all of the lower matching mates on the topside of the headliner are mounted on these white boxes.

Now, all of these lower white boxes have (what I'm going to refer to as) the other half of the velcro stuck to them. ALL BUT the one on the driver side (see picture #7 - driver side while pulling down). This is the only one that has the lower tab stuck to the upper/roof tab.

I really hope this makes sense.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I opened up your pics and magnified them some.

I'll be damned...there is velcro there! I've never seen that before.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere.
google "ram headliner velcro" turns up a lot of hits and picts, and fix ideas.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
I opened up your pics and magnified them some.

I'll be damned...there is velcro there! I've never seen that before.

Neither had I! I have had no idea that part of my $60k truck was held together by Velcro. Go figure. There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere.
google "ram headliner velcro" turns up a lot of hits and picts, and fix ideas.

I tried that exact search but could not find anything but a couple of other forum threads with a similar complaint. I did find tons of how-to's for removing or replacing the headliner but that was it for Ram related pages I could find. Everything else was either on a Ford or Toyota related topic and page. If you have found other information, preferably more detailed, then I'd be quite grateful if you would share the links with me.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I tried that exact search but could not find anything but a couple of other forum threads with a similar complaint.

I'd say you found what I did.
The velcro like fasteners are similar to 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560.

Fix ideas for headliner that's separating from to plastic ring around sunroof opening:

Zip Ties, Plastic Push Fasteners, Screws & Fender Washers
Plastic Push Fasteners.jpg

3M VHB Automotive Tape, Outdoor Extreme Heat Velcro, Gorilla Glue, 3M Duramix 4747 Super Fast Adhesive, Dap Weldwood Contact Adhesive

bigdodge

Reaction score
The upper part of the Velcro is just tape. U need to peel off the lower piece from the upper and pull the headliner down a bit and u will see how the lower Velcro square sits in a small channel of sorts. Once u get all the lower squares in their place just push up in those spots hard and wiggle it around a bit. It will hold. Not the best design for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I don't think I explained this very well with my words (they fail me sometimes LOL).
So here's pictures to demonstrate the issue...

Headliner overall:
20190116_081525_zpsznxrxnns.jpg

Passenger side close up:
20190116_081609_zpsreenoqck.jpg

Rear view close up:
20190116_081623_zpsddbozctx.jpg

Driver's side close up:
20190116_081649_zpsct8sipp9.jpg

Passenger side while pulling down:
20190116_081730_zps8tvkxwru.jpg

Rear view while pulling down:
20190116_081826_zpso12x75vy.jpg

Driver's side while pulling down:
20190116_081851_zps9dfkesf6.jpg

And now for what it should look like....

Passenger side while pushing up:
20190116_081919_zpsakljg9za.jpg

Rear view while pushing up:
20190116_081946_zps9zmyjo55.jpg

Driver's side while pushing up:
20190116_082010_zpsyhfjdkom.jpg

My interior does this exact same thing

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine does the exact same thing; its on the "to-do" list for me as well.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
Glad to know I'm not alone in this, even though I wish none of us were plagued by this issue.

I'm going to be calling a local upholstery shop tomorrow to see if they can recover my headliner for me. My ultimate plan is to replace all the tan interior trim with black trim pieces and the headliner being re-done/updated in black is on that to-do list. Since my headliner is being a PITA, I figure why not kill two birds with one stone. At least this way, I won't have to figure out how to remove the blasted thing.. just have a shop do it for me and recover it while they're at it. :)

I'll be sure to report back with my results. I'm hoping that, since it's their business, they're able to reinstall it flush with the roof, where it should have been in the first place.. and not charge me an arm and a leg in the process.

jaybytez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L V8
Did you ever wind up getting this fixed or a quote for it? I have the same issue and am trying to determine how much it will cost to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As long as both pieces of the Velcro are still attached to the headliner and the sunroof frame. All you have to do is push up on the headliner at the positions where the Velcro is from the bottom to re-attach it. You do have to push fairly hard though, you’ll hear it snap back together.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
Did you ever wind up getting this fixed or a quote for it? I have the same issue and am trying to determine how much it will cost to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortly after my last post, my husband and I bought a house and relocated to the Snowy Range (AKA middle of nowhere Wyoming). I was unable to get in contact with the shop in Rock Springs prior to the move but I haven't given up on this endeavor. Especially now that directions to our house include "turn off the paved road" making my headliner rattle worse by driving on the washboard dirt road. It's impossible to ignore at this point.

Once we get more settled and I'm able to devote my attention to all things Ram again, I plan to continue the hunt for an upholstery shop to get this fixed once and for all.

OP
OP
KA1OTE

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
As long as both pieces of the Velcro are still attached to the headliner and the sunroof frame. All you have to do is push up on the headliner at the positions where the Velcro is from the bottom to re-attach it. You do have to push fairly hard though, you’ll hear it snap back together.

I have tried exactly that and it's still no dice. And trust me, in my frustration, I have pushed perhaps a little too hard (though nothing broke far as I can tell LoL) but I've never heard the tell tale sound of Velcro snapping together. I do appreciate your suggestion though! I'm willing to try anything!