Help identify mods on my Ram 1500 (2nd owner)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey everyone - i bought my 2011 ram 1500 sport about a month ago with 70k miles on it and joined here right away. ive been reading up on things and love all the good tips ive found. my favorite is definitely the tailgate assist!!!!

so anyway - my headlights are horrible at night (misaligned too) and i came on to do some research about replacing them and realized there are some mods that i know about but maybe others that i dont even realize yet... like are my headlights stock? i have seen that some years offer projector and reflector variations but were the projectors available in 2011? its a true "Sport" from the VIN but was not blacked out version.

Things/mods im aware that the Original owner did (by observation only):
~painted all emblems to match truck color
~painted grille insert (is chipping - nto sure if i will redo or replace)
~aftermarket wheels and tires
~painted brake calipers (going to redo)
~painted exhaust tips black (have removed most of it)
~LED license plate lights

Mods i've done:
~added tow mirrors to replace mismatched and banged up mirrors
~tailgate assist (love!)
~powdercoated matte black/orange wheels to glossy black

possible mods -
~different headlights?
~different foglights? (look stock but illuminate half way into the trees when on and have a little gold inline resistor behind the bumper with black electrical tape so theyve been modified somehow)
~LED taillights?

anything else that you can confirm or suggest i check out?

thanks for your help. Since i plan on keeping this truck for a long while and want to do something to correct the headlights, identifying whats already been done will help.

IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0124.PNG IMG_0115.PNG IMG_0111.PNG

Last edited:

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For starters, you have projector headlights. I wonder if the prior owner put Leds in there. Leds in projectors may be the cause of your lighting issues.

OP
OP
CFRam1500

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats what i had been seeing from the research as well... so i went on to buy "replacement" bulbs for my truck and saw that in the later years there are the options of projector vs reflector but not my year. anyone know for sure if projector were available in 2011 sports?

should i replace with HID or go back to factory style halogen if there are in fact LED in the housing (i believe there is).

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
2013 was the first year for those projector style lamps and LED tail lamps. They came standard on Sport and Laramie (and up). Any trim in 2011 would not have had them.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Your truck came stock with quad headlights. Previous owner put the projectors in. with those projectors and a drop in hid kit you can get very decent light output. There is adjustment for up and down alignment for the headlights so that can be fixed without replacing the whole headlight

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there you have it. See what's behind those projectors first. Adjustment is located at the top of the housing and usually takes a hex in the few I have seen, you'll see it.

I don't know much about installing hids. I know if I were to go that route, due to the complaints I have seen with them I would want to assure it is done right and everyone here seems pleased with Jeremy at retroshop. That's where I would be taking my business for hids.

OP
OP
CFRam1500

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
awesome -that helps a lot. im a big fan of HID that are obviously done correctly so i will check out retroshop as well. thanks for the info all and love being back in the mopar family after a 7 year hiatus.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
For starters, you have projector headlights. I wonder if the prior owner put Leds in there. Leds in projectors may be the cause of your lighting issues.

i hope the previous owner didn't put led's in. Chances are he would have hacked up the dust cap doing so and they just are not designed for projectors yet.

However Diode Dynamics is supposedly coming out with a LED designed for projector headlights in the very near future if that route is less intimidating than HID.

OP
OP
CFRam1500

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely less intimidating. I’ll keep looking out for them and in the meantime try to get them adjusted better and hope that helps. I did verify they are oem Mopar projectors so that’s nice but I can’t tell yet if they are hacked up. I hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
i hope the previous owner didn't put led's in. Chances are he would have hacked up the dust cap doing so and they just are not designed for projectors yet.

However Diode Dynamics is supposedly coming out with a LED designed for projector headlights in the very near future if that route is less intimidating than HID.

I was thinking about the Diode Dynamics route. But holding money for suspension parts is the priority right now.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, if they put leds in them, expect a hole in the dust cap, maybe like this. I had to get creative to plug the hole and clean these projectors up and get them back in good working order. The guy who owned them before made a mess and I had to rewire everything. Good luck, hopefully you don't have a sloppy mess.

IMG_20180111_171834.jpg
IMG_20180111_171921.jpg

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Small world. My GF's uncle is the owner of that lot you bought it from!

Disclaimer: never met the dude so if he screwed you over, dont take it out on me!

That truck looks great, you can look into getting painted mirrors too. I think they would blend in much better

OP
OP
CFRam1500

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Small world. My GF's uncle is the owner of that lot you bought it from!

Disclaimer: never met the dude so if he screwed you over, dont take it out on me!

That truck looks great, you can look into getting painted mirrors too. I think they would blend in much better

Haha super small world! Great experience buying it. Agreed on the price before I made the hike from Jax and then everything was breezy :). And thanks. Really liking the truck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat