help me find this noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j5sense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hi guys. just purchased a 2008 dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt bighorn with the 5.7 4x4. about 89,000 miles.

love the truck! was a ford guy but now dodge for life.

my only beef is i have this rotational "chirp" above 35mph from the rear. it was there when i bought the truck but its getting louder.

if i turn sharply right it goes away, turn sharply left it gets louder. I thought it was a wheel bearing so i replaced both rear bearings and obviously the fluid with oem mopar parts. noise is still there. took off the rear brakes and rotors and machined them and cleaned off a lot of rust off the backing plates. the driveshaft u joints where replaced too. both of them.

im out of ideas.

i still think its the rear backing plates to the rotors. it was pretty rusted and the lip was a little mangled. gonna take it apart tonight and just grind the lip off.

anyone have or heard of anything like this? the noise dosent change with accel or de accel, just speed related and changes /goes away when sharply turning, so i think the rear end is ok, the gears looked clean when i had the cover off.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd suspect the backing plates or a pad dragging perhaps. Are the pads seated properly in the calipers and lubricated? Also check the parking brake assembly. The shoes might be rubbing

OP
OP
J

j5sense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
haha turned out the previous owner had the tires balanced somewhere and they installed they wrong size clip on weights... i took off a tire and dripped it and it made a weird noise.

the weight was just clipped on and about 1 mm away from the lip of the rim so it would (rattle) and go away when you load that side by sharply turning the tire would actually pinch the weight into place..

******** ive never seen that.