Help Me Make A Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'd go with #3 for the reasons SouthTexan gave.
1. Better EGR system (without having to delete)
2. Cleaner oil
3. better fuel economy
4. more power.
5. Auto transmission (more power, better fuel economy, reliability, etc.)

The only negative for me is the long bed, but YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perk7089

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
#3 for sure!!... I have a fully deleted 2010 Cummins 2500 HD
Crew cab 8' bed & I absolutely love it!!!! U should see people Look at me when I drift that big beast around corners!! Besides if it's gna be a work truck u would want the extra 2' of bed right???

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
#3 for sure!!... I have a fully deleted 2010 Cummins 2500 HD
Crew cab 8' bed & I absolutely love it!!!! U should see people Look at me when I drift that big beast around corners!! Besides if it's gna be a work truck u would want the extra 2' of bed right???

I don't think they are looking at you like you think they are... Probably more of a "look at that a-hole belching black smoke".

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

perk7089

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Possibly

perk7089

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
As long as I'm having fun, idc what people think!!

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
They are all pretty high mileage for 3-4 year old trucks. At least double the average yearly miles in the best case. I'd suggest pulling a carfax on whichever one/s you are interested in. See if it was a rental or oilfield truck.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
after a 15%-20% drivetrain loss through the auto trans, the outputs aren't much different. If the manual was rated the same, it would make way too much power. As stated though, the case seems to be somewhat suspect under hard shifting or heavy loads.

Even though I have a hard on for the manual trucks, my opinion is get an auto. Heres why... driving the G56 is a BBBB.

Have you driven one? You have to shift pretty slow, a lot of times (like every 5 shifts) you get locked out waiting on it to go into gear, and just the physical way you sit in the vehicle is not good. You will probably end up sitting much closer to the dash than you desire, and dislocate your shoulder reaching for the outer gears. Some people bend the shifter over towards the driver, maybe that would help.

In your mind, you think its going to be like banging gears in a car or a Tacoma or something. Naw, it might be synconized but it certainly isn't a smooth as butter trans.

JMO, I'm sure someone will tell you how its the best shifting trans in the world and their 37 disc clutch drives easier than stock. If you only drive 2-3 times a week, maybe but idk.

also, I haven't seen a deleting one that didn't smoke like a 1950s train. But I'm sure you could fix most of that, 80% of it is probably driver.

after all that, it does tow fantastic and it will pull like a champ.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
after a 15%-20% drivetrain loss through the auto trans, the outputs aren't much different. If the manual was rated the same, it would make way too much power. As stated though, the case seems to be somewhat suspect under hard shifting or heavy loads.

Even though I have a hard on for the manual trucks, my opinion is get an auto. Heres why... driving the G56 is a BBBB.

Have you driven one? You have to shift pretty slow, a lot of times (like every 5 shifts) you get locked out waiting on it to go into gear, and just the physical way you sit in the vehicle is not good. You will probably end up sitting much closer to the dash than you desire, and dislocate your shoulder reaching for the outer gears. Some people bend the shifter over towards the driver, maybe that would help.

In your mind, you think its going to be like banging gears in a car or a Tacoma or something. Naw, it might be synconized but it certainly isn't a smooth as butter trans.

JMO, I'm sure someone will tell you how its the best shifting trans in the world and their 37 disc clutch drives easier than stock.
The output difference isn't much different between a manual and auto with a lockup torque converter.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They are all pretty high mileage for 3-4 year old trucks. At least double the average yearly miles in the best case. I'd suggest pulling a carfax on whichever one/s you are interested in. See if it was a rental or oilfield truck.

Yeah but my budget ceiling is a hard 25k INCLUDING my trade in. Lower mileage pushes me too close to 30.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In the 2500's they switched in 2014 along with the CAD. The 3500's switched in 2013.

How much stouter are we talking about? Are we talking higher payload or higher towing? Or just a more durable frame?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517