Help me with my steering, idk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I double posted this on another site in hope for figuring this out.

Ever since I got new tires and redid a lot of stuff on my truck, and getting an alignment after it all, my steering just feels "off" more then it did before with worn parts that I replaced.

Here is some info on my truck, bought a 06 sport with 4x4 used last Sept of 2010, front outer edges of tires were badly coupled on the outsides evenly on either side. Drove it for 10k miles then redid all of the below at 10k and I did maintenance periodically over those 10k miles. got a lifetime alignment at Firestone for $180. Bought brand new tires from Discount tire company for $1200. Redid my alignment right after. It didn't really change but I wanted to make sure. Then I installed new outer tie rod ends with MOOG brand parts, bilstein hd shocks and struts, hell-wig anti sway bar, and then I have Firestone redo the alignment. Alignment paid for itself the third time.

However, my steering still feels Off. I don't know what it is. I am leaning towards my rack and pinnion. Here is why.

My brand new front tires seem to have very minor coupling on the far outer side walls. It is very minor but it is happening on both sides exactly the same.

My steering feels funky when turning, and there is play in the steering shaft where it enters the rack and pinion. Not much, but for sure is slightly moving in the rack and pinion. Sometimes I hear a loud "POP" from the steering wheel. Its pretty noticeable but not a big issue. Nothing happens when it pops. Only happens when turning. When steering in 4x4 it doesnt really turn smooth, its like the right front wheel has something wrong with it. Axle joint is something that comes to my mind, for my 06' its called a CV joint I believe.? I couldn't do a U turn with out some major vibration from the right front tire.

Would buying a completely new rack and pinion be my best bet? My inner tie rods if needed to be replaced cost $80. But a new rack costs $250-300 shipped. I wouldn't mind buying a new rack, as I know how vehicles work, they just get worn and can be fixed.

Remember, there is play on the section that enters the rack and pinion when i grab and try to turn the steering shaft from withing the engine bay. It is very small, either 1mm or 1/2mm of play

When turning my wheel all the way to the left in the drive way, and returning it to the middle, the right side tire isn't exactly straight. Its off by a few mm but is very minor.

My steering fluid is brand new, changed it out a few weeks ago, it was sort of low and needed to be changed. So thats not an issue. Inspected my ball joints upon installation of struts, seemed fine.

Is this something I could rebuild cheapy, I would get all the parts for the rack and pinion and then buy new inner tie rods rather then buying a complete unit.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
First off , other forums are crap .. here is where you will get THE MOST help .

Now I might be ******** in the dark here but does a 1500 have a steering box ? My 2500 does and with a turn of a screw you can adjust the "slop" . I also have a steering box brace that really trued up my steering after lift and tires .
But like I said im not sure you have what I have

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off , other forums are crap .. here is where you will get THE MOST help .

Now I might be ******** in the dark here but does a 1500 have a steering box ? My 2500 does and with a turn of a screw you can adjust the "slop" . I also have a steering box brace that really trued up my steering after lift and tires .
But like I said im not sure you have what I have

Haha, thanks ramhunter, I hope you guys can help me solve this.

I have a coil IFS so it's not a solid axle, and I have a rack and a rack and pinion. From there its pretty much a shaft which meets a u-joint, and then another shaft which ends up going into the firewall.

Sometimes in turns I also have a side to side motion in the front, what could cause this?

Here is a alignment spec sheet after I installed new moog outer tie rod ends, and right before I went and got new tires.

scan0079.jpg

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Looks like before you were toed in pretty good and they fixed that . I wonder if that wore out another parts like your R&P .

I will keep this bumped for ya ... the gang will chime in .

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like before you were toed in pretty good and they fixed that . I wonder if that wore out another parts like your R&P .

I will keep this bumped for ya ... the gang will chime in .

The steering was sloppy before new tires and stuff as well. Major points are my new tires have very minor coupeling, but maybe I am just trippin and its wear from turning. However I do know something feels weird with the steering. And I can't do a full u turn in 4x4 without something messing up on the right wheel.

Last edited:

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You keep mentioning steering in 4x4. Do you have 4WD engaged on dry pavement while you're making these sharp turns? If so, then this is totally normal. The steering will feel wonky because equal power is going to both front and rear wheels. When you turn, the front tires travel a greater distance than rear so you'll feel the truck binding up, which in turn will make the outside front tire on the turn (if turning left, right front tire) feel like it's dragging. If you're running in 4x4 on a dry surface a lot, then it's no surprise you're seeing increased tire wear plus it will put extra stress on ball joints, axles and ujoints.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You keep mentioning steering in 4x4. Do you have 4WD engaged on dry pavement while you're making these sharp turns? If so, then this is totally normal. The steering will feel wonky because equal power is going to both front and rear wheels. When you turn, the front tires travel a greater distance than rear so you'll feel the truck binding up, which in turn will make the outside front tire on the turn (if turning left, right front tire) feel like it's dragging. If you're running in 4x4 on a dry surface a lot, then it's no surprise you're seeing increased tire wear plus it will put extra stress on ball joints, axles and ujoints.

Thats only one of the issues I am having. And only when I am in 4x4. Maybe you are right. Ok guys, I got a new thing to add. Yesterday was the first day my trucks seen a heavy gust wind on the highway, when the wind really blows I feel like its hard to keep my truck straight sometimes. I have brand new outer tie rods. What could make it "pull" with the wind. Wheel bearings?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have slop where the shaft goes into the rack and pinion, try tightening the coupler. You have to really crank on that thing to get it tight. Did you go to bigger tires than stock? That will definately change the feel.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it was like 45+ mph winds yesterday and u have a big truck. thats normal
Alright.
If you have slop where the shaft goes into the rack and pinion, try tightening the coupler. You have to really crank on that thing to get it tight. Did you go to bigger tires than stock? That will definately change the feel.
How can I tighten that? And when I am driving, even with my alignment in spec and everythings good, I feel as if my steering wheel sits more to the left then center. And I don't know if this ad's anything but it feels like it turns to the left by itself easier then turning to the right by itself.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Follow the steering shaft down to where it goes into the rack and you'll see a bolt. If the wheel is offcenter, you'll need to have them adjust the wheel. As far as turning one way or another, you'll get used to it.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow the steering shaft down to where it goes into the rack and you'll see a bolt. If the wheel is offcenter, you'll need to have them adjust the wheel. As far as turning one way or another, you'll get used to it.

Ok thanks man. What exactly is the "adjusting of the wheel"? I feel that having the wheel turned one way more then the other seems like a worn part or something, so It only needs to be adjusted?

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I may post a photo so you can identify the correct bolt.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update, looks like I have 2 huge bolts. One at the bottom of the rack and pinion where the shaft enters and one on the front side of the rack. Both are the same size. It took a huge crescent wrench to tighten the lower bolt. Going for a test drive right now. Which bolt exactly am I going for here?

Reaction score
Born,raised and currently reside in eastern Ohio
Ram Year
1999 quad cab sport 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum=360CI
Update, looks like I have 2 huge bolts. One at the bottom of the rack and pinion where the shaft enters and one on the front side of the rack. Both are the same size. It took a huge crescent wrench to tighten the lower bolt. Going for a test drive right now. Which bolt exactly am I going for here?

What was the outcome?