Help - New Ram Owner Soon To Be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

looper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
Long time Chevrolet person. Switching to Ram. I am down to two trucks after months of searching. I would very much appreciate some feedback from long time Ram or Dodge owners. Here is my issue. I have a line on a very low mile, less than 20K miles 2012 Year 2500 and a certified 2018 3500 with less than 2K miles. the 2018 is $57K and the 2012 is $43K. I understand that there are some differences in hardware such as the nav systems etc, but what about overall general quality. The 2018 seems solid and everything looks and feels like high quality materials. The ride and cabin sound is amazing for a truck of this size.

As far as the 2012, it is 800 miles away so I cant test drive it and my local dealer doesn't have a 2012 or similar vintage that I can drive and get a feel for myself. I am wondering if the 12's would feel similar in terms of quality, ride comfort, cabin sound and general overall solid well built feel. Being new to Ram, they appear very similar as far as the interior goes.

Thank you in advance for any responses

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I personally would go with the 2018 and try to work the price down a bit. Its certified thats a big plus. It has the balance of the factory warranty and would be eligible for the max care extended warranty if you wanted. The cummins engines are solid in both years :imo:. At 20K the cummins isn't even broken in yet. My last 2500 was a 2009 cummins with a 6spd manual. It is my all time favorite and its ride was awesome.

oh BTW . :welcome: to the forum and I believe you will love either truck.

OP
OP
looper

looper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you so much for your response. I am leaning heavily toward the 2018. It was returned to the local dealer @ 1400 miles because of a faulty check engine light that stays on constantly. They have had their issues diagnosing the issue as the light still remains on. The owner for some reason wanted no part of it and demanded a trade. The truck is spotless and runs perfectly. Was listed at $68K new. I have the deal at $55K if I want it. I write the check when the check engine light issue is resolved. Had the truck for the weekend. First time I had driven a Dodge or excuse me Ram! Great vehicle! Will keep you posted!
Thank you again!

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Congrats on the Truck! I purchased my 3500 Dually new in January 2017, my first diesel to own. I used it for 16 mths. to Hot Shot Campers out of Indiana to anywhere in Lower 48 and Canada. My truck now has 217,500 miles and still drives, rides and handles as if still new! I for one will never own another truck unless it's 3/4 or 1 ton. I have been through Wyoming several times heading to Washington, Idaho and Oregon hauling R.V's to destinations. I must say Wyoming is a Pretty state to live in. So any how, what transmission does your truck have and what gear ratio?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congratulations on your new to you Ram. Sounds like a lot of truck! Remember we all drive used vehicles.