Help please, Throttle body To clean or not to clean ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irish6768

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2021 warlock and sensor says Throttle Body issue Several threads say to clean it, several threads ( along with Chrysler printed on back to TB "do not clean" ) My question is do I clean it? Second question, if I replace it, does new one need to be "programmed" If so, is that done at dealer or can I program it and if so how?
As always I greatly appreciate any and all expert guidance

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
2021?

Warranty, take it in and be doen with it

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer cleans it during scheduled maintenance. Does not need programed. Maybe a few drive cycles to adjust

OP
OP
I

irish6768

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the reply! its out of warranty, 55k miles on it, I drive often.
I will clean it and see. I can purchase new at mopar for $350 or a rebuilt at O'Riellys for $250 When I called dealership they said it had to be programmed by a dealer and would be a 90 min - 2 hour process and had to be scheduled???. I also saw a threat that talked about "programming" one by slow accelerator depress and release while when ignition is first turned. That thread was for an older model Ram, so just was not sure as this is a Classic body 2021. Again any and all insight is welcome.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the reply! its out of warranty, 55k miles on it, I drive often.
I will clean it and see. I can purchase new at mopar for $350 or a rebuilt at O'Riellys for $250 When I called dealership they said it had to be programmed by a dealer and would be a 90 min - 2 hour process and had to be scheduled???. I also saw a threat that talked about "programming" one by slow accelerator depress and release while when ignition is first turned. That thread was for an older model Ram, so just was not sure as this is a Classic body 2021. Again any and all insight is welcome.
If you remove it to clean it,disconnect the negative battery cable first. If you're doing that relearn,you're supposed to wait till the dash lights go out when you turn the key on,then do the pedal to the floor trick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To not clean a throttle body, that is a new one to me. Expose the throttle body while it is on the truck and with the engine running just shoot some carb cleaner on it and clean it especially the hinge or whatever you want to call the center of the butterfly. Inspect it first, if it is bad then best to remove it. The more carb cleaner you spray in it might clean the combustion chamber as well, winner winner. I would bet you can even use sea foam to clean the throttle body and shoot the entire can in the chamber. You might have to turn truck off when cleaning the chamber side of body, open with a finger. Remember it is a vacuum, so you don't want to clean inside with the vacuum on, might suck something in there.

two birds one stone

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've a 19' and I personally clean my TB twice a year when I do my filter maintenance.
I run a Billet Technology catch can and empty it every oil change.
But, I still have buildup on my TB at every service, albeit not a lot because of my catch can.
I notice that my truck is happier and more responsive after I clean my TB, and I have a Fastman TB in use right now too.
Predictive and preventative maintenance, in my opinion only, is a sure way of ensuring that ones ownership experience is a good one!
That's just my $0.02, though.

** Edit - I don't remove or disconnect a thing... I spray quality TB cleaner in there, and also soak a new microfiber cloth and manually clean my TB everywhere.

After I manually clean the TB, I shoot a good squirt into the intake and let it sit for about 5-mins... Then I fire her up and take her for a good tromp! Good as Gold ;)

OP
OP
I

irish6768

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for your reply, apologies for my delay in responding. In your experience would the TB have a direct impact on gas mileage? I have noticed on certain road trips that I used to avg 19/20 mpg I am now seeing 16/17 It is a 2 year old 2021 with 60,000 miles on it. So was not sure if that is more just a result of miles driven or a diff issue?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have your road trips all been in the same seasons? You are in NY, we are still running winter fuel blend here in the northeast. Winter blend gets lower MPG.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can have that throttle body off in less than 5 min. Disconnect negative terminal on battery. 4 screws, unplug and disconnect the air filter tube.
Get some crc throttle body cleaner and a small brush (tooth brush works well) and some clean rags. Just spray the inside of the throttle body where the build up is and use the brush to break it up then wipe clean. I try not to move the butterfly too much but need to so you can clean around the hinge. Just don’t spray directly into the electronic part and you will be fine. Reinstall in reverse order.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And yes it can have a direct impact on fuel mileage. Usually it will an impact on performance all together.