Help with AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orlandop97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first time in a forum, so please guys give me a hand. I have 2008 ram 1500, I've had it for about a year already and ever since I got it i've been having trouble with the AC and heater. When I would turn on the ac or heater it would not blow any air until I would hit a bump on the street, although that did not work all the times. Last week when ever I would turn on the AC I could hear something "clacking" with little air coming out of the vents. Now since the beginning of this week it has not blown any air through the vents at all. Do you guys have any idea on what it can be? Thank you in advance for your help.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My initial guess is the blower motor. It's down under the dash in the passenger foot well.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may also be the blend door, which is a common failure on the 3rd gen AC systems. Fairly easy to replace yourself, though some dealers will say you have to pull the whole dash and charge tons of labor. Shops that know what they're doing will remove the glove box and replace it with some creative reaches.

OP
OP
O

Orlandop97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may also be the blend door, which is a common failure on the 3rd gen AC systems. Fairly easy to replace yourself, though some dealers will say you have to pull the whole dash and charge tons of labor. Shops that know what they're doing will remove the glove box and replace it with some creative reaches.

I appreciate your help man, do you know more or less how much would someone charge for doing that? well where you live

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like your recirculation door broke and fell down on top of the blower motor. This will block airflow and depending on how hard you hit a bump could cause it to move and get some airflow back. Before you do anything pull your blower out and reach up in there to see if you feel the broken door. It's free and will only take a few minutes.

Just so there's no confusion. The recirc door can be seen behind the glove box. The blend door is buried deep in the HVAC system. I've never heard of a blend door being replaced by just pulling the glovebox. But regardless judging by your symptoms I'm willing to bet your recirc door broke and is laying on top of your blower motor.

Actually, first thing to ask, is your blower running when you get no airflow? Like the air is blocked somewhere but the fan is running? Or is the fan just not running at all?

Last edited:

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like your recirculation door broke and fell down on top of the blower motor. This will block airflow and depending on how hard you hit a bump could cause it to move and get some airflow back. Before you do anything pull your blower out and reach up in there to see if you feel the broken door. It's free and will only take a few minutes.

Just so there's no confusion. The recirc door can be seen behind the glove box. The blend door is buried deep in the HVAC system. I've never heard of a blend door being replaced by just pulling the glovebox. But regardless judging by your symptoms I'm willing to bet your recirc door broke and is laying on top of your blower motor.

Actually, first thing to ask, is your blower running when you get no airflow? Like the air is blocked somewhere but the fan is running? Or is the fan just not running at all?

Yeah sorry. This is the one I meant to be describing. Got my vehicles crossed.