Help with headlight problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Megami

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently noticed the high-beam indicator stays on even when the lights are turned off or on low beam when in use. My truck is a 98 5.2L Ram 1500 4x4 and here is the troubleshooting to this point.

1. Unplugged the wiring from the high-beam selector switch and hi-beam indicator stays on.
2. Verified operation of headlights
3. Unplugged one headlight at a time and high-beam indicator stays on.
4. Unplugged BOTH headlights and the high-beam indicator goes out.
5. Checked grounds located near headlights and didn't notice any broken or damaged wires. The connections were tight to the body.
6. Verified no fuse in the fuse box for the running light module. Installed a fuse but high-beam indicator does not go out.

OP
OP
M

Megami

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brought a test light and a bolt meter. I have constant power on the high beam wires. Thus activates the bright indicator. I will have to check the MFS again and see if it's not damaged unless someone else has a different input.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pull the headlight switch and inspect it. Chances are pretty good the back is a bit melted and completing the high beam circuit. Switches didn't really quit being a problem until 99

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Your headlights are always going to be hot on the B+ side. Dodge likes to switch things on using the ground wire. Was a pain when i tried figuring out how to wire up OEM fog lights with an OEM head/fog combo switch in a truck without the fog light option lol.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Lauren is correct, Gen 2 trucks use a positive ground system. Because very few people are trained on how to diagnose and maintain positive ground systems, they are a bit of a mystery to most. Your best bet if the headlight switch isn't the problem is to pull up the wiring diagram.

If you are still confused, something one of my electrical teachers had taught those who had trouble understanding positive ground systems (There was a lot of them) was to draw a big negative sign over every positive mark, and put a battery positive symbol on all the ground marks. For most simple circuits, like lighting and motors this will work without a problem as well as being much less confusing to troubleshoot as long as you remember to invert all results from your meter/test light.

Also, until you become accustomed to working on them, make a habit of printing wiring diagrams and writing on them instead of trying to remember everything.

Don't feel bad if you still need help. I spent a year and a half in electrical classes, and a third of that was learning and working on positive ground systems. I can still get thrown through a loop sometimes until I slow down.