Help with snugtop wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdlestmsg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can yall please help me out? I have a '16 1500 and picked up a snugtop shell for it from marketplace. The shell is wired for lights and lock, but don't know how to wire it? I found some videos for the 3rd brake light wiring, but not for the lock. Appreciate any help!

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Mdlestmsg, first off let say I am a little bit OCD when it comes to wiring, I take my wiring connectors apart and solder the new wire onto the crimped end then reinstall the pin into the connector.

Ok, you are saying the shell door has a power lock. I would tap into the tailgate lock wire, and round the wire along the harness that runs up to the left tail light and into the bed on front side of the stake pocket.

Did you find the factory supplied wire for the 3rd brake light or did you tap off one of the tail lights ?

If you have factory cargo lights next to the tail gate, I would tap into the left one for the interior lights (if the shell is equipped).

Last suggestion is use a flat 4 pin trailer plug between the truck and shell. That way if you need to remove the shell just unplug and remove the shell.

I will post some pics of my shell and wiring job.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mdlestmsg, here are some pics. 1st is where to find tailgate plug. 2nd is where my wires enter the bed. 3rd is flat 4 plug. 4th is just showing my ocd lol.

20210102_160626.jpg

20210102_160708.jpg

20210102_160646.jpg

20210102_160730.jpg

Erpabustan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you happen to have a diagram that lists what each of the wires should be connected to? I can’t seem to find anything online. I have a rebel shell that I need to connect to brake light, dome light and locking mechanism. Would appreciate any help…