Are my lifters/cam done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hello guys and gals. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4L that recently developed the slight tick. Ive only had the truck for a year and didn't hear it at first. However the last few days I noticed a tick and it was starting to get louder. I have since then stopped driving the truck and torn part of it down. I'm currently at a crossroads and I would like to see what everyone thought before I proceed.

So a little about the the truck the engine has 188k on it. Ive been running 0W-40 and a wix filter for the time Ive had the truck. I have also the exhaust manifolds repaired so that shouldn't be a problem. I have pulled the valve cover off the drivers side since that was where the tick could be heard from. (Also couldn't hear the tick when listening from above the engine, only when listening near the front driver side tire.) Got the cover off and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Rocker arms are tight with minimal movement. Had the truck turned over while watching the rockers. All seem to be moving properly but the intake rockers for 1 and 3 don't look like they are moving as much as the rest of them, could just be me being paranoid.

What should my next step be, get the head off and verify the lifter and cam are ok?. Put everything back together and swap to 5w-30 and a fram ultra filter, just to see if it goes away?. I'm going to cut open the filter soon to see if there is anything in it. Took some vids of the valve train. Any advice would be appreciated.

Valve train pt1
Valve train pt2
Valve train pt3

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline 5w30 and a Royal Purple 20-820 has proven to be very good at killing hemi tick. I see you are new here, but there is a decade of evidence on this forum, letters from engineers, polls, tests of different lubrication strategies, evaluating the science of lubrication, etc etc. Even changing lifters and a cam to a brand new cam and lifters is NO gauruntee it will kill hemi tick, and lubrication strategies only carry about an 80% success rate at getting that tick, or 50% in the case of lesser strategies such as lubegard biotech we call poor mans redline. Read this thread and the poll results on 100 ram forum trucks.

Tick is no reason to pull apart an engine, a misfire code is, as long as you don't have a misfire, you might consider one of the lubrication strategies. If the valves are all traveling the same, the cam isnt worn yet. The science of this strategy is not a masking of the issue, a masking of the issue is going with something like lucas visc 110, this strategy is about protecting the came with EP additives and base oils to kill this tick. If it does or doesnt work vote your results, the science proves it can take many miles to plate, so give it some time like 1,000 miles and see it the tick just disapears, you can chnage your vote at anytime, we are only interested in accurate info not fluffery.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
61 ram forum members hemi tick was killed with reldine 5w30 and rp20-820
28 members tick was noticeably better
14 didnt effect hemi tick at all

103 random ram forum trucks votes are public so you can see the info. Mind you these are trucks that already had hemi tick, so is it worth an oil change to find out? You have to use something anyway, this is one of those no risk things in life with big upside. Yes 5w30 redline is ok to go in 6'4, it will be thicker then oem oil throughout the interval after about 500 miles.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the reply Burla. I was actually hoping to see what you thought. Yeah I'm new here but Ive been reading alot of your posts. Its why I have thought about doing the oil change first.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you see the condition of the oil control valve? It either has metal or it doesnt. If it does, mise well play around no downside to anything. But if the tick is new and the oil control valve is clean, there can be some risk with metal in engine. Then you need to weigh the decision, lubrication strategy or cam swap Even if you do a cam swap, you still can go to a lubrication strategy to protect the cam for the next time. You seam to have a lot of talent around an engine, so maybe you go that way, your choice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This guy is the best resource that I know.. If that valve has metal all over it then Ram says the engine is unsaveable, warranty or not. So no reason not to play around if that has metal on it, I didnt check how long you were driving with a tick.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the compliment. I have dealt with SBC's alot in the past.

Pulling the ocv was on my list of things to do. Unfortunately with the egr cooler is in the way so its not as easy to pull as it is on the 5.7. So I figured inspecting the filter would do the trick. Correct me if Im wrong. Does the the ofc get the pressured oil before the oil filter. Its the only reason I would think to check the ocv before the filter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello guys and gals. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4L that recently developed the slight tick. Ive only had the truck for a year and didn't hear it at first. However the last few days I noticed a tick and it was starting to get louder. I have since then stopped driving the truck and torn part of it down. I'm currently at a crossroads and I would like to see what everyone thought before I proceed.

So a little about the the truck the engine has 188k on it. Ive been running 0W-40 and a wix filter for the time Ive had the truck. I have also the exhaust manifolds repaired so that shouldn't be a problem. I have pulled the valve cover off the drivers side since that was where the tick could be heard from. (Also couldn't hear the tick when listening from above the engine, only when listening near the front driver side tire.) Got the cover off and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Rocker arms are tight with minimal movement. Had the truck turned over while watching the rockers. All seem to be moving properly but the intake rockers for 1 and 3 don't look like they are moving as much as the rest of them, could just be me being paranoid.

What should my next step be, get the head off and verify the lifter and cam are ok?. Put everything back together and swap to 5w-30 and a fram ultra filter, just to see if it goes away?. I'm going to cut open the filter soon to see if there is anything in it. Took some vids of the valve train. Any advice would be appreciated.

Valve train pt1
Valve train pt2
Valve train pt3
If you can phsically see a differance in the rocker movement on 1 and 3,cams toast

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you can phsically see a differance in the rocker movement on 1 and 3,cams toast
how would that not throw a code, I missed that did you see that are just going off what he said?

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Im going to try and get another video of from another angle. But if the lifters or cam were done wouldnt the rocker arms be loose. I cannot physical move them one way or the other. In the past when I have dealt with a cam or lifter failure its always been loose. I was just wondering if any one has had a case like this were the signs didn't quite show a lifter failure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im going to try and get another video of from another angle. But if the lifters or cam were done wouldnt the rocker arms be loose. I cannot physical move them one way or the other. In the past when I have dealt with a cam or lifter failure its always been loose. I was just wondering if any one has had a case like this were the signs didn't quite show a lifter failure.
Hyd roller lifters,so you won't get all that much movement from the rockers even if the lifters on the base circle.If you can see a differance in rocker movement with a naked eye,either the cam lobe or lifter are toast .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
how would that not throw a code, I missed that did you see that are just going off what he said?
Lots of guys report no misfire codes up till the roller physically leaves the lifter.
Just going off his post Mike,but if he can see the intake rockers on 1 and 3 aren't moving the same as the other intake rockers are,odds are he's got cam issues.They should all move the same amount as the other intake rockers are moving

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Well you make some good points. It may be better to go ahead and take the head off to at least check the lifters and cam.

Any recommendaitons on where to get a stock cam and lifters?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well you make some good points. It may be better to go ahead and take the head off to at least check the lifters and cam.

Check with Benny,he's a mopar vendor on here,and usually has some of the best prices on stock parts

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Buy a dial indicator, measure and record the movement of all rockers. Eliminates guess work and wishful thinking.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Over the weekend I pulled the oil filter and its got metal in it. No large chunks thou. I will be doing a cam and lifter change.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Over the weekend I pulled the oil filter and its got metal in it. No large chunks thou. I will be doing a cam and lifter change.
Any metal in the filter is evil.