Hemi Ping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I've mentioned many times that my truck pings, and sometimes people respond with "well my truck doesn't ping". Listen closely to this video here. At 7:32 and 7:33 seconds you can faintly hear the ping which is like little marbles ratting around.

I don't know what octane he's running, didn't watch the whole video.

So yes, the hemi pings like crazy. Worst on 87, less on 89, even less on 91 but still present slightly.

Both heat and octane contribute. If my truck is cold, no ping. If it's hot, towing up a hill and running 87, it's going to sound like a squirrel symphony juggling their nuts in a glass bowl.

If you don't hear it, try a good pair of headphones!

I just bought a pulsar. Hoping the towing tune which @HEMIMANN said runs a little richer might help in this regard.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I can't hear anyway. But whichever of you ran the datalogger sure helped me decide what octane to run based on the actual engine detonations and ignition timing changes.

The only thing I don't know is diff between the 89 octane blend and 91 octane pure. If I was younger I'd find out.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am no expert here but I am interested and have some experience with tuners. Any modifications done to your truck?
What made you choose a Pulsar over a more powerful tuner like a Diablo Sport or better yet HP Tuners? My understanding is that Edge intended to add custom tunability to the Pulsar but they never got that far and ditched it. So if that's the case, you are just going to get a plain old, "canned" tune out of it. Might help, might not.

It is concerning to me that your truck pings if it's stock. Thankfully I haven't experienced any pinging in my truck but my old 5.9 magnum pinged like crazy if I didn't run 91 in the thing.

Good luck! I'll be following this one closely, hope you get it figured out.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
G, I stated above I wanted toggle tunes, not a single optimal tune for a single usage parameter.

Also did not want a cracked ECM cause illegal to resale in Minnesota.
Unless I am missing something I don't see where you mentioned not wanting to unlock the PCM. Could have missed it, long week lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Unless I am missing something I don't see where you mentioned not wanting to unlock the PCM. Could have missed it, long week lol

Pulsar is an add on ECM that modifies the stock ECM

You can remove it and truck returns to stock to sell.

I didn't know how bad the market would get when I bought it, though, may never sell it. Wish it had the ZF trans, though.
Oh, well.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know how the Pulsar works. It's crap IMO. Reminds me of the old JET piggy backs back in the day.

Still curious where you stated above you wanted to toggle tunes and didn't want a tune for one purpose. Thinking of a different thread?

You can also just swap PCMs if you want and use a real tuner to get better results. Then, swap it back when you sell the truck. But I will admit there are some cool features the Pulsar has.

Anyway, curious to see what OP figures out. Pinging on a stock truck is not something I have seen before. Hopefully some of the guys that are really experienced with tuning will chime in.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I've mentioned many times that my truck pings, and sometimes people respond with "well my truck doesn't ping". Listen closely to this video here. At 7:32 and 7:33 seconds you can faintly hear the ping which is like little marbles ratting around.

I don't know what octane he's running, didn't watch the whole video.

So yes, the hemi pings like crazy. Worst on 87, less on 89, even less on 91 but still present slightly.

Both heat and octane contribute. If my truck is cold, no ping. If it's hot, towing up a hill and running 87, it's going to sound like a squirrel symphony juggling their nuts in a glass bowl.

If you don't hear it, try a good pair of headphones!

I just bought a pulsar. Hoping the towing tune which @HEMIMANN said runs a little richer might help in this regard.

If that's ping,it's also doing it when he lifts off the skinny pedal,as it makes the identical noise.I don't think that's ping you hear,as it wouldn't do it on deacceleration

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If that's ping,it's also doing it when he lifts off the skinny pedal,as it makes the identical noise.I don't think that's ping you hear,as it wouldn't do it on deacceleration

I'm not hearing it on deaccleration, do you have a time stamp for me so I can listen a little better?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not hearing it on deaccleration, do you have a time stamp for me so I can listen a little better?
When he lifts,it makes the same noise as when he floors it.Start at where you thought it was pinging,and listen closely to when he lifts at the end of that dyno run.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am no expert here but I am interested and have some experience with tuners. Any modifications done to your truck?
What made you choose a Pulsar over a more powerful tuner like a Diablo Sport or better yet HP Tuners? My understanding is that Edge intended to add custom tunability to the Pulsar but they never got that far and ditched it. So if that's the case, you are just going to get a plain old, "canned" tune out of it. Might help, might not.

It is concerning to me that your truck pings if it's stock. Thankfully I haven't experienced any pinging in my truck but my old 5.9 magnum pinged like crazy if I didn't run 91 in the thing.

Good luck! I'll be following this one closely, hope you get it figured out.

Basically I want to adjust my idle RPM up, and want to run a little richer during towing for getting rid of that ping. I know HP is the way to go, but its also very expensive and at this point I just want something "now" as its the dead of winter and I prefer to run to let it warm up a little and was always hesitant in the past.

At some point I do plan to get it tuned properly, but for now I just need something simple that works somewhat cheaply and fast.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When he lifts,it makes the same noise as when he floors it.Start at where you thought it was pinging,and listen closely to when he lifts at the end of that dyno run.

Between 7:34 (after the second/last ping) and 7:46 when he let off I heard 0 ping? We must be hearing different things.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to listen to it like a dozen times but there is a much quiter single click on decel on the first pull at about 7:38ish It's right after he hits the limiter.

Wonder if that has to do with the ratchet straps or something like that. Not so sure it's a ping now after Wild one mentioned that.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Between 7:34 (after the second/last ping) and 7:46 when he let off I heard 0 ping? We must be hearing different things.
I'm hearing the same noise at 7.34 as i do at the end of the run.I think G might have nailed it,i think it could be the tie downs we're hearing on both throttle tip in,and when he gets out of it,as i'm not hearing any ping.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not hearing anything at 7:38, at least nothing that reminds me of what I hear in my truck. I've listened to that section 10 times with different headphones, I just hear those two times at 7:32 and 7:33. They occur within half a second of eachother and then it's gone.

I've also never heard my truck ping on deacceleration. It's always been above 2600-ish RPMs and always under significant load (not necessarily towing, but definitely getting after it in a hurry).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not hearing anything at 7:38, at least nothing that reminds me of what I hear in my truck. I've listened to that section 10 times with different headphones, I just hear those two times at 7:32 and 7:33. They occur within half a second of eachother and then it's gone.

I've also never heard my truck ping on deacceleration. It's always been above 2600-ish RPMs and always under significant load (not necessarily towing, but definitely getting after it in a hurry).
If you get ping on deacceleration,there's definitely something seriously wrong,lol.It's virtually impossible for a gas engine to ping when you're coasting down.
I think G might have nailed it,as the noise isn't a ping noise,it more like the noise the truck would make moving around on the rollers and the straps changing shape.
I've had several vehicles on chassis dyno's over the years,and some of the noises they make at throttle tip in and deacceleration are pretty outstanding,and i think that's all your hearing.Could be anything from tire slip to straps changing shape,but i honestly don't think it's ping you're hearing.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That noise does remind me of my old truck pinging. But it is pretty quiet. And I don't see how it would make that sound on Decel like Wild One said.

Is it loud enough in the cab that you can take a video to share with us?

Wouldn't pinging show up on the knock sensors? Wonder if you could use AlfaOBD to data log the knock sensors. You can log pretty much any sensor you can find in Alfa. (this is starting to exhaust my knowledge here so I am just thinking out loud)

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was bored and reading all comments.

That noise to me, sounded like it didn't even come from the truck. Could have been straps or fan they were standing next too, or even desk/dyno equipment.
If you watch more of the video. They move phone or whatever they are using to take video in different spot. And pulled again, no noise.

Didn't sound like any pinging I've ever heard

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you get ping on deacceleration,there's definitely something seriously wrong,lol.It's virtually impossible for a gas engine to ping when you're coasting down.
I think G might have nailed it,as the noise isn't a ping noise,it more like the noise the truck would make moving around on the rollers and the straps changing shape.
I've had several vehicles on chassis dyno's over the years,and some of the noises they make at throttle tip in and deacceleration are pretty outstanding,and i think that's all your hearing.Could be anything from tire slip to straps changing shape,but i honestly don't think it's ping you're hearing.

I'm not hearing the ping on deacceleration :) Just want to be clear, neither in my truck nor in that video. Whatever you are picking up on deacceleration is a different noise than those 2 blips I hear between 7:32 and 7:33

That noise does remind me of my old truck pinging. But it is pretty quiet. And I don't see how it would make that sound on Decel like Wild One said.

Is it loud enough in the cab that you can take a video to share with us?

I've tried but it quickly gets lost in the noise of the rest of the truck. That's why I liked this video so much, very rare we get to hear it so easily with no wind/tire noise and standing right in front of it with an open hood.

Wouldn't pinging show up on the knock sensors? Wonder if you could use AlfaOBD to data log the knock sensors. You can log pretty much any sensor you can find in Alfa. (this is starting to exhaust my knowledge here so I am just thinking out loud)
I did try briefly in JScan but didn't know what I was looking at. I can try AlfaOBD next, but I will also try run with the pulsar in tow mode and see if that makes any difference.

I was bored and reading all comments.

That noise to me, sounded like it didn't even come from the truck.

Again guys, it came from the truck. This is the noise I've heard in my truck over 4.5 years so it's buried deep in my head and keep in mind what I've noticed before:
1) doesn't happen when the truck is cold,
2) occurs more often the hotter the engine gets
3) occurs more often the lower octane I'm running.

What other noise would follow that pattern?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again guys, it came from the truck. This is the noise I've heard in my truck over 4.5 years so it's buried deep in my head and keep in mind what I've noticed before:
1) doesn't happen when the truck is cold,
2) occurs more often the hotter the engine gets
3) occurs more often the lower octane I'm running.

What other noise would follow that pattern?

I can just hear a couple of ticks between 7:32 & 7:34.

The sound reminds me of a single marble, loudly ticking against a glass measuring cup. Tick, tick, and that's it.

It also reminds me of a noise I once heard after starting my truck. I had briefly parked on a steep incline, engine side down with the engine warm from a short road trip.

After sitting for 20 minutes or so, IIRC, when I started, I heard a brief noise that sounded like a small collection of marbles, rattling in a tin cup, a slightly different tonal quality but similar.

This has only happened once since I've owned the truck, purchased in January '22.

The noise I heard on my truck, like in this video, does sound like a detonation issue, AFAIC.