Hemi Starter Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgerk9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014, no problem with the starter. Might just cursed myself, I live in northern Michigan and have the original battery too. Bought it new, about a year in stoped letting it shift in to eco mode, could not stand to he sound and with no money to buy the aftermarket controller I keep it in 5th or trailer tow. 143000 approx just now getting lifter noise. Good luck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
96k on my 2013 with the original starter, no issues and no signs of it going bad yet. As mentioned they usually give you some sign they're going bad.

I drove various work vans for 15 years which were started approx 10 times throughout the work day. All of them gave me signs they were going bad before they completely quit. And because the company I worked for was cheap, they got remanned Chinese starters. They didn't last nearly as long as the oem starters so when mine goes bad on my truck its getting a Mopar starter.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your better off investing into a AAA policy than to start throwing parts at your truck hoping to avoid some future failure.

PS in all the vehicles I have owned since 1987(which was a 74 Camaro) I have NEVER replaced a starter in any of them to date.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So let me ask the question another way. How many of you, with 10 yo or older RAMs with Hemis, have replaced your starter motor?

2010 here 155k wouldn't even consider replacing it unless it showed signs of acting up.
Last truck '98 dodge...192k..never needed one..wife's '87 Trans am...240k something...never needed one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
It has nothing to do with the weather, I have done this type of maintenance out west as well, however it is not the seabreeze but the salt they put down in the wither months can create corrosion of parts, I do a view over every six months and the maintenance that it may require

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In every truck I have owned , now that is 7. Within a year I will change the starter alternator, battery for sure. on my 2014 now I changed it with in a year, that was 2019 , i am the second owner, and it was on the way out

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you change all these components on a yearly basis or...?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Agreed, either he has terrible luck with his vehicles or he's changing a lot of things he doesn't need to change.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being an ASE Certified Master Mechanic with 48 years under my belt, I'll share a recent experience I had. I had downloaded my latest software for my PICO automotive oscilloscope and decided to play with it on my 2004 Ford Ranger Edge with the venerable 3.0 Liter Vulcan engine.

I had no issues with the truck... it started well and ran fantastically. During a relative compression test I did on my scope, I discovered quite by accident that my starter had a dead spot in the armature! I was flummoxed due to the fact that the starter worked fine. It was clearly on it's way out.

I was quite happy to replace the starter in my own shop on my own lift as opposed to being stranded somewhere. Had the starter motor stopped with either brush lined up on that dead armature winding, I'd have been out of luck.

The starter I pulled of was the original with about 158,000 miles on it.

dodgekenworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport with 120,000 miles. I am wondering if I should consider replacing my starter motor before it lets me down in an inconvient place. Would appreciate some information on how long your Hemi Starter Motor lasted before you had to replace it. :(

Thanx .... Dan
300000km just changed mine pretty sure its original something like a starter if it sounds good and works leave a lone but that's me any stater problems ive had with past stuff they usually give you warning of near failure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you change all these components on a yearly basis or...?

I do this maintenance only after purchasing a new used truck, so I know that these comp are good, and when i have done this a few comp were on the way out . I never stated I do this every year

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed, either he has terrible luck with his vehicles or he's changing a lot of things he doesn't need to change.
i am disappointed on a few comments related to my post, I only stated that i change these comp when i purchase a used truck so i know they are good , and many were on the way out faulty

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt mean any disrespect on what I stated or anything.
I apologize if i/it came across that way.wasnt intended in that manner.
I just didn't understand by your post the way it was written if a parts change was needed or those parts just get changed every year.
You've clarified it for me now.

Last edited: