HID Ballast Mounting Locations + Mounting Techniques.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am curious where everyone has been mounting their HID ballasts and/or LED drivers for Retrofit’s. Usually I mount them right behind the headlight but my latest retrofit has 2 ballasts on each headlight with 4 profile performance led drivers aswell. So a total of 6 “boxes” for each headlight and it’s becoming a mess behind my headlights.

I ordered some extensions for the HID kit and I am building some DIY extensions for the LED drivers with a JST plug kit from amazon, to reach the Bluetooth Controller.

I am trying to figure out the length I need for the 3 pin & 4 pin JST extensions but in order to do that, I need to figure out a good mounting location first.

So where is everybody mounting their retrofit drivers & ballasts and what type of mounting materials did you use? Has anyone built a custom enclosure or mounting plate for everything?

Curious to see pics of everyone’s mounting setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mounted some on the frame behind the headlights and some on the front cross support in front of radiator. Plastic piece covers it up and easy to access.d21fb36bdd4b5cd5557f4503b8ed1ce3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m kind of curious to see what kind of headlight setup requires 4 ballasts and 4 led drivers for each light

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m kind of curious to see what kind of headlight setup requires 4 ballasts and 4 led drivers for each light
*** edit: just noticed my typo. It is in fact 2 ballasts per light, 4 total. NOT 4 per light [emoji2363]

Lol this is the kind of reply I like!!!

AlphaRex “2019” style for the 4th gen. I did have 4 led drivers and 2 ballasts for each light lol but I had to remove the RGB strips from the DRL areas because they were not bright enough and I replaced them with Profile Sequential strips.

2 D2S 4.0’s in each headlight, so 4 total. All 4 run on the low beam, and all 4 shutters drop for the high beam. It’s a killer setup and I don’t get flashed really ever unless I’m on a bumpy road. As for the led drivers, I’ve got RGB Demon Eyes in all 4 projectors, and now the profile sequential strips in the top and bottom DRL sections. Also custom painted gloss black with pr4 flame red paint matched projector bezels.

Just waiting on some AMP extensions from LightWerkz and then they’ll be resealed and back on my truck. Tons and tons of wiring.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So much crap to mount with so little room. I ordered wire extensions for the ballasts so I can mount them furthur away which gives me way more options on mounting locations. I bought a JST plug and terminal kit off amazon for retrofit builds so I went ahead and I made a bunch of extensions for the RGB lighting so I’ll also have more mounting options for the drivers aswell.

Onto the pics.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I mounted my ballast to the frame just below the headlight as you reinstall it. I think I used a couple zip ties to hold them in place temporarily. Somehow temporary turned into over 2.5 years later.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
*** edit: just noticed my typo. It is in fact 2 ballasts per light, 4 total. NOT 4 per light [emoji2363]

Lol this is the kind of reply I like!!!

AlphaRex “2019” style for the 4th gen. I did have 4 led drivers and 2 ballasts for each light lol but I had to remove the RGB strips from the DRL areas because they were not bright enough and I replaced them with Profile Sequential strips.

2 D2S 4.0’s in each headlight, so 4 total. All 4 run on the low beam, and all 4 shutters drop for the high beam. It’s a killer setup and I don’t get flashed really ever unless I’m on a bumpy road. As for the led drivers, I’ve got RGB Demon Eyes in all 4 projectors, and now the profile sequential strips in the top and bottom DRL sections. Also custom painted gloss black with pr4 flame red paint matched projector bezels.

Just waiting on some AMP extensions from LightWerkz and then they’ll be resealed and back on my truck. Tons and tons of wiring.

That's a gnarly setup I'm sure. Since I went away from my Alpharex back to My TYC porojectors, I've thought about opening the Alpharex and swapping out the low beam projectors with some D2S projectors. How hard was it mounting the projectors? Did you have to custom make brackets? If so, from what material?

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's a gnarly setup I'm sure. Since I went away from my Alpharex back to My TYC porojectors, I've thought about opening the Alpharex and swapping out the low beam projectors with some D2S projectors. How hard was it mounting the projectors? Did you have to custom make brackets? If so, from what material?

Yes lol i spent 2-3 weeks of daily research and development and I went through 5-6 different designs and setups for mounting the D2S projectors before custom making brackets. I tried many different styles of mounting and the only choice left was custom one of a kind brackets. And it was not easy. The AlphaRex lights are not setup inside like any other lights I’ve seen. I would not recommend it unless you have retrofitted a ton of lights before and you are familiar with the nut & bolt method, and comfortable custom fabricating brackets. This is expert level retrofitting.

If you look at my profile and search my post history you can find my most recent posts and for Truck Build thread has a breakdown of the methods I tried and failed at and what eventually worked with pictures of the brackets

FUS88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
hey there, Oo

So, I have the denso slim ballast running a newly fitted d2s 5.0 projector. I can't seem to find a decent place to mount it behind the headlight, the wire connecting to the bulb is just too short to have the ballast fixed. As you know it is not like the AMP connector that can be disconnected when removing the headlight. You have to drag the denso ballast out with the headlight and remove the dust cover and unplug the bulb.
I was wondering if anyone is running the same setup and faced this problem and how he handled it.