HID kit...did I get the wrong bulb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I just purchased and installed a DDM 35W HID kit last week for my 2015 ram with projectors.

Bulb size is 9006. Is that the wrong size? I ask because when I turn on the high beams it looks as if there is a brighter setting on the bulb that ignites (like a dual filament).

What is the correct bulb size?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The factory projectors that year used 9012 bulbs, but that is interchangeable with the 9006 with minor tab modification, electrically it's the same. FYI: Starting in '16 the factory projectors use 9005 for the lows.
What you seeing with the lows getting brighter on the factory projectors is the projector shield dropping out of the way for high beam operation. If you don't already, put LEDs in the highs for gobs of light when you need it.

OP
OP
N

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ahhh...that makes sense. I have to say projectors suck. :) the light output with the shield removed is what I am used to seeing on my other cars that have had HIDs.

Time to get some led bulbs for the fogs now. And I'll grab some for the hi beam as well too.

Thanks for the explanation!