High beams work intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to me 2015 Dodge Ram 1500. Notice high beams work when they want to. I have to push the turn signal forward many times to get them to come on in auto. Same when light switch is in manual. I was told the switch was bad. I think maybe the sensor that detects light coming at me is bad. When I do get them to work, they wont turn off when another vehicle approaches.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Service department said there is no recall on this problem. So I have to troubleshoot it myself.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it is the high beam switch. Is it a part of the turn signal switch? Anyone?

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one has had this problem? That's weird. I thought maybe it was common. Huh. Oh well. Lol

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I have the auto high beams and if I'm driving anywhere where there is light from buildings or street lights etc.... they work intermittent at best.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
New to me 2015 Dodge Ram 1500. Notice high beams work when they want to. I have to push the turn signal forward many times to get them to come on in auto. Same when light switch is in manual. I was told the switch was bad. I think maybe the sensor that detects light coming at me is bad. When I do get them to work, they wont turn off when another vehicle approaches.
It is a little bit difficult to follow what is going on. I'd suggest getting the switch to the manual position, then push the lever "down" and see if the high beams come on. Go from there.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I had that problem - turned out it was a bad harness plug to the headlights wiring. The plug had been wet and was corroded. We cleaned it and put some Noalox on the contacts, haven't had the problem since.

Kendra McLean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just figured this out... auto high beams were weird. Turned the headlight switch from "auto" to on, problem solved (for me)

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I toyed around with my '17 late yesterday afternoon. Put the selector on the dash in "auto" and got a message on the cluster that the auto dimming lights were activated. It was dark enough for the low beams to come on. If it is not dark enough, the high beams will not come on with those settings. I got the "activated" message whether I had the high/low beam selected or not.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I've put it in manual, auto and no lights on at all. I can pull back and it works for a bit but when I push it forward nothing. If i jiggled the turn signal/high beams back and forth they would come on for a bit. Now nothing. I even taped the little sensor and same. I'm taking it in to Ram tomorrow. I've got a bit of warranty left. We will see. Worried I won't have any lights at all.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does it in manual or auto. I'm going to pull the steering cover off and look at the switch here in a minute.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didnt find anything in the steering column. Checked all of the connections to the blinker, headlight, wiper switch. All look good. I'm at a loss now.

jwndriver14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that problem - turned out it was a bad harness plug to the headlights wiring. The plug had been wet and was corroded. We cleaned it and put some Noalox on the contacts, haven't had the problem since.

Where is that harness plug at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk