High EGTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Its working...but I dunno if its working right. It sounds like a coffee grinder when running and during the initial start up. And I didn't get these high EGTs till the airdog...so I'm getting a new one, gonna see if it changes anything.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update:

Got the new Airdog on...runs SOOOO much better. BUT my egt problem is still there. I had it set on the 90hp tune...put it to the floor, smoke rolled more that it ever has (really thick)...EGTs stayed in check untill I hit second gear, then they climbed to 1400. Thats when I let off.

So...my guess is I have after market injectors in my truck. Thats my guess.

I've got my AirDog 1/2 fuel lines running straight to my CP3...so I'm gonna try and run it to my stock fuel filter canister. Maybe that will add a little more resistance...I guess we'll see

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You must have injectors...I run SW3 also and it smokes pretty good, but not super thick.

My gauges should get here may 9th so I'll let you know what my EGTs are at... I don't think the lift pump should raise your EGTs like that

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
On 3 I don't have as much smoke. Its modderate but controlable. If I roll into the throttle it wont smoke much at all.

on 4 (90 hp tune) its thicker than ****...

I dunno whats going on. I think I'm just gonna have to pull my injectors and have them flow tested...bc not knowing is killing me!!

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Are you running a module with the smarty? If you arent, why don't you try 5 with the added timing?

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've tried em all man... with timing and without timing. No go!

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No really clear answer.

Either
A. My stock lift pump was going south, alowing me to run a higher tune with out over fuelling
B. I have aftermarket injectors...pushing to much fuel for my stock turbo
C. No clue lol

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Why is a guy like me can have +40 HP injectors, +120 HP Edge Comp and stock 3" exhaust, stock HX35W Turbo, and BHAF and never have a single EGT issue? I'm producing roughly 400 HP to the ground and then work the crap out of my truck towing trailers loaded with firewood or RV.

AirDog 150
Edge Comp
RV275
BHAF
Straight Pipe 3"

And I see right at 1,200*F EGT pulling 16,000+ pounds on a 7% grade that with the Edge Comp wide open! On the open flat roads I see right at 550-600*F...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Why is a guy like me can have +40 HP injectors, +120 HP Edge Comp and stock 3" exhaust, stock HX35W Turbo, and BHAF and never have a single EGT issue? I'm producing roughly 400 HP to the ground and then work the crap out of my truck towing trailers loaded with firewood or RV.

AirDog 150
Edge Comp
RV275
BHAF
Straight Pipe 3"

And I see right at 1,200*F EGT pulling 16,000+ pounds on a 7% grade that with the Edge Comp wide open! On the open flat roads I see right at 550-600*F...

Cause you didn't buy a used truck that may have unknown mods which is the point basically behind the thread...

We pull 12k lbs with our 6.7 (should be around 490 hp) reguraly and there's no temp problems

We all get that 24v are te greatest thing the ever happened to a dodge truck....

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Everyone's trucks are different. I have no clue why my EGTs get so high...thats my I'm asking. I wish I didn't have the problem but I do. Those 2 options in post 48...those are guesses on my part. The research I've done leads me to that.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
When are you gonna have your injectors tested?

I'm willing to bet that's what's going on. The smoke shouldn't be as think as you say on a 90HP tune...at least it isn't on my truck lol

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
So the only thing I can scratch up is DRAG or FUEL SYSTEM.

Either something on the truck is producing a good amount of drag or the fuel system is screwed up yet like leaking injectors or oversized injectors? Because more drag you add to a truck the higher the EGT's become. More fuel injected more EGT's you going to get... In any case the EGT's is a sign of how much fuel your pouring in the engine more fuel the hotter the fire.

After thought... Possibly a FCA (Fuel Control Actuator)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Does the FCA controll before or after the CP3?

The reason I ask is bc I have my fuel pressure gauge right before the CP3 and the number are correct

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Does the FCA controll before or after the CP3?

The reason I ask is bc I have my fuel pressure gauge right before the CP3 and the number are correct

It regulates the flow of fuel through the cp3

A quick test for the FCA is unplug it with the engine idling. Should cause the rail pressure to max out and the engine will run really rough.

You have your gauge in the right place,that is where I run mine as well.

The air dog should'nt have changed anything.It is a pump that puts fuel to the cp3...That is all it is there for is filter and to keep up the psi of what you need to your cp3.

Now if you had added a cp3 then I could understand your stuff getting hotter.

How are your boost numbers looking ? are they the same as before the AD ?? If not the I would lean towards someone maybe bumping the intercooler boot/pipe..Or you have developed a boost leak and don't know it.

If that is not the problem then get you injectors tested!!

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Goof info man...thank you.

And my boost numbers are the same as they were before the Airdog. Seeing 30 at WOT (its never gonna any higher than that since I switched to the smarty. My superchips would see 42 psi)

I just figured if my injectors were failing I would have some kind of sign telling me. But I guess I might have one of them weird trucks thats breaks with no symptoms lol

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Being the injectors are the final control of fuel I would consider pulling all 6 and having them tested... But that's just me...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca