High EGTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think I'll pull the injectors and have them tested before I buy new ones lol

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yea that would be the best.Scheids is in the same state as you I would have them test em.Thats who I dealt with for my 100s.And if you have one bad just replace all 6 if not you will be chasing your tail.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'll take a look at them...I'll see what the truck does on its stock setting and go from there.

Do you know how much smoke is to much on stock setting?

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Alright...I'll see what I have in the morning.

I really dont have a lot now...only when i'm from a stand still and put it to the floor is when I see the most smoke... it will smoke untill the turbo spools up then the smoke is gone

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
When hers went we were doing about 55/1500 rpm up a hill and it was blowing black smoke and I knew something wasn't right

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'll do all kinds of test and see when and how my truck blows smoke. I know I can get my truck to smoke from a dead stop pretty good. And at 55 when I half throttle it but keep the TQ locked in.

So I'll see what I can come up with... I've read the dealer can scan your truck and tell you if you have bad injectors? Or is the bench test the best?

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In this video is honestly the most smoke you will see some out of my truck with my smarty on level 7

[yt]nNexSKc5NCQ[/yt]

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Like I typically say... Everyone ran from VP44 powered trucks because VP44 failed to fast... Now everyone is running from CR engine because injectors are failing just as fast as VP44 but cost 3 times more than VP44...

Time to come back to the 2nd Gen... :naughty:

Seriously I really do think its a injector problem. Lot of programmers like Smarty and other are pressure adders that can/will crack the nozzles with excessive pressures. This is why you need a rail pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, boost, pyrometer, and a tens temp if your auto...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Like I typically say... Everyone ran from VP44 powered trucks because VP44 failed to fast... Now everyone is running from CR engine because injectors are failing just as fast as VP44 but cost 3 times more than VP44...

Time to come back to the 2nd Gen... :naughty:

Seriously I really do think its a injector problem. Lot of programmers like Smarty and other are pressure adders that can/will crack the nozzles with excessive pressures. This is why you need a rail pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, boost, pyrometer, and a tens temp if your auto...

I believe he has all but the pressure gauge

There isn't any excessive smoke in that video to me

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I believe he has all but the pressure gauge

There isn't any excessive smoke in that video to me

The trick is the turbo is covering it up with boost pressure. Typically most people never complain about any excessive smoke or performance issues when injectors start to fail. You might hear about it takes a extra second or two of cranking to fire it up or like in his case there is extra fuel in the oil...

Remember the whole design of common rail engines was to allow early injection pulse(s) to deaden the knock of the main event. Now think of a injector that never quits... You'll never know... except the oil grows in level, hard start, blow by issues...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Just throwing my 2 cents in the hat
Waste gate closed shut ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I dont have any of the common signs of injector failure tho...no fuel in oil, no white smoke...nothing.

Ran the truck on stock setting today...ram great. From a dead stop I put it to the floor...no smoke, EGTs held at 1200*.

I've been having problems with my Airdog...it sounds like a damn coffee grinder. So I'm in the works with airdog in getting a new one.

I've also set an appoint with the dealer to have them hook their fancy computer up to my truck and see if I have a failing injector.

I've also been in touch with Dave at DB Truck Customs about a set of injectors. I'm gonna take some baby steps before I got throwing $2500 into a new set of injectors.

Thanks for the info everyone...I'll def be keeping an eye on it and see.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I've also set an appoint with the dealer to have them hook their fancy computer up to my truck and see if I have a failing injector.

I've also been in touch with Dave at DB Truck Customs about a set of injectors. I'm gonna take some baby steps before I got throwing $2500 into a new set of injectors.

That the best thing you can do test and verify the fuel system isn't damaged... I always suggest to everyone to TEST and VERIFY the parts are truely damaged before even thinking of spending money.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Glad to hear its not injectors
hopefully it's just a faulty airdogg and the replacement fixes the problem

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yup...thats why I wanted to take baby steps before I go blowing money lol We'll see what happens with this new airdog and go from there. I'm sure I'll need in jectors one day...but I'm hoping they hold out till my new turbo

Thanks guys

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got a fuel pressure gauge in the mail coming from Dave...gonna hook that up and get my new Airdog hooked up.

Gonna see what my FP is with the new Airdog...if I'm still having high EGTs after that then I will have my truck hooked up to the dealers scanner and have them check my injectors. If that comes up negative...then I'll pull em, and either get new ones or have them bench tested.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Was your AD even working ?

Seems like they have went down hill.I have never had any problems with mine so far any way 3 years and still going.