Highway speed vibration 2014 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 1500. I have been dealing with a highway speed vibration for quite a while. I have done numerous things to address it - I've rebalanced all tires (including a road force balance) several times, bought all new tires, did a complete brake job, replaced shocks, even replaced the driveshaft. It isn't a horrible vibration but enough to be annoying. It is present typically above 65 MPH.

The vibration does not come through the steering wheel or brake pedal.

Other than this little nuisance issue, I love my truck and want to to hold onto it. But every time I take a highway trip it is annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you have a fix that I have not tried??

Thanks for any possible help

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I had a vibration in my 11 quad cab at about 70 mph, turned out to be rear control arms. This was at about 110K miles on the clock. Bushings were shot. Put core 4x4 fixed length control arms on and vibration went away. Those rubber Bushings wear out over time.

My experience.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Can you determine the frequency of the vibrations? Engine-trans-driveshaft vibrations will be 3-4x the frequency of tire-wheel vibrations, generally speaking.

Does it change if you accelerate or coast?

For issues with wheels and tires I had success with having them balanced on the vehicle. It’s hard to find a shop to do that anymore.

What are, specifically, the wheels and tires?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been told my many master techs that "if you can drive in and out of the vibration, it's a wheel/tire issue". So if you get above the curve, does the vibration stop? Say 75 or 80 mph? I have the same issue on my truck. 2018 and it'll vibrate 65ish to 70ish. Faster or slower, it goes away. And like you, I've balanced, re-balanced to no avail. It seems common that Ram had wheel balance issues for a period. I have the chrome clad 20" wheels which are known to have balance issues. It doesn't bother me enough to replace wheels (yet, though I've thought about it several times). Also, there was a run of Wrangler SR-A's (OEM tire) that were horrible to balance on the 20" series (I know you said you replaced rubber). It's aggravating for sure...