homemade cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Completely assembled...
IMAG2442.jpg

Rubber Coupler with metal shield @ Throttle body end
IMAG2443.jpg

4" K&N Air Filter
IMAG2445.jpg

Sensor Plug (Painted) with sensor attached to it
IMAG2444.jpg

_______ See next post for more!!

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
and last but not least...

A before pic:
(Old Ebay CAI intake)
IMAG2441.jpg
It worked very well for the years I had it. It was a 2.5" tube, with a 3" K&N air filter. Sensor was held with black Sealant Silicone and it never gave me issues. It took me a bit of time just to take off the sensor, and remove the silicone from it.

After:
IMAG2446.jpg

I think It looks pretty decent. I might ad an elbow later to point the flter down into the void, but I will see later on.

Please do feel free to give me your Honest opinion, and 2 cents... just be mindful of hate comments. They don't bother me, but others might feel offended. Lets avoid that!

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
badass, you basically made a low tech Ramhammer!!! hows it perform? Hows it sound?

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
badass, you basically made a low tech Ramhammer!!! hows it perform? Hows it sound?

Have not had a chance to fully test it as I want, since I just installed it this weekend, but it does feel like it struggles less to intake the air. The sound is fairly similar to my old system, but you can tell it hums a bit more. Nothing distracting at all. I believe once I install my pace setter headers on, I will notice the difference. (Obviously, but I meant over the old CAI, even if i never tested it with headers on)

As far as being similar to a RamHammer, well not really, since the Ramhammer funnels from 4" to 3", thus compacting the air... This is a 3" tube straight out, and ends in the 4: filter. Little to no compaction of air. But it is more air coming in than the old, 2.5" System.

I will defenetly let y'all know of how it performs as soon as I get a chance to test it. I have some numbers from how the old system performed from my "Car Performance" App on my phone, I will compare numbers!

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks great! Must say someone needs a engine bay cleaning lol

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looks great! Must say someone needs a engine bay cleaning lol

Lol... As much as I want to keep it top notch, I live in a town where most roads are dirt roads... the engine had been pressure hosed down at a carwash not long before the pic was taken. before, I had mud all over it, from going over puddles from recent rain. that's one of my concerns with lowering the air filter down. What I might do, is an air scoop, and direct air to the filter area instead.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would one make their own Ramhammer? I gave it some thought but couldn't figure out what material would be best to go from 6" to throttle body size? I've never worked with fiberglass.

EDIT: Sorry. not trying to jack the thread. Long day... haha. Killer intake man!

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How would one make their own Ramhammer? I gave it some thought but couldn't figure out what material would be best to go from 6" to throttle body size? I've never worked with fiberglass.

EDIT: Sorry. not trying to jack the thread. Long day... haha. Killer intake man!

Thanks!

I won't be on the fence for trying to jack it! I too would love to know how to build the Ramhammer, or a variant of it... It would be sweet. Maybe a 2-part mold? then finish by wrapping in fiberglass?

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
I remember someone on here was making a prototype for a metal version, but never heard much from it

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting... I'm getting an arc welder for xmas, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good for doing an intake. What would you use for metal?

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
Aluminum is all I can imagine, but pVC would be great
Interesting... I'm getting an arc welder for xmas, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good for doing an intake. What would you use for metal?