Horn honks when key fob leaves truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nolanwilson5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to figure out if it’s possible to shut off a 3 honk alarm on my 2022 2500 larmie. When I jump out of the truck with the fob in my pocket the truck honks 3 times warning fob has left the vehicle. I’ve not seen anything obvious in setting just horn for lock and unlock? Thanks

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something new on the 2022's? The 3 time Honk Warning is the Warning you receive when You shut off your truck, and try to leave the keys in the vehicle. The vehicle horn Honks 3 times and the driver's door unlocks. (FYI, this warning only works 2 times, after that, you can lock yer keys in the vehicle). It is not a warning on the FOB leaving the vehicle, but when left in the vehicle. Are you possibly leaving the second "Key Fob" in the vehicle? That would be my only thought unless your BCM needs to be reflashed.

Preventing Inadvertent Locking Of Passive Entry Key Fob In Vehicle:

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a
Passive Entry key fob inside your vehicle, the Passive Entry
system is equipped with an automatic door unlock feature
which will function if the ignition switch is in the OFF
position.
If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel
switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors have
been closed the vehicle checks the inside and outside of the
vehicle for any valid Passive Entry key fobs. If one of the
vehicle’s Passive Entry key fobs is detected inside the
vehicle, and no other valid Passive Entry key fobs are
detected outside the vehicle, the Passive Entry System
automatically unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn
three times (on the third attempt ALL doors will lock and
the Passive Entry key fob can be locked in the vehicle).

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nolanwilson5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The second key fob is not in the vehicle. When I get out with the “fob” in my pocket and the engine running the truck honks three times and chimes on the dash saying “fob” has left the vehicle. We also have a 2021 1/2 ton Larmie that still chimes on the dash but no honk. Thank you

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s a new feature on the 2022s that mimics what other manufacturers have been doing for a while- its a safety feature that reminds you the engine is still running, because it can’t determine if you are briefly walking away from the truck, or done using it and forgot to shut it off. There’s no way to turn it off via customer settings, and I don’t see a setting for it in AlfaOBD to turn it off in the BCM.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have an 05 that beeps twice after shutting off the truck and exiting it. I discovered that the radio controls it. When I went into the firmware on the radio I found an option to silence the beeps on exit. Go figure. And before I get bombasted, I know this is an older thread, but just thought someone might be digging through the archives some day in the future.

NaCl342

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Bighorn 4X4 Off Road Pkg
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I also get honks when I shut the door with my key in pocket while engine is running. So the manufacture thought is is a great idea to let people in the area know when I have left my truck running unoccupied? The interior notice is much preferable.

RAINCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is one of the most annoying features of my new ram. If your dumb asz is dense enough to walk away from your car while leaving it running (and in a man are such that a three honk notice would correct it) the it belongs to someone else.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is one of the most annoying features of my new ram. If your dumb asz is dense enough to walk away from your car while leaving it running (and in a man are such that a three honk notice would correct it) the it belongs to someone else.
Guess you've never been where it goes to -30 or colder in the winter,lol. When the temps get below -30 alot of vehicles are left running.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have that on my '19. dont think it is new. it mostly happens when I have the keys in my pocket but I am next to the door and manually push the lock button and shut the door before i step away. it probably thinks the keys are still in the truck. when I park at a public place I always do the manual lock because there are hackers that can sit at home depot or someplace and scan fob codes as folks lock their vehicles.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to talk to the dealer when it goes in next about this. I get in/out of my truck all day long to open/close gates and holy hell is it annoying.

Blasting the darned horn 3x right as I walk by the front of the truck.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ya it is a bit annoying. I have to open my gate manually (hopefully not much longer, will be getting an automated gate in near future) and every time I get out and shut the door. 3 honks (motor still running). Not super annoying but the wife loves it every morning when I leave for work at 5:45 am and she hears the honks. My adventures to the bar and staying out til 4 am have been hindered as well since I now wake her up when I am trying to be sneaky and come inside. I tried the "I got home at 11 pm" but she was able to tell me exactly when she was woke up to the honks of the stupid horn going off. My new ram has made me a more responsible human being since I can no longer get away with my hoodrat ways.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am going to talk to the dealer when it goes in next about this. I get in/out of my truck all day long to open/close gates and holy hell is it annoying.

Blasting the darned horn 3x right as I walk by the front of the truck.

I for got who, but was told to either leave the door or window open to prevent beep beep beep...

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
It’s funny they designed it that way to honk since you can unlock your car with the app if you have the subscription.

But, I like the honks because I’ve left my keys in my pocket when my girl was going to take the car shopping while I was at physical therapy. If she had left and turned the car off she would have been stranded until I took an Uber to get there.

This was in her Lexus - the beep is much more subtle than my Rams honks but at least the toot is a bit more polite than it was on my Ford…so there is that.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Guess you've never been where it goes to -30 or colder in the winter,lol. When the temps get below -30 alot of vehicles are left running.
or the one time you left them in the mailbox lock and got half way to town when you notice the key fob notice in the evic.doh!

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a solution to the theft issue on three honks... I have the same problem and hate it too, I leave mine running in the summer for the dog, she likes the a/c when its 100 out... so if someone is brave enough to want to open the door and try to steal it, good luck. haha, and its funny she likes to perch up on the center console too, hard to miss the teeth from that angle

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Luckily, I only have a 2019 DT Bighorn, and not have the Honk Issue. But I also have a 96 LB German Shepherd, and U would be a fool to even think of opening up the
door of the truck, LMAO.

ODWA9935.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank