How do I change suspension for softer ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
My 22 classic tradesman will tow 10,000 ‘supposedly’ and rides smooth as silk on 17 inch LT E tires go to a 1500 if you are not towing much or at all…

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I suppose this above sums things up, you don't change suspension bits, change
to a 1500 or different tires.

A 2500 has always been a Power (lumber) wagon, heavy duty work truck,
and that's great if you need it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What are you using the truck for, Pulling trailer, hauling stuff?
Or just using it as a car, it's a 3/4 ton , so it's going to be stiff when empty.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
It will look UGLY but. Take out the front seats and get some with the air ride in the seat. Truck still can haul/pull "stuff" as designed! seat can be adjusted to each person as they like, each and every time someone gets in the cab. What kind of a project that would be? Are seat of this style available? I know when I drove semi's cross country that is what made the cabin livable for 9 hours a day. The school bus I drive know also has one! So do I know if this is possible- NO. Fine a manufacture of them and ask. But as mentioned : what was it purchased for?

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Limited mega cab, without air suspension.
The ride is pretty harsh, especially for the rear seats.
How do I change the suspension for softer ride?
Should I visit the dealership or other places like midas?
What is recommended and how much will it cost?
I got the truck as new 3 months ago, will changing the suspension void warranty?
Really? You bought a tow beast and your butt hurts? Two ways to get a softer ride. Tow something heavy. It will actually make the ride smoother....like designed. The other way is trade down to a 1500 that was designed to give a decent ride without 10k on the trailer hitch...................The only way to make a tow beast have a smooth ride without towing something is weaken the suspension to the point it is no longer a tow beast.

whitesub93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 3500 4x4 diesel and I changed out the shocks to Bilstein 4600's. It made the ride more like a 1500 and did not cost a fortune. Try this before doing a suspension swap.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, for the record I'm in a '19 PowerWagon. But, Carli suspension are for all 2500's and they have levels of ride adjustments. They can even bring a PowerWagon back up to regular 2500 standards - if it wants one. I put the 1st level on mine and I am highly impressed. And what warranty are you concerned about, shocks are wear and tear . Hell Mopar won't touch springs either. Enjoy

jorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree with all the previous versions of "uhm, you bought a HD truck; this is how it is" replies. One thing you maybe can do is feed-the-beast in the form of putting a load in it. My 2500 also bounces around like a lunatic when totally empty. Things improve when I have so much as my fifth wheel hitch in it.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I got the truck as new 3 months ago, will changing the suspension void warranty?
Thuren Fabrication. He's got a softride system that dials it in. He's a fraction of Carli. I have carli's minipaks,coils and their special tuned Foz 2.0's Dispite their claim it's not pavement tuned enough. I feel the section joints on I-5 and that's with a 300# shell and 200# of bagged back there. Give them a call or one of their "dealers".

Bigblue2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ctd
Wow ask a simple question. Look on Craigslist or market place for take off bilstein shocks (blue and yellow) 4600 these come factory on 2500 with off road pkg I got a set of 4 for $125 huge difference. Cheap easy and NO CHANGE TO TOW OR HAUL RATINGS.

See simple

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
Put 1000-1200 pounds in the bed and leave it in.

Rob4469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im adding the Thuren kit this week after I rode in a 3500 that had it. Quotes were $2700 - $2200.

TraderTom69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 gas
I have a 2022 2500 Longhorn. While I bought it to tow a fifth wheel trailer, I too wanted a better ride. I feel it is the best riding 2500 of the big three due to the coil spring design.
I replaced my shocks with adjustable King shocks. They have about 25 settings on them. I have found about 3/4 to the stiff side works for me. I originally had 18" rims with E rated tires but changed them to 17" wheels with LT rated tires of the same overall height and width to keep my speedo and electronics happy. The wider sidewall versus the 18" or 20" rims helps with shock absorption. I bought the AlfaOBD software and a OBD2 dongle which allowed me to run the 55lbs air pressure in the LT rated tires (instead of 80lbs). Otherwise, the TPMS light would be on all of the time. And I added some weight in the rear aka the 5th wheel hitch and some tools in the toolboxes. The tire and wheel change made the most difference. The Shocks were a close 2nd, and the weight just helped make it, so the suspension was running slightly loaded (NOT riding at the top of the suspension). My truck now has a slightly reduced towing capacity, but the daily drive is so much better!

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No word from the OP on this matter?..alot of fairly common sense answers here...you would think he woulda said at least "thanks everyone"...geez.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
You can put on the power wagon coil spring. They are bit soft cost 800 to $1000 to do, take about 6 hours.
But your tow is 10.000 lbs and 1500 lbs payload. And air down tires.

Willie 3 cent,