How Do You Upload Updated UConnect Firmware when USB port does not connect???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2013 RAM 1500 UConnect 8.4 has an update that I would like to upload. The radio does not acknowledge the media hub ports that are located in the console. I replaced the media hub and still have the same issue.

So, how do I upload the firmware update without a working USB? In one of my related posts, I believe the radio is causing the HVAC system to act incorrectly (vent selection, temperature selection, etc.) and UConnect Customer Service says the update should fix the issue.

But, I can't get the update to upload through the media hub port. So, what is my next course of action, short of buying a discontinued radio?

dh

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 2013 RAM 1500 UConnect 8.4 has an update that I would like to upload. The radio does not acknowledge the media hub ports that are located in the console. I replaced the media hub and still have the same issue.

So, how do I upload the firmware update without a working USB? In one of my related posts, I believe the radio is causing the HVAC system to act incorrectly (vent selection, temperature selection, etc.) and UConnect Customer Service says the update should fix the issue.

But, I can't get the update to upload through the media hub port. So, what is my next course of action, short of buying a discontinued radio?

dh
You can plug in directly to the back of the radio with this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK1OFOM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

dh

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison

RamCares

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison

RamCares

Vehicle was at the dealership last week for this issue. They provided no solution or repair.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, those should work if it's going to work at all. I had an 8.4 RA3 this happened with and after updating while directly connected I plugged in the OEM hub again and everything worked.

Perfect. I am hoping for the best. Having little to no heat on these 20 degree days has been sporty on my hour drive to work. And it will only get colder...

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Format your flash drive fat32, If you put mp3 files on the root of your USB drive can the radio play them? If it plays them I would guess it’s a file structure issue when you put the update files on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Format your flash drive fat32, If you put mp3 files on the root of your USB drive can the radio play them? If it plays them I would guess it’s a file structure issue when you put the update files on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a formatting issue as the USB drive is already fat32. Media hub is not being read at all by head unit. Plug my phone into it and it won't connect either.

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, those should work if it's going to work at all. I had an 8.4 RA3 this happened with and after updating while directly connected I plugged in the OEM hub again and everything worked.

Ok, I was able to use the adapter cord to connect the USB drive. It took forever, for it to connect to it. I actually had to turn power off and magically the radio read USB drive. So, I am updated. Jury is still out if it rectified the HVAC control issues.

Unlike your situation, after the update, the radio still won't connect/read the new media hub. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Do you have a media hub cable part number handy by chance?

dh

1118201624_HDR.jpg

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I was able to use the adapter cord to connect the USB drive. It took forever, for it to connect to it. I actually had to turn power off and magically the radio read USB drive. So, I am updated. Jury is still out if it rectified the HVAC control issues.

Unlike your situation, after the update, the radio still won't connect/read the new media hub. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Do you have a media hub cable part number handy by chance?

dh

View attachment 227862

I have a Media Hub out of my 2017 I could sell.
d0b1281c25c6054e76d66fc779604e89.jpg
a4b4617da2faeec8a62973ee126bdf2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

dh

View attachment 227862
Do you have a center console or a jump seat? Does the hub power devices but not read or is it completely dead?

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a center console or a jump seat? Does the hub power devices but not read or is it completely dead?

Center console
I believe the hub is receiving power as it has the blue backlighting illuminated. I purchased and tried a new OEM media hub with no change.
It is not acknowledging the USB device that is plugged into the port. I have tried a flash drive and my phone and neither connect.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Center console
I believe the hub is receiving power as it has the blue backlighting illuminated.illuminated.
It is not acknowledging the USB device that is plugged into the port. I have tried a flash drive and my phone and neither connect.
Under your driver seat is a series of electrical connectors. Nearest the center console you will see several attached to a mounting bracket. You can try re-seating those, wiggling the wires and/or inspecting for damage.

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Under your driver seat is a series of electrical connectors. Nearest the center console you will see several attached to a mounting bracket. You can try re-seating those, wiggling the wires and/or inspecting for damage.

Thanks, I will give that area a look.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, thanks. I already tried a brand new one. So that is not the issue.

In my 2017 under the center console the USB cable is there and there is a USB connection that may have come loose. So there are 2 USB cables in my 2017 to reach the center console. One is male to female and the other one is male to male. I see them on eBay but I don’t know if they are exact Mopar part numbers you would need.
68141323aa
68158772ab

To test the first leg of the cable you could try an old USB hub with standard mini-b male connector.

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my 2017 under the center console the USB cable is there and there is a USB connection that may have come loose. So there are 2 USB cables in my 2017 to reach the center console. One is male to female and the other one is male to male. I see them on eBay but I don’t know if they are exact Mopar part numbers you would need.
68141323aa
68158772ab

To test the first leg of the cable you could try an old USB hub with standard mini-b male connector.

I believe mine is setup the same way (2 cables). I will do some more trouble shooting. Thanks for the insight.

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having the same issue. I have a 2016 Bighorn with the center console. The media hub illuminates but the head unit doesn't seem to read it. I've tried plugging my phone in, I've tried an SD card and I've tried a USB stick with music files and nothing is happening. I formatted a brand new 16GB USB stick and unzipped the download files to it and it doesn't even read that. I even left the truck running for about 20 minutes with the stick plugged in and nothing updated.